headlight doens't turn off with starter motor

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

frenchkiss109
Year: 2013
Color: black

headlight doens't turn off with starter motor

Post by frenchkiss109 »

The manual says that headlight should turn off when operating the starter motor (page 28) but I noticed that they never turn off (low beam nor high beam) while I start the motor... did somebody verified this ? is it a problem ? any explaination ? (NSS300A)
Forza 300
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Re: headlight doens't turn off with starter motor

Post by aguim »

frenchkiss109 wrote:The manual says that headlight should turn off when operating the starter motor (page 28) but I noticed that they never turn off (low beam nor high beam) while I start the
motor... did somebody verified this ? is it a problem ? any explaination ? (NSS300A)
François,

Here is how the starter button switch is built. The two wires disconnecting the
lights - as the button is pushed- are NOT used in North America. Looks like the Euro model is the same.
(I am very happy about this, since the high amps used to toast the switch on models that had the
lights connected).
Attachments
20170422_182011.jpg
20170422_182011.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
frenchkiss109

Post by frenchkiss109 »

Thank you very much Aguim for that quick reply. So if I understand what you mean it is not a problem and it is better like that (not cutting the light circuit) for the health of the switch ?
These are a few other things I noticed about the strange electrical logics on that bike (please tell me what you think) : The Hazard switch (warnings) works only when ignition (and headlight) is on...
idem for the accessory socket (12V) which needs the ignition ON... so we can't charge a mobile phone for example while doing picnics in nature...
Forza 300
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Everything you mention is normal, according to the factory wiring diagram I have, here.
You could modify that wiring to suit your wishes, but that would be quite a hassle, as I dicovered
when I added an alarm and flasher buzzer on mine (then some witty old crank told me, 'why an
alarm, nobody would think of stealing that pig' ...hahah.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Then yes, the arcing from repeated on/off cycles ends up frying those tiny switch contacts. Same
with the dimmer switch, but it takes longer as that switch is not used as often as the start button
one. Some people install high-amps relays to protect the switches - using oem Honda relays
should be fine.

Come next winter, I think I should clean the dimmer switch contacts and add the 2 needed
relays (another hassle, has to be done perfectly right).
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I put in LED headlight bulbs which I presume draw less current and so the Forza starts better???

I just wanted the white lights. My crashed (by the former owner) Forza has floppy headlights which burned out Halogens quickly. I need to glue them in better some time. But taking it apart will probably break more fragile parts.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

You could also just install a Battery Tender lead directly to the posts on the battery and then plug your phone charger into it while you're on your picnic. You can buy an adapter for this hookup if the phone charger has a cigarette lighter or straight coax plug.

By doing it this way you bypass the ignition switch completely and use the Battery Tender inline fuse in case of overload. Works for me: that's how I run my heated jacket liner in the winter. Just pay attention to how long you leave your electrical accessories switched on so you don't drain your battery since the engine isn't running to keep it charged.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

François, something else (I couldn't resist):

Will there still be 'picnics in Nature' after tomorrow? Last night I listened to a hologrammed
speech from MéchantCon and shit, that made me think of Adolph H.
(they ban politics here...but probly never heard of this antisemite moron, so I'm trying
my luck - if banned, I ban too).
frenchkiss109

Post by frenchkiss109 »

Hope good french will vote for real french supporter (supportress ;-)), as I did, rather than "les mechants cons et leurs amis avec un foulard sur la tete"!!!
Forza 300
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Bien dit ! Qu'ils aillent se faire enc.... au Magreb, si ça leur tente tant ! (okay, let's move back to our horses - not camels s'il-vous-plaît)

Is that cryptic enough hhaha !