Side stand vs center stand

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Stormswift
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Side stand vs center stand

Post by Stormswift »

I'll start by saying I have absolutely no issue with putting Forza on its center stand. Its what I always use when I park. Now because of the type of cover I got for the bike the use of side stand would be highly desirable. My parking lot does have slight incline which could be addressed by putting bike on a wood slab that was evened out so the slab will keep bike straight. The problem is I am not sure how strong is Forza side stand? Logic says it's ok but I had smaller scoot before where side stand use was a sure way to drop a bike. That's why I am so good with center stand use. But, side stand (if safe) is what I would like to use now. If it is strong enough, should I get a shoe for it to prevent sliding? I am talking not just parking to run into a store but say winter storage parking? What do you all think?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Side stand vs center stand

Post by you you »

Stormswift wrote:I'll start by saying I have absolutely no issue with putting Forza on its center stand. Its what I always use when I park. Now because of the type of cover I got for the bike the use of side stand would be highly desirable. My parking lot does have slight incline which could be addressed by putting bike on a wood slab that was evened out so the slab will keep bike straight. The problem is I am not sure how strong is Forza side stand? Logic says it's ok but I had smaller scoot before where side stand use was a sure way to drop a bike. That's why I am so good with center stand use. But, side stand (if safe) is what I would like to use now. If it is strong enough, should I get a shoe for it to prevent sliding? I am talking not just parking to run into a store but say winter storage parking? What do you all think?

Centre stand is much better especially in the wind if the bike is covered.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Ok, where is the bike parked? What country? Inside? Outside? Wind sheltered? Snow? Hot or cold?

I have been using the side stand for a couple of years with no problems. I have a Canadian Forza with no American parking brake. I have to use intelligence on deciding where to park the Forza. I give it a little push to see if it will slide downhill sometimes.

My centre stand was squeaking so I disassembled it and put lots of grease in it. I greased the side stand while I was at it.

It is 2.4C right now. A few days from now is predicted to get above my 5C riding limit. I will have to stay at lower elevations and short distances. Gas is 136.9 CDN per litre and my 4x4 is going to bankrupt me.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am in US. I am using Bike Shield cover. It has a frame and is a **** to assemble. It does provide better coverage than regular cover. Problem is it does not quite fit Forza unless you move it towards Forza after Forza is on centerstand. It would be fine if Forza was on its side stand. You know it moves backwards couple of inches when you put it on centerstand and that is what causes the problem. The parking space is asphalt. There is somewhat of an incline. I think it can be leveled. I just dont know how strong side stand is, else I would be using it. Right now I only use it to mount the bike (I am short), can't reach ground when it's in a center stand.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I've used the side stand exclusively (with the exception of gas fill-ups) for two seasons. I have no concerns, except in really hot weather when I use a bit of 1/8" plywood to keep from putting a hole in the asphalt and thus toppling the scoot.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Thank you. I will be storing bike outside under Bike Shield cover. I will try to manuver the scooter some more to try and keep it on centerstand because I expect wind in the winter will be more intense but if I manage to secure it adequately on side stand- that would be ideal
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

We lack a garage, so the bike gets parked outside all year long. The previous scoot was a Wing (6 cylinder, 1800cc), and for that I bought a large Cycle Shell. This is now where I park the Forza (divide previous specs by 6 each). I always park it on the side stand. The only time I use the center stand is for gas fill-ups. When I run the teenager to/from school, we both mount the bike while it is on its side stand. When the wife & I go out for a night on the town, we both mount the bike while it is on its side stand. Right now, the Forza is underneath the Cycle Shell, on its side stand and protected from the squirrel piss raining down out of the pecan tree that looms over the north side of our house and driveway.

Because I often find myself parking on soft terrain (e.g., on my weekly trips to the in-town farm for eggs, veggies, shrooms, &c.), I did get a larger foot for the side stand. What I bought was one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-CNC-Kicksta ... 2246205365
I added some silicone caulk to the thing when I installed it, so it will never rattle or come loose.

I trust the side stand. And I use it far more often than I use the center stand. It’s sturdy. It can take whatever you give it.

Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

When I moved to Hope I had a few essentials on my new place.

They had to take my inherited poodle, he had all the money for a while.

They had to take me, under 55 is hard to get a place around here. I lied about my age for two years.

And I had to have a place to park a motorcycle or two. My 10 by 12 metal shed only has a 2014 Honda Forza 300 in it right now.

I bought a lottery ticket today. If I win, my next place needs to have room for many motorcycles.