Align handlebar and forks

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Align handlebar and forks

Post by Austins »

I had noticed a bit of mis-alignment with my handlebar a while back, well maybe shortly after I got the bike 2 years ago, but it's very very slight, basically I feel the right side of handlebar is a bit closer to me and it's not 100% vertical with the wheel...

As it's hardly noticable I left it, but I have a bit of right elbow ache/problem recently that could be due to combination of various things, laptop and phone use being two, but also some after a long ride...!

So I moved the handlebar a bit forward on advice of my friend who said that might help. But I also wanted to fix the mis-alignment too.

So read about it a bit online and according to a few YouTube videos, for other bikes, need to loosen up the fork punch bolts , two each side and then press on the handlebar to work the forks or try to twist slightly to get full alignment...

Well, as I have zero tools and space, took it to the small scooter bike mechanic round the corner, well young boy really, who helped moving the handlebar and I asked him to do just this operation. He had no experience in this and looked at me with horror , said no way you should do that, I think he didn't know what to do and said it's such a small thing it's not worth it etc. etc. - maybe lazy to do a small job with little pay off perhaps being another reason...!

Anyway, I left it for now, but wondered is that the correct procedure anyway...!?
canthai
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Align handlebar and forks

Post by canthai »

Stand facing the rear of the bike with the front wheel between your legs.
Grasp the front wheel with your legs so it can not move.
Grab the handlebars and twist in whichever direction you want them to move.
Test ride - adjust as necessary
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

Yes, I heard this and used to do it to my bicycles a lot, but if it's so loose that it can be aligned like that, wouldn't it go out of alignment on the next pothole or round a bend etc...!?

I thought I need to find the place that holds the alignment together, loosen the bolts there , align and tighten it properly again...
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Sorry but if you have to ask this question then you are not qualified to do the job. Let someone else do the work.

Top of the forks there are 4 pinch bolts, undo, align, tighten to 51 lbft, 69 Nm. No guarantees.

Are the handlebars bent? Defective? Has the scooter been dropped?
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

Austins wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 am Yes, I heard this and used to do it to my bicycles a lot, but if it's so loose that it can be aligned like that, wouldn't it go out of alignment on the next pothole or round a bend etc...!?

I thought I need to find the place that holds the alignment together, loosen the bolts there , align and tighten it properly again...
I have had good luck using this method if the alignment adjustment is small.
If you want a more intensive procedure you would have to remove plastic, loosen pinch bolts on top and bottom yoke. Then stand bike upright and compress by hand the forks a few times, keeping the front wheel against a wall or something so it can not move. Retighten pinch bolts and test ride. Reinstall plastics.
This method for forks that are a way out - small adjustments easy as I have detailed previous.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

Yes, that's what I read and saw on YouTube too...

I don't do any repairs myself, but in here you need to know exactly what the procedure is so can supervise the guys call themselves mechanics, and watch them every step, otherwise they totally mess up your bike..., even the official Honda dealers are not much better...!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

This might sound odd and I imagine some may dispute and I don't care ........ but ..... after 50+ years of riding all sorts of MCs, I've learned to store a MC over the winter or any longer period using a center stand with the front wheel pointed straight. I've learned that many times a MC stored on the side stand with the front end turned down will require truing-up in the Spring. Easy & quick to do on a MC without all the plastic, not so much on a PCX.

Anyone who thinks it takes a lot to twist a front end has never ridden a vintage dirt bike LoL.