2017 Forza 300 Brake lever starter bypass

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your Forza. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

GrahamH
Year: 2017
Color: White

2017 Forza 300 Brake lever starter bypass

Post by GrahamH »

It is a subject well debated whether to bypass the brake lever switch to allow the bike to start without pulling hard on the left brake lever. My view is that if the engine were to stall whilst in a moving queue of traffic I would prefer to just hit the button to restart rather than come to a dead stop. Another view is that if the engine were to start with a wide open throttle and no brake the bike would take off, ( I will risk this as not very likely). So I decided to bypass the switch and 5 minutes later it was done!....here's how I did it....

Find the switch connected to the left brake lever, there are 4 wires plugged into it. Pull off the pair which are black and black/yellow. Take a small mini fuse and insert the fuse blades into each of the wire connectors. Wrap neatly with insulation tape and tuck the wires back approximately where they were. There are so many wires and cables there they are easily hidden. And that's all there is to it.

GrahamH
Attachments
ForzaBrakeBypass2.jpg
ForzaBrakeBypass2.jpg (451.92 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
ForzaBrakeBypass1.jpg
ForzaBrakeBypass1.jpg (427.59 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 2017 Forza 300 Brake lever starter bypass

Post by Old Scoot »

That safety precaution isn't there for no reason, I hope for you that this doesn't backfire on you.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When the starter inhibit switch failed on mine, as a stop-gap while I waited delivery of yet another new switch, I cut a paperclip to a suitable length, bent it into a U-shape, inserted each leg of the U into the wire female connectors between the metal and the protective coverings then carefully pushed them both together back onto the switch male connectors.
Think I had three left side brake/starter inhibit switches fail.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

I believe the starter inhibit switch is there only to comply with legislation that states every vehicle with auto transmission must not be able to start unless the brake is applied. That makes a lot of sense for a 4 wheel vehicle but since the scooter can only be started either on it's wheels with side-stand up or on the main stand it isn't at all relevant. In a similar vein the US model Forza has a parking brake to comply with US legislation but in the rest of the world this is not fitted. That's the problem with legislation, it makes rules that seem a good idea at the time but there is almost always the exception where it does not make much sense.

Other opinions are available.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by Austins »

I like to have this safety feature, but get annoyed sometime when you have to pull the lever really hard to get it going, and/or sometimes need to do try it twice or more...

Lately I noticed after filling up an empty gas tank to full, it just refuses to start sometimes and needs waiting like 30 sec to start, but that maybe something different - cold gas, or more pressure of full tank ...! ? They fill gas for us here and get the money, so we need to start and move away quickly because of long queue of bikes behind us - yes, busy Thailand...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

GrahamH wrote:I believe the starter inhibit switch is there only to comply with legislation that states every vehicle with auto transmission must not be able to start unless the brake is applied.
Why do you suppose the legislation was enacted?
On CVT scooters its essentially an anti-idiot device, problem being nothing is idiot proof for long because nature keeps breeding increasingly more stupid idiots. :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

"Why do you suppose the legislation was enacted?"

The legislation was enacted because it is a good idea for a 4 wheel vehicle and it is too complicated to make exceptions so the law is a blanket cover and therefore forces things that are not needed.

The Forza parking brake is a fair example, if Honda thought it was a vital safety feature they would have fitted it to all their scooters not just the ones destined for the USA. I can't imagine the USA folks need the brake and others don't, no, but I guess legislation is so complex to put in place they don't bother with the obvious minor exceptions that could reasonably be made.

To be honest I just can't see the safety aspect of this, in my experience with a Helix with brake cut off bypassed I haven't ever had a problem, nor heard of any from the many Helix owners who have done the same thing.

Whatever our opinions the post only shows how to do it, the choice is up to the individual.
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza
Color: Black

Post by Haarek »

I can think of one specific example: Imagine you are in the yard and your kid/friend/partner/postman is allowed to sit on the bike and play "wroom-wroom" Having played this game on other bikes before, noone of the aforementioned expected their imaginary Tie-fighter to suddenly burst into life, catapulting them into the nearest fence/road/ditch the second they touch the starter.

And with a keyless system it is even more plausible that the (soon to be grounded) boy manages to start the bike while the dad has his back turned with his keys in his pocket.

Maybe you don't allow non-riders to sit on your bikes, but I don't think the example is really that implausible.
And a minor inconvenience of pulling the brake lever for starting is not really worth the potential for kiddo-launch imho.
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

gn2 wrote:........nothing is idiot proof for long because nature keeps breeding increasingly more stupid idiots. :lol:
That isn't funny that is horrible: :o nature keeps breeding increasingly more stupid idiots, :? god forbid that they get even more stupid as time goes by..... o_O