Rear shock options

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Honda4me

Rear shock options

Post by Honda4me »

I know this has been discussed previously but I'd like to propose a thread dedicated to those who have upgraded the suspension on Forza 300.

Has anyone got installation (during or after) pics with feedback on the changing of entire shocks or springs to share?

What options for spring replacement? What options for entire shock replacements? What options for fork modifications or change?
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Rear shock options

Post by Hoyt »

I have been said that the change can be done in 10 minutes, with a 14mm wrench. Umm, not so sure if the side cover has to be removed. I think i will order the YSS very soon, to find confort at slow speed in the paris bad streets.

YSS TC302-400T-04-85
6000 baths / 134 euros

Ohlins APK04OH54200TA
25000 bahts / 561 euros

Malossi RS24
280$

Bitubo WMB-02
340 euros
Honda4me

Post by Honda4me »

From what I gather there are 2 types of YSS shock. 1 is non-adjustable and 1 is manually adjustable. Can anyone give a riders report on the performance of each of these?

The standard read shocks are an embarrassment to Honda. Just how much of an improvement is to be expected from the YSS models?

At 90kg I find the rear shocks have horrible performance which over time I feel would hurt my back over potholes and bumps. When I ride 2-up (total about 140kg) the ride significantly smooths and bumps become far less noticable. How can this be when the bike is (I guess?) aimed at the lighter-weight asian market?

Anyways, rider reviews of the aftermarket shock options most welcome here!
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Hoyt »

There is also YSS TZ362-400TR, but never see them to sell.

By the way, i call my dealer, they dont know about others shock than honda :roll:
And they told be about 2 hours of work ... ummm I will do myself !

Great !
Attachments
forza TZ362-400TR.jpg
forza TZ362-400TR.jpg (463.72 KiB) Viewed 16908 times
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Hoyt »

YSS TC302-400T Ordered !
Z-Mac
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Z-Mac »

Where did you guys ordered these shocks from?
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Hoyt »

Got one, the other one is at post office, and i think i got tax to pay !! First time with air mail.

The point is to get how to mount this, not sure i can mount it without removing all plastic parts.
Attachments
Yes ! Need other one.
Yes ! Need other one.
IMG_3496 - Copie.JPG (227.41 KiB) Viewed 16759 times
alexgrey

Post by alexgrey »

Hello dear forumers,

I am a lucky owner of the new pcx 125 2014. I like everything in this model except the rear suspension and windshield. I already read this forum and decided to YSS z-offset suspension TE-302-310T 70-90 kgs. Contrary to expected it had only spring preload adjustment and not rebound dumping.
Anyway, after playing with the spring preload I found that it is perfect when I drive duo (120kgs) but still too harsh when I drive alone (75kg). I feel that suspension has little bouncing on the road irregularities and thus still hitting hard on the back like the original.

Could you please recommend what should I change to make it softer? Do I have to buy a smaller size for 50-70 kgs (smaller spring rate) or try the one with adjustable compression and rebound dumping? Or try the one with adjustable size?

Thanks in advance!
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Hoyt »

On French pcx forums, they say that Z-offset is the best you can get but thats still not the ultimate confort.

Anyway, you are in forza section, so maybe better informations on pcx section :D
alan
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by alan »

im thinking maybe different shocks might not help roughness on bumps could be in scooter design I had a 1800 vtx Honda it was the same way also an aprilia sport city same way.the red yss shocks sure look nice
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Hoyt »

Thats done in 30 minutes and 1 beer, easy la !

Have to test it on monday.
Attachments
IMG_3548.jpg
IMG_3548.jpg (121.61 KiB) Viewed 16525 times
IMG_3551.jpg
IMG_3551.jpg (117.75 KiB) Viewed 16525 times
IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 16525 times
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Will be really interested in your view after testing..thanks..
and where ordered and cost?
cheers....
Hoyt
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Hoyt »

It comes from bangkok : bikerzbits.com, 240 € and surprise 50€ for custom fees.

For the moment, nothing very different. Its new, i have to ride a little, and have to find the right setup.
Attachments
IMG_3559.JPG
IMG_3559.JPG (145.65 KiB) Viewed 16499 times
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG (154.36 KiB) Viewed 16499 times
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG (139.07 KiB) Viewed 16499 times
IMG_3560.JPG
IMG_3560.JPG (109.16 KiB) Viewed 16499 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Hoyt wrote:It comes from bangkok : bikerzbits.com, 240 € and surprise 50€ for custom fees.

For the moment, nothing very different. Its new, i have to ride a little, and have to find the right setup.
I am thinking that this idea of fitting some very pretty new aftermarket shocks to vastly improve the ride of our scooter's rear end is a bit of a pipe dream...
We ride a scooter.
It is not an adventure motorcycle with huge amounts of shock travel available...Our scoot is not designed for that.
Some Forza riders complain about the ride - the smoothness, softness, the harshness of this scooter's ride at the rear.
If you come to the Forza from a smaller, lighter, shorter scooter - you might feel as do I, that this is a pretty smooth riding scooter as it is presented to us by Honda. If you're coming from a Buick to a scooter then this scoot's ride is going to be a source of complaint.
Unless the shocks are worn out on your Forza, I doubt very seriously that any 2, 3, or $400 imported, aftermarket shock is going to add to the shock 'travel', or much improve the shock's abitltiy to deal with rough roads. It is a scooter....not a dirt bike!
We'd all like our scooter to have twice its suspension travel....and be a whole lot more forgiving over the rough roads and rail crossings...But it cannot do that as a scooter.
Honda didn't just toss this shock on from a bin of parts - this is the shock which Honda feels is the best compromise.
Those add-on shocks are very pretty ---but I have never read a review that stated that these after-market shocks gave more suspension travel -- or added any smoothness to the ride! Never.
I would be delighted to be proven wrong!....
Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

