Problem with the wind

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

bobontour
Year: 2016
Color: White

Problem with the wind

Post by bobontour »

Hi First post so here goes.
I've had my PCX for 3 months now this is my 3rd Honda and i love it, yes i agree about the seat not closing easily but you get used to it. I love the idle stop when i had got used to that.
My only problem is i live on the coast where it can be a little windy now in the passed this has not been that much of a problem i learnt to adjust so i was o.k, But this bike i feel that the wheels are going to go from under me and i don't seem to have as much control. I wondered if anybody else has noticed this. But i still love it. :roll:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Problem with the wind

Post by gn2 »

The secret to riding in crosswinds is to relax.
Don't tense up and don't grip the bars tightly.
Just think where you want the scooter to go and may the force be with you.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The secret to riding in crosswinds is to relax.

Ok. I want my scooter to go into Kelly McGuinesses shower

I'm thinking real hard...
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

bobontour wrote: My only problem is i live on the coast where it can be a little windy now in the passed this has not been that much of a problem i learnt to adjust so i was o.k, But this bike i feel that the wheels are going to go from under me and i don't seem to have as much control. I wondered if anybody else has noticed this. But i still love it. :roll:
welcome to the forum! I had both issues with my pcx. the seat can be fixed by adjusting the 3 screws underneath. look up past threads on seat closing issues or, if under warranty, the service dept at the dealer can take care of it. the second issue with the wind is one of my issues. I ended up getting a large
GIVI windscreen which helped immensely. and, as gn2 said, just relax instead of tensing up with a wind burst. with that said, the scooter is nimble but it is also light in weight and easily pushed around by the wind. I have had the tires hop, like you are referring to. more weight in the storage area helps, as does weight in a trunk bag. personally, if the wind is over 15 mph, I take my truck instead of my pcx.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:

That hard thing isn't for thinking with.....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:

That hard thing isn't for thinking with.....
Did you say thinking?
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I have the same problem with the wind. For a while I had a Givi tall windscreen and that eliminated the problem with the wind, but since I had to look through the screen rather than over it, riding in rain or mist or fog got to be a big problem, so I switched to a lower screen. As soon as I switched to the lower screen, the instability in wind returned. The problem I have is exactly as you describe it---it feels like the wheels are going to be knocked out sideways from under the bike. Relaxing doesn't help, nor do any of the other common tricks riders recommend. I wish I could find a solution other than using the Givi tall windscreen.
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Why can't you guys use the tall screen and trim to fit?
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Ratster wrote:Why can't you guys use the tall screen and trim to fit?
Cutting down the screen does seem like a quick, easy fix, but I don't have the tools or skills to do a good job of it myself, and taking it to a glass shop ends up costing too much. I had a glass shop cut down another screen on a different bike for me. I had carefully placed tape on the screen where I thought it would be the right height and rode around with the screen taped for a while before I took it to the shop to make sure the cut would be where I wanted it. The shop cut it just like I wanted it, but it ended up not working out anyway. I don't know if cutting it changes the aerodynamics or what but it just didn't work well for me.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Or, perhaps "inquire" about a Laminar Lip from here http://www.laminarlip.com/products.php
Below is for a Honda Reflex or Silverwing
(I know "the wind" ya'll are talkin' about, :? and it can be intimidating)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.28 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

For just a wee bit more you could get something a lot better looking with the ability to adjust.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-cr ... de-bolt-on

I have one on my V Strom and it works pretty good.
bobontour

Post by bobontour »

Thanks for your suggestions but it's the cross wind which is the problem, it's not bad with a head on wind. :roll:
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

Any two wheeled vehicle will have problems in a cross wind :lol:
bobontour

Post by bobontour »

Yes you do, but as i have already said that on my other Honda bikes i've had you learn to adapt by leaning over slightly to compensate. This is something different as it feels like the wheels are getting blown from underneath you; and you feel like you are about to fall.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have the same problem but have learned how to adapt. The scooter is light. There isn't much that can be done about that. Your body is going to be not only the anchor, but also the sail, and that is the problem. I have had larger bikes and have had the same problem. Think about how you feel in a small car when you pass a semi. Even in the little car you feel the pressure. Well, the 4 wheels hold much better than 2 wheels. There is no real solution except to learn to ride in it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

bobontour wrote:Thanks for your suggestions but it's the cross wind which is the problem, it's not bad with a head on wind. :roll:
I know the crosswind is the problem, but for some reason having the tall Givi windscreen pretty much eliminates the problem. Does anyone here know why having a tall windscreen would eliminate a crosswind problem??? It doesn't seem to make much sense but it works.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Let me qualify this by saying I have no experience or education in aerodynamics, so I'm just guessing until someone with knowledge speaks up.
My guess is that the larger shield would create more downward pressure, similar to a spoiler on an automobile, thus creating more stability.
An alternative would be to gain weight, creating more downward pressure also :lol:
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

the tall GIVI windscreen DID solve the wind issue. and yes, you have to look through it because it is so tall. I asked the question a while back if rain-x on the windshield helped you look through it while riding in the rain but never received a definitive answer. I looked on other forums and found that lemon pledge was suggested instead of rain-x, as rain-x breaks down items made of plastic. so, getting back to the original wind question, the large GIVI solves the wind issue and lemon pledge solves the rain and fog issue. Cold, pelting rainy days with the wind over 15mph, the Ford Ranger solves all the issues!
illegal
Regular User
Regular User

Post by illegal »

Today I experimented a bit, because it was way too windy here. My conclusion is, that maximum safe side wind for PCX is around 20 m/s (40 knots). It is this windy here for 2 days now, with stable 10 m/s and 20 m/s in burst and today I almost fell while I was doing 60 km/h and hit by strong side wind burst. It was not difficult to hold it, but I was scared :D With stable strong side wind it was relatively OK, but here it newer blows steadily.
So I recommend to not ride if forecast says the wind will have more than 20 m/s in bursts.
2013 Honda PCX 125
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/569523.html
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397726877.707622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397726877.707622.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 4453 times