Tucano Urbano Leg Cover Review (initial impressions)

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Dink99
Year: 2014
Color: Grey

Re: Tucano Urbano Leg Cover Review (initial impressions)

Post by Dink99 »

Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply and for your initial posting. I will try re-tightening the straps over the weekend and double check the fitting again. Interesting that you mention the Bib, as I also sent an email to Tucano Urbano on Saturday and they also suggested using the Bib, which I haven't tried yet. I will post if it shows any improvement, and thanks for the suggestion.

As I mentioned, its a great bike for riding in London, and more 'in' the scooter than some you see who seemed to be perched looking a little top-heavy.
hfnut

Post by hfnut »

Dink99: you can also try boots that go above your ankle. Those help a lot when it's really cold. You can always take them off when you get to work if you don't want to wear them there. I have added the Honda top case to mine and with it I have an incredible amount of storage capacity. I can go shopping and put several bags worth of stuff on my Forza. It's like a truck with two wheels LOL! You can always get an insulated riding suit if it's really frosty! I wear mine when it gets into the 20 degree F range and it keeps me warm and toasty! My suit zips and unzips easily and is waterproof too! In the US these suits are pretty inexpensive. I'm thinking in the 100 to 200 dollar range for this type of suit but I don't know about the prices in London. Scooter Wear may carry those in your part of the world. I have installed a set of bar muffs (Tucano Urbano makes a really good set) that work really well, warm and waterproof. Good luck with everything and ride safe.

Ron
Dink99
Color: Grey

Post by Dink99 »

Hi Ron

I have all the clothing I wear on my 'naked' bike including boots, it's purely subjective I know but it feels colder on the scooter than it does riding on my BMW when the temp is a lot lower than it currently is. I think I will go for the Bar Muffs as they should help. I will remove and refit the Termoscud to see if I have missed something as trying the chest cover didn't help significantly. Thanks for your suggestions.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Over the past two weeks we have seen a lot of heavy rain and high winds. I have been using this leg cover on my 2013 PCX. My take on it is a 9/10 only because I get a slight draft around my ankles. However that being said I am dry, warm and cozy. I even went so far as to wear sweat pants, go for a 70km ride in the pouring rain to test it. Came out bone dry! Oh, and even at 90-100km/hr it was flawless. The ankle problem solved with knee high socks. By the way the fellows at Scooter-wear.com are fantastic to do business with.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Ashchips
Color: Black

Post by Ashchips »

Hi all

Been a members for a few months and have found this forum very useful.

I would love to have a ride out with anyone from North London now that the summer looks like it has arrived. Please let me know if you are available.

I bought my 2013 NSS300 Forza a couple of months ago and find it very comfortable and a complete joy to ride.

I have tried to fit the Urbano Tucano cover yesterday and found the instructions were not very clear but finally managed to fit it on except for the straps which go under the front wheel faring and into the push-button studs. The studs do not go back into their slots with the strap attached to them.

The other issue is with the two straps which go under the belly of the bike. I have not managed to find a suitable anchorage point for the (third) extendable strap which then in turn provides for the taut fitting for the two frontal straps. I hope this makes sense. Anyone who can help with any suggestions?

:? :? :? :? :? :?
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

I bought and installed the Tucano Urbano Thermoscud cover for my Forza last October, installed it early November, and took it off when things started to warm up permanently in mid-March.

First piece of advice for anyone else wanting to use this: be sure you have replacements for those push-pin body clips that they use instead of decent screws down in the front of the bike below the radiator. I broke one of those taking it out and the other putting it in with the extra depth of the Thermoscud strap. I bought a bag (6) from the local dealer so I don't have to think about it so much.

Second: for those of us in countries with the parking brake.
You're going to have to cut a hole in the Thermoscud, and to (un)install the beast you will have to take off the lever for the parking brake. I, my own self, just cut the thing with my pocket knife and will stitch up the excess cut before I re-install it next winter.

Those warnings aside....

