Charging Capacity?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Charging Capacity?

Post by Ole »

Can anyone point me to the charging capacity of our Forza's? I would like to know if I could run my GPS and heated vest without any problems.
Thank you
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Charging Capacity?

Post by iceman »

Not got one, but part of the Forza 300 reviews state 'There's a 12V power socket too, for your heated jackets, satnavs and whatnot' - the PCX has a 5A fuse but not sure what the Forza is rated at - power = 12v x fuse rating in amps (max)
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Ole wrote:Can anyone point me to the charging capacity of our Forza's? I would like to know if I could run my GPS and heated vest without any problems.
Thank you
The accessory socket is located in the Left storage compartment, and is fused a meager 5A, that is 60W.
The alternator itself is rated 380W@5000rpm.

I'd put an Amp-meter to that system to see what it gives with what you have in mind as add-ons.
(personally I wouldn't go over 50W -I have seen too many toasted-from-overload stators).

Then 50W taken from the access. socket is its limit, so...
Me, I'd feed from fuse E, fusebox B (under the easily removable right side glovebox cover, then
check what the Amp-meter shows with everything at work.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Oh, that fuse E is rated 15A. It feeds many different 'sporadic-use' different circuits, so make sure to
activate ALL of those (brake lights, horn, flashers) when checking total demand with an A-meter (in-
line with that fuse's ouput wire - Bk/O.

Total current demand then should not exceed 75% of fuse capacity imo.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Good advice.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

Just another thing that might help : an easy way to mesure a given fuse's current draw : remove
that fuse, and fit the A-meter prongs in its place.
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

Good to know the alternator puts out 380 watts. Thank you. My Widder vest draws 45 watts at full heat. I ran a fused SAE plug direct to the battery. I close the seat and just hang it out near my left thigh. Works out great I just didn't want to discharge my battery.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

45W should be ok, after all Honda has designed it with a 60W-capable access. socket.
What would be really interesting is : how is the whole system is behaving @ full load, at different rpm's.
This, only an A-meter can tell. I plan to check that as soon as I can, out of curiosity.

On most of my past (all japanese) bikes, the A-meter would go DOWN to around -10A when first
turning the main switch ON...then to near ZERO amp (no gain,no loss of charge) at idle...then to
about +10A @4-5000rpm. This, with all lights on.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

I've had Symtec hand warmers mounted for a couple of years now (36w) with no trouble at all. I have a voltmeter usb type socket in the accessory plug and do not see any change in voltage turned on or off. On cold days I even warm thee grips for a couple of minutes while gearing up before starting and have no trouble starting with the load on. The minimal extra load from the GPS should be no problem at all.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

[quote="aguim"]45W should be ok, after all Honda has designed it with a 60W-capable access. socket.
What would be really interesting is : how is the whole system is behaving @ full load, at different rpm's.
This, only an A-meter can tell. I plan to check that as soon as I can, out of curiosity.

On most of my past (all japanese) bikes, the A-meter would go DOWN to around -10A when first
turning the main switch ON...then to near ZERO amp (no gain,no loss of charge) at idle...then to
about +3A @ 4000rpm, with all lights on.

THIS IS AN EDIT OF A PREVIOUS POST in which i wrongly assumed a +10Amps charging rate @ 5Krpm.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Cover on 12 volt plug says 24W max. (12V 2A)... See pic
aguim, yours says 5A?
aguim wrote:The accessory socket is located in the Left storage compartment, and is fused a meager 5A,
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
seetharam2492

Post by seetharam2492 »

Fast forwards a few years and for 2013 Honda bumped the engine size up from 125 cc to 150 cc and called it a PCX150. The new engine is based on Honda’s eSP (Enhanced Smart Power) design. Honda does still make the PCX125 but not for our market in the USA, they are exported to select countries that have license requirements that make the 125 engine the best option. Honda then went back to the drawing board. They pumped out enough 2013 PCX150 models to last through 2014 – skipping the 2014 model run all together. Why would Honda do that? Because Honda knew they could improve the model even more and didn’t want to stop with just throwing a larger engine in the PCX.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Cover on 12 volt plug says 24W max. (12V 2A)... See pic
aguim, yours says 5A?
aguim wrote:The accessory socket is located in the Left storage compartment, and is fused a meager 5A,
The accessory socket is wired to fuse "F", fusebox "B", rated 5A. I use it only for phone charging (about
1.5A), had not noticed that Honda recommends a 2.4A max. utilisation. Think of it, all other fuses also
never reach their 'calculated' maximum capacity...for an obvious reason.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The fuse may be a 'T', 'F' or other in that it's slow or fast blow - but the 2A rating may also be wire or contact rating (not all the link to the battery may be able to withstand 4-5A continuous. Just guessing, as it may be Honda being overly caustious again on the label.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

iceman wrote:The fuse may be a 'T', 'F' or other in that it's slow or fast blow - but the 2A rating may also be wire or contact rating (not all the link to the battery may be able to withstand 4-5A continuous. Just guessing, as it may be Honda being overly caustious again on the label.
The NSS300 ABS has 3 different fuseboxes, A,B,C, and a total of 14 different fuses. One
messy diagram. I can remember bikes with much simpler arrangements...

"F" is only an identification letter (they are labeled A to M on the Diagram).
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

aguim wrote:
iceman wrote:The fuse may be a 'T', 'F' or other in that it's slow or fast blow - but the 2A rating may also be wire or contact rating (not all the link to the battery may be able to withstand 4-5A continuous. Just guessing, as it may be Honda being overly caustious again on the label.
The NSS300 ABS has 3 different fuseboxes, A,B,C, and a total of 14 different fuses. One
messy diagram. I can remember bikes with much simpler arrangements...
"F" is only an identification letter (they are labeled A to M on the Diagram).
No, I meant fuse labelling and rating - probably most if not all fuses on bikes or cars are similar to 'T' or slow/timed rather than 'F' which is fast blow i.e current limit reached or exceeded and the 'F' style fuse blows quickly, whereas 'T' does not blow unless stressed for longer periods. Just wondering why there is a 2A label for a 5A fuse supply.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

2A label to try and stop people from plugging all their electric clothing AND a GPS in. But people can't read anyway or are old like me and can't see.