Headlights. replaced bulbs - stopped working

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

knick620
Year: 2013
Color: grey

Headlights. replaced bulbs - stopped working

Post by knick620 »

Hoping someone can help. I upgraded my headlight bulbs to Phillips +130%, from two standard bulbs. The new bulbs worked until I pressed the 'pass' switch going through switch checks. The engine wasnt running. now I have no headlights working, either with or without engine running.

I tried the old bulbs back in and still nothing. checked the fuses and they are ok. I have a feeling it may be the relay, I am happy to buy one to try, but don't really want to waste money or time. A couple of questions:

how do I get to the front relays?
Anyone have any good ideas regarding the failed lights?

Clearly the scoot is off the road until the lights are fixed, so timely assistance is really appreciated.
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Re: Headlights. replaced bulbs - stopped working

Post by Gil »

Do you have an image of the bulbs?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

There are 3 fuse locations. Have you checked them all?

It sounds like you are in UK? Your Forza's are slightly different than Canadian or US ones. We have no pass button.

The relays are under the y shaped trim around the headlights. Mine was difficult to remove and tabs got broken.

I put hotter bulbs in my Forza. They did not last very long. I replaced them with LED's but the focus is wrong. I would stick with regular halogens and add LED's down at fender level or maybe even sticking out the side of the fairing. UK sounds like they don't like extra lights. Canada (BC) no one cares.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Is yours a PCX or a Forza? If it is a PCX most relays are under the black instrument panel cover. What's a Pass switch? Are you talking about the Hi/Lo dimmer switch? Had you tried the High beam when you had the new bulbs? Some members reported having no high beam, but I would have to read more on the circumstances. To be honest, I am looking at the wiring diagram right now and I don't see a relay in the headlight circuit. There is a 15 amp headlight fuse though {D}. Change that, whether you think it needs it or not.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

knick620 wrote:I upgraded my headlight bulbs to Phillips +130%
Are they definitely 35/35w halogens...?

Have you tried putting the originals back in...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Gil wrote:Do you have an image of the bulbs?
This could be useful. The bulbs are rated at 450 hours, and flashing them to pass will shorten that life. There's a good chance one popped and took a fuse with it.
Mel46 wrote:Is yours a PCX or a Forza? If it is a PCX most relays are under the black instrument panel cover. What's a Pass switch? Are you talking about the Hi/Lo dimmer switch? Had you tried the High beam when you had the new bulbs? Some members reported having no high beam, but I would have to read more on the circumstances. To be honest, I am looking at the wiring diagram right now and I don't see a relay in the headlight circuit. There is a 15 amp headlight fuse though {D}. Change that, whether you think it needs it or not.
He said a Forza, and his sig. has 2013 Forza
gn2 wrote:
That's another concern, bulbs are highly counterfeit, and many on eBay are Chinese knock-offs that draw excessive current that can cause electrical problems. He said he put the originals in and they also don't light. Hopefully a fuse.
davenowherejones wrote:There are 3 fuse locations. Have you checked them all?

It sounds like you are in UK? Your Forza's are slightly different than Canadian or US ones. We have no pass button.

The relays are under the y shaped trim around the headlights. Mine was difficult to remove and tabs got broken.

I put hotter bulbs in my Forza. They did not last very long. I replaced them with LED's but the focus is wrong. I would stick with regular halogens and add LED's down at fender level or maybe even sticking out the side of the fairing. UK sounds like they don't like extra lights. Canada (BC) no one cares.
^^^This is knowledgeable, great advice.
knick620

Post by knick620 »

Gil wrote:Do you have an image of the bulbs?

Gil
Bought from amazon, I replace them as standard in my vehicles.
Attachments
51cO8lm5DrL.jpg
51cO8lm5DrL.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
knick620

Post by knick620 »

davenowherejones wrote:There are 3 fuse locations. Have you checked them all?

Three fuse locations? I have the undersea fuse box and checked them with a multimeter, also the 30a starter.... where else, I don't yet have a workshop manual?
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
knick620

Post by knick620 »

gn2 wrote:

Getting to the route cause, it looks like they are 60/55w, though that what also what was in the scoot. When i tried one old one new the difference was significant, though it was only increasing the load by one bulb, clearly with 2 bulbs at 60/55w it has overloaded the lighting circuit somewhere, its just working out where.

