Squeaky rear brakes

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

censuwine
Year: 2012
Color: Grey

Squeaky rear brakes

Post by censuwine »

I have a 2012 125cc PCX and I've had a squeaky rear brake virtually from new. The local Honda guys just can't get to the bottom of it. I'm going to have a tyre change (about time after 21,400 kms!!) and I am taking the opportunity to try out a new mechanic to see if he can find a solution. The brakes do their job to stop the bike but they start squeaking with moderate application. When pressed lightly or hard they do not squeak at all. The squeak is repetitive with every wheel revolution and is really annoying. I can't believe how they can't solve the issue. This was my first experience of a non-European bike and I must say I'm not impressed. :( I'll be posting again once I get this new guy to look at it but in the meantime, I would appreciate anyone chipping in with some advice.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Squeaky rear brakes

Post by gn2 »

Hi and welcome :)

Maybe just needs the brake dust cleaned out, however a squeak-squeak-squeak in time with wheel revolutions could suggest uneven wear on the brake drum or shoes.
Or it could be wheel/transmission bearing related.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Only one other post on the topic dated 2014 weird... I would put better quality pads if front was squeaking. If rear, replace the shoes or check them for glazing. You don't have an E-brake (parking) do you? If so did you ever run off with it engaged and burn up your rear shoes?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... kes#p38021
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I had this same problem on my 2013 PCX 150. The fix was to center the rear wheel before you tighten the nut. The wheel can move slightly on the axle and is not centered. If you put your bike on the center stand and rotate the wheel with slight brake pressure you will feel a tight spot. Try to get this spot centered more as you tighten the axle nut. It may take a few tries to get it the best. That is what fixed may bike.