heated grips

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

heated grips

Post by dergav »

Just an information/experience post.Only relevant for wimps like me in colder climates!
Had Oxford heated grips on my SWing...they worked very well, wired straight to battery, and were effective but I found the small control box unsightly and not easy to operate with gloves on( 5 levels of control by pressing a small button) ..they turned off when engine cut so that saved the battery as I would never remember to turn the unit off.
Put Datatool heated grips on Forza and to date have found them excellent.Wired straight to battery ( fairly easy if taking time to fiddle about with running the wiring). Cut out similar to Oxford so saving battery...three setting levels, which is ample, worked by a roller switch more easily operated when riding.Care needed on fitting as the roller switch can slightly obstruct the horn button.
The hardest job when fitting was filing down the standard Honda ribbed fitting under the existing Forza grips...I think you need to see that to understand it...but that took the most time.
Overall the Datatool heated grips are great... IMO.
As I say...just for information...not wishing to start any debate as I am sure there will be other excellent heated grips around but info may be useful to anyone considering heated grips.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: heated grips

Post by glencoeman »

I used a small sandpaper flap wheel in a dremel type tool to file down the ridges on the throttle tube - only took a couple of minutes - when I fitted my Oxford heated grips.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Very useful information.
The controller on the Datatool ones is much neater.
How much are the Datatool ones and how does that compare with the price of the Honda ones?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Think I paid about £55/60 delivered for the Datatool ( Ebay)...and fairly easily fitted by me who is not in any way mechanically experienced....but like fiddling with things. The Datatool control roller is a triffle stiff to operate but easier than the Oxford ones I had on SWing ( wee button awkward to press with gloves on I found.)
Discounted the Honda ones due mainly to price ( although I am sure they will be easy to operate) ...seem to remember they were around £200? ( that may be fitted?)...but also due to some less than enthusiastic reviews I read...
One thing...The Datool ones make the hand grip thicker...which I quite like...I have a hired Forza at present while mine is being repaired and I now know I prefer thicker grips....but if you dont like thicker grips they wont suit.