This was a huge help last winter. I love the Thermoscud, am glad I bought it, and would buy it again. The comments above are correct about fueling up (more difficult with the lap blanket in place) and protection (much better when you pull the bib out of its pocket and snap the straps behind you to hold it up). But with the Thermoscud in place, my Givi adjustable screen, and the hand muffs, I didn't really need to wear a rain suit when the sky was weeping, even when it was near freezing out. And the Thermoscud includes a seat cover for rainy days, so I never really used my Cool Ass cover for the last eight months.

I was skeptical about the attachments on the underside of the scooter, I fully expected a failure sometime around January or February. But the thing stayed in place and did its job until the day I took it off.

And there were several days as the cold season was ending that I rode with the blanket strapped up out of the way, but was glad a couple of days later that I could pull it back down and over my lower torso.

Tucano Urbano has done a good job with this. I am a happy buyer/user.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Ashchips wrote:I have tried to fit the Urbano Tucano cover yesterday and found the instructions were not very clear but finally managed to fit it on except for the straps which go under the front wheel faring and into the push-button studs.

I broke one of those push-pin body connectors when I was taking it out and the other when I was installing the Thermoscud. Heres' what worked for me:

I put the body pin / push pin / push-button stud / whatever the heck we call those things into the Thermoscud strap.

I pushed the pin (with the strap) into its hole in the scooter.

I then took a broad, thick flat head screwdriver and pushed firmly on the outside ring of the push-pin / stupid thing that should be a screw.

Then I pushed the pin in using my finger tip.

This was what worked for me, after I had broken a couple of those idiotic body pins.
6 other previous bikes
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

MikeP wrote:I have been using this leg cover on my 2013 PCX.
I parked my Forza with its Thermoscud and Givi box at a grocery store last winter right next to a PCX with a Thermoscud and a Givi box.

It was a nice moment here in the Deep South of the USofA, where what I mainly end up parking next to are ginormous SUVs that get ~10 mpg.
6 other previous bikes
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Awesome! Would have liked a picture of that...
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

MBMyer wrote:
MikeP wrote:I have been using this leg cover on my 2013 PCX.
I parked my Forza with its Thermoscud and Givi box at a grocery store last winter right next to a PCX with a Thermoscud and a Givi box.

It was a nice moment here in the Deep South of the USofA, where what I mainly end up parking next to are ginormous SUVs that get ~10 mpg.
Twas I.

And last week I was quite thrilled to come out of the grocery store to find a Forza sharing my space
(both without Thermoscuds, since it's summer here now).
Richard
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Richard »

I purchased one today.....bargain fair weather price so I could not say no.
Can they be folded away and not used when the weather is nice?
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

DailyRider wrote:Twas I.

And last week I was quite thrilled to come out of the grocery store to find a Forza sharing my space
(both without Thermoscuds, since it's summer here now).
It's good to see another Euro-commuter here in the Deep South. There should be many, many more of us.

Michael
6 other previous bikes
Richard
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Richard »

Richard wrote:I purchased one today.....bargain fair weather price so I could not say no.
Tried fitting it today......think I got the wrong one, does not seem to even come close!
The one I brought is a R164... Anyone know if this is correct for a 2014 Forza, there website tells me it is correct, my fitting experience tells different.
Richard
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Richard »

Right finally fitted......don't like it, eBay here it comes!
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

I just went to install my TU leg cover for its second season (also here in Columbia, SC, where we've had a few morning commutes near freezing temps in the last couple of weeks). A buckle broke and the fabric ripped when I went to do my last little bit of tightening. So, when I had thought I was done, I had to spend a bit more than an hour doing repairs. The post (with pix) is here:

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6997

Pax et bonum,
Michael
6 other previous bikes
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Richard wrote:
Richard wrote:I purchased one today.....bargain fair weather price so I could not say no.
Tried fitting it today......think I got the wrong one, does not seem to even come close!
The one I brought is a R164... Anyone know if this is correct for a 2014 Forza, there website tells me it is correct, my fitting experience tells different.
R164 is what I have installed on my 2014 Forza 300. The only difficulty was that it is made for the European market, which doesn't have the parking brake, so I had to cut a hole, pull off the brake handle, install the Thermoscud, and then re-install the parking brake lever (which I can't actually use with the Thermoscud in place).

This year, putting it on for the second time, I had both fabric rip and plastic break. Here's my fix:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6997

Michael
6 other previous bikes