Whe I put the originals back in there is still no light. So either fuse, relay or switch?
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
knick620

Post by knick620 »

Thanks for all of your comments. I have a Forza 300 uk 2013, the pass switch on the uk model is on the left, along with the indicators and the headlight (full/low beam) switch.

when I establish where the problem lies (and repair it) the option would be to add led or cree lights separately, unless there is a way to run lights at increased wattage? It is strange that the bulbs I replaced were already 60/55w I guess the increased brightness comes with a penalty.

I will pick up a relay from a honda dealer tomorrow, it would be really useful if anyone could provide a wiring diagram which would help with either switch checking or fuse/relay.
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The fuse is the weakest link and should be blown first . Replace fuses as you might not see the break (filament) inside. Sometimes looking at them can fool you. Just replace it before you buy any relays.
knick620

Post by knick620 »

easyrider wrote:The fuse is the weakest link and should be blown first . Replace fuses as you might not see the break (filament) inside. Sometimes looking at them can fool you. Just replace it before you buy any relays.
I checked the fuses under the seat with a multimeter with current going through all of them so they are good. What I don't know is the location of all the fuses, is there a separate headlight fuse not under the seat?
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Here is a picture from the service manual as to where at least one other fuse box seems to be (right side of handlebar are "fuse Box B"). I looked pretty hard to find out what you have to remove to get to Fuse Box B, but the manual was silent on the issue. Maybe DaveNWJ will let us know if you go in from the front or the back of the handlebar area.
Forza Fuse Locations.pdf
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 182 times
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Weird. I wonder why the image doesn't just appear?
Forza Fuse Locations.pdf
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
knick620

Post by knick620 »

GeorgeSK wrote:Here is a picture from the service manual as to where at least one other fuse box seems to be (right side of handlebar are "fuse Box B"). I looked pretty hard to find out what you have to remove to get to Fuse Box B, but the manual was silent on the issue. Maybe DaveNWJ will let us know if you go in from the front or the back of the handlebar area.
Forza Fuse Locations.pdf
Perfect, that really helps, the relay box and the second fuse box ! looks like I might be able to get it though the rh glovebox (2 screws) or the front panel off to reach the relay box.

Either way I will let you know - thanks :D
2013 Forza 300

BMW S1000XR
KTM 250 XC-f
Suzuki Van Van
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Open the rh glovebox, there are two screws on the top edge of the opening, these release the dash panel above the glovebox and you can access the fusebox.
While you're in there you can stick some tape on one of the connectors on the double filament indicator bulb to disable the orange running light. Same routine on the other side for the left indicator bulb. ;)

Chances are you'll have blown the 10A headlamp fuse.
120w/12v=10a
The stock bulbs look like H4 but are only 35/35w
70w/12v=5.833a
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Two screws on top of the right non-locking storage box, take off the panel. I have two small fuse blocks with covers. The bigger one has H/L which might be High/Low headlights, not sure. Really awkward to see/work in this area. There are spare fuses in the blocks. Page 93 of the owners manual. gn2 beat me to it.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

You could look at getting an LED headlight bulb retrofit. The H4 type bulb is the only one that I have seen being offered as an LED bulb retrofit by a major manufacturer. Phillips is that one company, it's pricey though, as it's only sold outside the US. Here is a review of the H4 bulb. http://www.xenondepot.com/Philips-12953 ... w-s/62.htm

The important thing about the Phillips bulbs is the position of the LEDs that allow for a great light pattern.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Stock canadian model has 35/35w bulbs, protected by fuse G (10A), fusebox B (under the right glove
cover as said above). So stock demand is 2x35 =70w/12v = 5.8 Amps. No way that fuse could
stand 2x60= 120w/12v=10 Amps for long.

There is no headlight relay.

I have no idea how UK's Pass system is wired, but it is highly probable that you're asking too much from your H/L fuse. +130% better, not really.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My fusebox B broke off the metal support. I will have to use some silicone to glue it back together. It is held on by a little 0.5 mm crappy plastic tab. !@#$%^&* Thai plastic.