To add to my comments on after-market shocks....
There is one thing which I have seen that greatly improves the rider's comfort over-the-road...
That is to rework the seat with more, or better quality seating-specific foam, and a recover.
This costs no more than these pricey shocks....and you would be impressed at how your desire for a pricey pair of after-market shocks fades away as your bottom becomes better insulated from the antics of your rear wheel.
Truly, this has worked for me and for other scooter riders I know.
Just like that - we all stopped hunting that elusive magic shock for our scoots!
Fish
TechFrog

Post by TechFrog »

fish wrote:
Hoyt wrote:It comes from bangkok : bikerzbits.com, 240 € and surprise 50€ for custom fees.

I am thinking that this idea of fitting some very pretty new aftermarket shocks to vastly improve the ride of our scooter's rear end is a bit of a pipe dream...
We ride a scooter.
It is not an adventure motorcycle with huge amounts of shock travel available...Our scoot is not designed for that.
Some Forza riders complain about the ride - the smoothness, softness, the harshness of this scooter's ride at the rear.
If you come to the Forza from a smaller, lighter, shorter scooter - you might feel as do I, that this is a pretty smooth riding scooter as it is presented to us by Honda. If you're coming from a Buick to a scooter then this scoot's ride is going to be a source of complaint.
Unless the shocks are worn out on your Forza, I doubt very seriously that any 2, 3, or $400 imported, aftermarket shock is going to add to the shock 'travel', or much improve the shock's abitltiy to deal with rough roads. It is a scooter....not a dirt bike!
We'd all like our scooter to have twice its suspension travel....and be a whole lot more forgiving over the rough roads and rail crossings...But it cannot do that as a scooter.
Honda didn't just toss this shock on from a bin of parts - this is the shock which Honda feels is the best compromise.
Those add-on shocks are very pretty ---but I have never read a review that stated that these after-market shocks gave more suspension travel -- or added any smoothness to the ride! Never.
I would be delighted to be proven wrong!....
Fish
Sadly, your logic falls on deaf ears here. I've owned 18 motorcycles and 5 scooters and nearing 300,000 miles on two wheels. Sometimes shocks are good, sometimes bad. Forza's are simply bad. The whole idea that Honda has presented us with a smooth scooter is bull. Honda did indeed create a great scooter with the Forza, except for the suspension. Period. This is my opinion and the opinion of many other Forza riders. Was it a deal breaker for me? No, because you can upgrade suspension. Comparing to an adventure bike is foolish, since they are indeed two different things, but ride comfort and predictable handling are considered "good" things when it comes to anything you ride. You have to understand, Honda, and all motorcycle manufacturers, always compromise on things, here or there to keep the bikes somewhat affordable. The shocks are of poor to mediocre quality and it's simply a cost issue when it came to mass production. I've had bikes and scooter with great shocks from the factory, and others with horrible ones. My NC700x has slightly sub-par braking and a horrible seat from the factory. Compromises are common. Sargent took a few $$ from me, and the seat issue was solved. As for the Forza, the suspension was Honda's compromise and is my only real issue with the scooter, and after investing $6500 or so on it, customizing the suspension for a few hundred more is well worth it to round it out. And the jury is out; those that have upgraded are rewarded with a better ride.

I'm not sure what Forza you got, but if you say it's "smooth," then, more power to ya. Mine knocks my fillings loose and makes me cry to ride my PCX150 more.

Shocks, soon to be ordered. Now it's just down to YSS or Malossi or?????? More research to come.

-Jim
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

TechFrog wrote:
fish wrote:

Shocks, soon to be ordered. Now it's just down to YSS or Malossi or?????? More research to come.

-Jim
As I said, will be glad to be proven wrong!
We'd all like to find that great shock.
Fish
Benggolf
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Benggolf »

We have a 2014 Honda Forza 300 and still find that the seat height is a bit too high for me even with the shocks adjusted to
the lowest pre-load setting.

I can manage, but would prefer if I can buy a set of aftermarket rear shock absorbers that is about 1" to 2" shorter (in over all length) compared to the OEM ones.

Would like adjustable ones like the Ohlins or YSS. Where can I order them in the US or Canada. Am located in Richmond, BC, Canada.
Thanks for any help.

Benggolf
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

Benggolf wrote:We have a 2014 Honda Forza 300 and still find that the seat height is a bit too high for me even with the shocks adjusted to

I can manage, but would prefer if I can buy a set of aftermarket rear shock absorbers that is about 1" to 2" shorter (in over all length) compared to the OEM ones.

Would like adjustable ones like the Ohlins or YSS. Where can I order them in the US or Canada. Am located in Richmond, BC, Canada.
Thanks for any help.

Benggolf
The shocks themselves, while adjustable, I don't believe are adjustable for ride height. They are adjustable for bounce and rebound only. Somewhere in here, I did see a link for lowering kits for the Forza. No sure where it was, but I'll look for it when I get another chance.
Image, Image
Benggolf
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Benggolf »

wilbur wrote:
Benggolf wrote:We have a 2014 Honda Forza 300 and still find that the seat height is a bit too high for me even with the shocks adjusted to

Thanks for any help.

Benggolf
The shocks themselves, while adjustable, I don't believe are adjustable for ride height. They are adjustable for bounce and rebound only. Somewhere in here, I did see a link for lowering kits for the Forza. No sure where it was, but I'll look for it when I get another chance.
OK, Thank you. Much appreciated.