Handa Reflex rear shocks on a Forza?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Handa Reflex rear shocks on a Forza?

Post by SteveP »

I have a 2014 Forza...wonderful scooter! No complaints except for the hard ride at the rear. Has anyone looked into replacing the rear Forza shocks with those from a Reflex? The Reflex is lighter, so am thinking it's shocks (springs) should be softer. A friend has a Reflex and I tried comparing the length of the two shocks but the upper mount of the Reflex is hidden so was not able to get a measurement. Anyone looked into this? Thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Handa Reflex rear shocks on a Forza?

Post by gn2 »

SteveP wrote:The Reflex is lighter, so am thinking it's shocks (springs) should be softer.
You need to look at all-up weight including passengers and luggage for a proper comparison.
The 30lbs difference in the scooters weight is likely to be a very small fraction of total loaded weight.
So any difference in the shocks between the two scooters would be minimal.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

SteveP wrote:I have a 2014 Forza...wonderful scooter! No complaints except for the hard ride at the rear. Has anyone looked into replacing the rear Forza shocks with those from a Reflex? The Reflex is lighter, so am thinking it's shocks (springs) should be softer. A friend has a Reflex and I tried comparing the length of the two shocks but the upper mount of the Reflex is hidden so was not able to get a measurement. Anyone looked into this? Thanks
I realize that, but my 140 lbs and no passenger barely causes the stock rear springs to compress. If I knew they'd fit, used ones off eBay are cheap enough to take a chance and see how they'd work.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Have you adusted the preload to the softest setting?
As I recall standard is 3 of 5 so there may be two softer settings available.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Preload is at the softest setting. Ride is worst at slow speeds over sharp bumps. Highway ride is acceptable. I also have a 1985 Honda Elite250. Surprisingly it has a much more acceptable ride in all conditions. ???
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Your Elite was a made in Japan premium product at the time (and a classic now) the Forza is bargain basement made in Thailand tat and not in the same league.

There are a few threads on here about aftermarket shock options for the Forza.

But I wouldn't bother.
You say "highway ride is acceptable", well the natural environment for the Forza is well made roads, it simply isn't intended for poor surfaces.
Aftermarket shocks likely won't increase the available suspension travel.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Yes....they Fit! Got 2 used ones off eBay. fit like a glove. Same length and and mounting system. The spring on the Reflex shock is shorter and the diameter smaller (2" vs 2 1/8") and wire diameter slightly less. Before actually trying them and made up a test rig so I could measure the any difference in spring load between the shocks, using a bathroom scale to read the load and 1/2" threaded rod to compress the schocke (definitely not Government certified!). At a 1" compression (with both shocks set at their minimum preload setting) the Forza shock showed 62 pound load, the Reflex 66. At 2" compression, the Forza was 118 pounds, the Reflex 106. May try 2.5 and/or 3" later, but may need to stiffen up the test rig first. So...did the ride improve?...yes, a little. I took scoot out over same roads with the standard Forza shocks, then with the Reflex shocks and ride seemed a bit better, but not hugely better, certainly still no "Goldwing". Will be leaving the Reflex shocks on it for now to see how they feel in the long run.