Creaking windshield??

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Creaking windshield??

Post by jburner »

I installed the Givi windshield on my new to me Forza 300 and I notice that it creaks a lot while riding over bumps etc. What did I do wrong on installation? Too loose? Too tight? Does it take some time to form to the bike? Any tips on how to get rid of that creaking sound?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Creaking windshield??

Post by davenowherejones »

My Honda Tall screen came with rubber washers which had to be put on in the correct order.

Is you GIVI the fixed or the adjustable screen?

I would guess it is too loose.

Try and isolate where the creaks are coming from by moving the top of the screen while parked.

Also is it the screen or one of the body panels?

Almost all of my plastic pushpin rivets broke on my 2014. I ended up replacing them with sheet metal roofing screws with rubber washers. I still get squeaks all over the place.

It was a cheap scooter with piss poor design. Mine had no oil in the forks. It was dropped by the chinese owner in a parking lot and written off at about 1200 km because the bar end was scratched. A mirror scratched also (fraud?)

BUT I also now have 115 thousand kilometers (71 thousand miles) and counting.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

Non adjustable Givi and rubber washers are both inside and outside. Seems to be one side. I’ll try to tighten it and see if that makes any difference. The OeM small screen didn’t make any noise, but then again, it wasn’t much of a screen either.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Left side?

If you look at the old screen there should be a strip of foam stuck on the left and right sides. I think Givi mentions in the instructions that you should remove these from the old screen and stick them to your new screen. I didn't do it with my AirFlow and it very rarely creaks. If it does I push and pull the screen and it stops the bodywork from rubbing where the screen and bodywork meets.

Congrats on getting the bike. $2500 was a good price.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:I didn't do it with my AirFlow and it very rarely creaks. If it does I push and pull the screen and it stops the bodywork from rubbing...
I’m confused by this...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I know this is a Forza subject but my PCX use to creak once I installed the Tall Givi windshield. I found that the rubber washers that are on both sides of the install bolts had worn out. I bought a small sheet of gasket material and made some replacements. No more creaking.

Make sure that you DO NOT tighten the bolts without those types of washers. It will cause your windshield to crack at those stress points.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

Mel46 wrote:I know this is a Forza subject but my PCX use to creak once I installed the Tall Givi windshield. I found that the rubber washers that are on both sides of the install bolts had worn out. I bought a small sheet of gasket material and made some replacements. No more creaking.

Make sure that you DO NOT tighten the bolts without those types of washers. It will cause your windshield to crack at those stress points.
I did install the rubber washers on both sides of the windshield as pictured. It didn't mention anything about transferring any rubber bumpers from the previous shield. I'll have to play around with it and maybe I'll try running electrical tape along both sides of the windshield to keep it from making contact with the plastic.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

Found out it was the red panel. I took it off and added electrical tape to the back side where it was making contact with the windscreen. No more creaking.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had that particular problem as well. I ended up sanding off some of the plastic panel AND the windshield where it rubbed. I did this because I found on the second tall windshield that I installed there was actually a small amount of the windshield that went beyond where the first windshield did, so it pressed against the panel. (I have 2 of the same year bikes, so I could compare them when the newest one did not fit correctly. )
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

I fixed this problem with teflon anti-chafing tape.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring