Falling seat-seat damper.... Fixed!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Falling seat-seat damper.... Fixed!

Post by SteveP »

IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG (331.92 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
The seat on my 2014 Forza has never stayed up like it should, and hasn't stayed up at all for a couple years. It's a common lament here on this Forum. A while back a GeorgeSK posted that Honda has a new, stronger damper and that he had one installed and it worked...his seat now was staying open! So I decided to order one and install it. Part # is 83590-k04-932 (old one was 83590-k04-931 I believe) and I paid $45 for it from the dealer. Installing it is a pain-in-the-rear! To get to both ends you need to remove the seat (of course) and the luggage box...but to get the luggae box out you need to remove both side covers and the spoiler (luggage rack) cover, battery cover and tool box. They're held on with a combination of cap screws, screws, clips and hidden tabs....grrrrrr I long for the days when things were held together with obvious srews and bolts! Once all that stuff is off, replacing the damper is easy. You don't need to "unpolt" the damper...the ball joints at the end can be popped out of the damper easily IF you first pry back the spring clip that holds the joint into the damper. I've attached (hopefully!) a photo of what you pry out to get the ball joint out. They snap back into the damper easily. Anyway....after all this work (putting the panels back is as big, or bigger, pain then removing them) I'm excited to say...the seat stays up!!! It even takes a small noticeable effort to bring the seat back down. How long this will continue to work?...we'll see.

This new damper is shown in the parts book for 2016 (and I assume for newer ones) Forzas. The old part number was still shown for the 2014 & 2015 models...altho maybe updated parts books might now have the newer #. The part is labelled "lift-o-matic" on the part. The new one says Made in Germany...the old one doesn't say where it's made.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Falling seat-seat damper.... Fixed!

Post by GeorgeSK »

You won't believe how such a small thing will please you over the next few weeks! Congratulations, and happy if I provided any inspiration.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Here is an easier way to keep the seat up. No removal of parts , risking breakage, and easily replaced if necessary. Video below about one minute and shows the installation..
http://mimed.io/s/5a61tg0jkdo0h6mgoul4saq7j3
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

easyrider wrote:Here is an easier way to keep the seat up. No removal of parts , risking breakage, and easily replaced if necessary. Video below about one minute and shows the installation..
Looks good. I thought about doing something like that but wasn't sure about the selecting the pressure, length and location. Hoe did you determine what to get and where to locate it? Seems if not the correct length and location it might bind up when closing the seat.

I looked at your video...and found I couldn't get out of it using the back-arrow. I had to log-off the internet, then log back on. ??
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You can get these struts from Westmarine or any cabinet supplier. This is the one I used and I just drilled and screwed it into the side of the seat pan and then to the seat. Very easy.. Takes about ten minutes and not taking apart anything.

Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Spring/Springs,Gas Struts,Lift Support,Lid Support
Force:100N/22.5lb (Per Strut);Length ( hole center to hole center) :10 inch
Support opens lids to a maximum angle of 90 degrees
Suitable for Cabinet,Doors,Box ,Trunk ,Container etc.
With 5 screws to fix bracket ; English Manual included
We provide liftime warranty
Size Name: 2pcs This Apexstone lid support can be used for cabinet door , ,trunk ,piano frame ,container etc.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

The simple spring will work fine, and would have been my fix if I hadn't had to opportunity to get it fixed by the man under warranty. Here are three places to get such a thing:

http://www.iboats.com/Stainless-Steel-H ... AlTz8P8HAQ

https://jet.com/product/detail/8540ad68 ... oCVQPw_wcB

http://www.boatingandrv.com.au/deck-har ... rt-spring/

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Simple solution and works perfectly...and easily installed.
Gekomaro
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Seal Silver

Post by Gekomaro »

easyrider wrote:You can get these struts from Westmarine or any cabinet supplier. This is the one I used and I just drilled and screwed it into the side of the seat pan and then to the seat. Very easy.. Takes about ten minutes and not taking apart anything.
I had mine ordered at Aliexpress.com at a price of $ 3.18

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/For ... 64694.html

And it works fine.
Mine is a 2015 Honda SH150i ABS
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by kar120c »

What parts should I must take apart to access the seat damper ?
scvi64
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by scvi64 »

Hi,
I ordered one of these dampers you mentioned on aliexpress, but can't agree with the fact that it works fine!
It is simply not strong enough and 2 would be necessary..one on each side!
But then it gets difficult to put a helmet inside the backtrunck..

The other solution is to replace the original mini sidedamper called 500N with a stronger one : 700N.(Honda original parts or eventually any other damper of that size !)

To change the damper: one only needs to take out the sidepanels around the damper... Nothing more! Then to unclip thé damper.
Some youtube vdos show how to do that!
leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX

Post by jburner »

easyrider wrote:Here is an easier way to keep the seat up. No removal of parts , risking breakage, and easily replaced if necessary. Video below about one minute and shows the installation..
Resurrecting a terribly old post, but this link doesn't work. Is it possible to see somewhere else? Not sure it's worth replacing the entire shock to the tune of $45.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Honda replaced mine with the newer, higher power unit back in 2016. I was still under warranty. It works well, even holding up my much heavier aftermarket seat. To my mind. it would be worth the $45 for the real fix.

I believe that one of those spring things I linked to earlier would also work well, and might bend out of the way if you do use that part of the storage for your helmet. I cannot guarantee this solution, but it is inexpensive.

Barring that, I was reasonably OK with just having a well sized stick on hand to prop the seat up while loading. Not the most convenient, but free. Unfortunately, it also rubs you nose in the fact that you are putting up with some bean counter's lame decision on a part choice.

jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

Ended up ordering the newer part number for the”upgraded” -932 damper/shock from my local dealer and he ended up being less $ than I could get it online. Now to figure out how to install without disassembling the whole bike.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jburner »

Well, that couldn’t have gone any easier... 2 panels off, old damper off, new on and panels back on. Never been so excited for a seat that stays open. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the engineers didn’t just make the seat so that it can go all the way open and they wouldn’t need the damper at all.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

I installed a boat hatch spring and have never looked back. Pix are available on another post in this forum.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
salsa
Color: Forza red

Post by salsa »

jburner wrote:Well, that couldn’t have gone any easier... 2 panels off, old damper off, new on and panels back on. Never been so excited for a seat that stays open. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the engineers didn’t just make the seat so that it can go all the way open and they wouldn’t need the damper at all.
I've had that same question about why they couldn't make it open all the way. It would be SO much easier to load!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Easier to just use the back of my head to hold it open.
MingRidesBikes
Year: 2011
Color: Matte Black

Post by MingRidesBikes »

I’m wanting my seat to stay open and willing to pay to make it work. Thanks for this thread! When I searched for the part number I saw it almost 1/2 the price on Amazon! It’s not an OEM part but an aftermarket replacement. Should get it in a few days and once installed I’ll let you all know how it works!
C88F21F8-E4F4-42D6-AAAF-D891B6630AF1.jpeg
C88F21F8-E4F4-42D6-AAAF-D891B6630AF1.jpeg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
2011 Honda PCX125
Build in progress
MingRidesBikes
Year: 2011
Color: Matte Black

Post by MingRidesBikes »

Issue fixed! Best upgrade/repair to the scoot!
2F381A4B-0F20-480C-AE84-1FA8BD3F6108.jpeg
2F381A4B-0F20-480C-AE84-1FA8BD3F6108.jpeg (555.84 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
3BC17D35-20EC-40CE-8273-48D9DAF84CD1.jpeg
3BC17D35-20EC-40CE-8273-48D9DAF84CD1.jpeg (583.31 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
2011 Honda PCX125
Build in progress