Forza Steering Bearing

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Forza Steering Bearing

Post by markcap »

Has anyone experienced any issues with the fork bearing in regards to looseness?

The Forza is such a long machine and possibly what I am sensing is a combination due to length and that 13" rear wheel. But something just doesn't feel right at higher speeds.

The manual does states the bearing needs checking at 5000 mi which I have yet to reach...
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Forza Steering Bearing

Post by davenowherejones »

My forks were not on very tightly and also they had almost no oil I suspect.

Check air pressure in both tires. I run 25 front 29 rear.

Check every nut & bolt you can find.

Grab the rear wheel while on the centre stand and give it a shake.

Are the tires in balance?

I weigh about 200 pounds and I have the rear shocks on full soft.

My 2014 with 65,000 km is stable up to full speed at 135 km/h (84 mph) but I have a tall Honda screen and a 55 litre top case with Michelin CityGrip tires.

Hey the temp is 7.2C and it is not raining. Time to have a shower and close this computer down. Riding time!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Re: Forza Steering Bearing

Post by aguim »

Checking the steering adjusting nut's torque is no easy task. It requires removing the handlebar (lots
of stuff hanging around it), then a special Honda 32mm deep socket to loosen the top (lock) nut,
then another special tool to torque that adjusting ringnut itself. I find this the most complicated
maintenance task to be performed on the Forza. Locknut torque is 55 pounds, adjuster ringnut is
2-steps 18/2 pounds. I chose to ignore tool #2 and use an old Honda shock spanner that fits, calibrating the 2-steps by the 'feel of it' ('around' 2 pounds tight is good enough imo).

I checked mine just because the manual says so, and lubed the bearings generously while at it (they
were well greased already).That was 20,000 km ago, the scoot is still dead stable...and no, I'm not
going through that hassle again soon.