Tyre valve gone!!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

FrankB
Year: 2019
Color: grey

Tyre valve gone!!

Post by FrankB »

Hi
Anyone had this happen to them? See photo. The bike is a 2019 Forza 300.

The valve came out of the rear wheel. Photo shows the valve missing. It had a 90deg bend. There had been a bit of plastic which I think was meant to support the valve when you push a gauge or pump nozzle on to it.  But the plastic bit was loose and/or broken and had disappeared.

I checked the pressure that morning and must have loosened or damaged the valve. Anyway it came out just before a roundabout! Not too dramatic, managed to stay upright.

Now have to remove wheel and take it somewhere.

Later - removing the rear wheel looks easy on the youtubes but in practice my silencer is corroded tight onto the pipe and the manifold bolts will have to be removed. Access is almost impossible and I think I will have to remove some body panels.

Any hints or links to previous posts on removing the wheel/exhaust?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Tyre valve gone!!

Post by mymitzi »

Haven't experienced but, it is possible to replace the valve with out removing wheel. A large c clamp [properly placed] can move the sidewall
enough to replace the valve. Not the easiest job but it can be done. Might google "changing tire valve on M/C without wheel removal".
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

undo the clamp on the muffler, undo the the bolts holding the muffler on. Twist the muffler a few times and it should just pull off. It is heavy.

You will need a new gasket between the muffler and the manifold pipe. I have never in about a dozen times of removing the rear wheel in the last 178,000 km. removed the manifold pipe. You will also need a new clamp probably. Maybe spray some WD40 on the corroded joint. maybes a big screw driver to pry open the joint. If that doesn't work get a big hammer and drive the muffler backwards carefully. after removing the 4 holding bolts. Never had a problem yet. Probably looks worse than it is.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have replaced a valve with the tire still on but it is better to take the tire off. It was on a cheap Chinese scooter with really cheap tires with really thin sidewalls. too much swearing involved.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sorry mine was a Canadian 2014 Forza 300. not sure on the 2019 but probably the same. Where are you?
FrankB

Post by FrankB »

Thanks everyone. Never thought about trying to replace the valve insitu but then I wouldn't be confident about it.
The wheel is off after watching a few youtube clips, a bit of swearing and the lower panel removed.
I was wary of applying a lot of force to the silencer/pipe joint.
Taking the wheel in tomorrow.
Cheers
Frank
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

did you take the exhaust manifold pipe off? My pipe developed a leak and I had to install a new gasket
FrankB

Post by FrankB »

Yes, I took the pipe and silencer off as one unit, before reading about using a G clamp.. I have managed to separate them and will get the gaskets, presumably there is one for the cylinder head/pipe.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

the gasket is a copper ? crushable O ring, you have to get the old one out
FrankB

Post by FrankB »

Got the gaskets and clamp. Does the copper gasket need grease? I've been told to use some red grease but that seems to be for rubber parts. I will probably put it in dry.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

probably no grease for copper gasket, gets very hot, how did you get the old one out?