Fuel Filler Door Won't Open

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Webini1963
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Fuel Filler Door Won't Open

Post by Webini1963 »

I opened my fuel filler door without an issue this afternoon to put some Stabil in the tank in order to get the scoot ready for storage. Drove up the road to fill the tank and when I went to open the door again nothing happened! The key moves to the right spot and I can press the fuel button and I hear a click, but the stupid door does not budge! I've tried opening it with my fingers but no go.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm glad this happened with 1/2 a tank a mile from my house!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Re: Fuel Filler Door Won't Open

Post by aguim »

Not an easy one, but I'll try. Getting access to that system is a MESS.

The shop manual says : remove the 'inner cover' (a nightmarish proposition, believe me). Me, i'd drill a
1/2" hole in the lid door (a 4$ item) to have access to the lid lock-pin. This lock-pin is located under the
CENTER-FRONT of the fuel door, and should be visible through the drilled hole.

My 2cts : the opening cable has dislodged from one of its 2 mounts.

This would give you access to the the fuel cap at least...After that, well...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mine did this a few times when it was newer.
Try moving the handlebars and turning the key back and forward between off and the box unlock position and pressing the button back and fore between fuel and seat..
Getting the handlebars and key in the right spot is key ;)
Its just a case of fiddling with it till it pops open.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

I have just noticed the guy is from Maine...could be real cold out there in december? I now remember mine's left box rocker switch not working on a rainy, cold Quebec morning, a few weeks ago (had forgotten about it).
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi, why fill it with petrol to store it petrol degrades with time and emulsifys.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Lafree wrote:Hi, why fill it with petrol to store it petrol degrades with time and emulsifys.
Its the air in the tank which allows water to condense and its the water which causes the bulk of the problems.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If you are hearing the click, the latch is letting go. You can very likely get a key or screwdriver blade under the lip and it will pop open. Mine still will occasionally stick. See my post http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... r+door+gas
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Webini1963
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Webini1963 »

aguim, I had just opened the door about 10 minutes before to put Stabil in the tank. It worked fine then. I don't think it was an issue with cold.

Lafree, you fill the tank to keep water out. I put in the appropriate amount of Stabil to keep the gas fresh until April.

GeorgeSK, thanks - that did the trick! I was able to get the door open again and fill the tank. I'll deal with the sticky door in the Spring.

Thanks everyone!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Good news.
Next time I work on mine (now in storage a few miles away), I'll have a closer look at this 'system',
and figure 3 'plan B's' , one for each function. Plan B for the seat latch will be a challenge guess...