Making the rear brake pads last???

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Making the rear brake pads last???

Post by davenowherejones »

The last picture of my pads are still wet & muddy from my constant rain riding.

My rear pads are SOK Lih Dan Brake Lining Industrial. They are a cheap kevlar pad off of eBay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FRONT-REAR-BRAKE ... at&vxp=mtr

The expensive sintered pads did not last long because of the caliper sticking.

I intend to ride my Forza till it dies. I am not worried about keeping it forever.

I also don't intend to spend the rest of my life cleaning a motorcycle. I have dumber things to do like 2000 foot descents on gravel roads and walking the dog.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

2000 foot descents are scary but ascents are fun. Why?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

davenowherejones wrote:These are my last set of rear pads. One is practically new and the other is down to the steel.
You definitely have a serious problem with movement of the pads inside the caliper. That being said, I would change the guide pins and make sure everything is super clean and slides perfectly. Be careful of the type and amount of lubricant and grease on the slide pins as this will accumulate road dirt and bind up the sliding action. I don't like using grease on the guide pins for this very reason.Make sure that the caliper is squeezing evenly and smoothly and the piston is seated straight and not binding. My guess is that you have defective, bent ,or very corroded /dirty guide pins that cause a binding on the aft pad. Bleed the fluid of any air and use good DOT 4 brake fluid as your flush. If all that fails replace the caliper and remove it from the equation. Go from there.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I agree with most of what easy rider says but I think the design of the Forza tends to throw a lot of dirt into the pads. The muffler then bakes the dirt on. It rains a lot here. I ride in dirty places. The cow shit does not help things.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I have just replaced the rear brake pads on my Forza 300 at 6650 miles. They were worn down to approx. the wear bars (grooves) on the pads so I still had about 1/3 life left in the old ones. I noticed that the fluid in the rear brake reservoir had dropped to almost bottom of the window so I knew I had to change the pads sooner than later. I give the caliper a good clean and re-grease etc whilst it was off and it feels a lot better now. Don't forget that the prefix letter ( "S" ) on the brake pad part number usually signifies that the brake pad thickness is less than the normal thickness (like front brake pads) - EBC part number is SFA415. This will go partly to explain why the pads seem to wear out quicker than the front pads. A lot of scooters are similar due to the constraints of space etc around the rear wheel. It's frustrating that you have to remove the silencer just to check rear brake pad wear.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I needed a new rear tire so I took my wheel in to my dealer. I inspected the rear pads and they look like they have about 75% on the outer pad and about 90% on the inner pad at 6993 km of use.

I hope they last a lot longer this time. They were completely destroyed at 8326 km the last set of rears.

I don't know if the new caliper pin is helping or the better grease job or whatever is helping them last.

I sure wish they were easier to see.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Try as I might I could never accurately assess the rear pad wear on my Forza just by looking, disassembly was always required.
Someone else's problem as of yesterday... ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2, Your Forza's gone then? Another bike > Suzuki?
Wonder how many bikes you've owned in your lifetime? You probably have lost count. More power to ya. Enjoy Life I say, only get one! :) Dangit!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The Forza was number 14, the new one is a red SV650AL7
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

That's a good number of bikes considering the mileage you put on each of them. Hmm...Could you pick a favorite if pressed to say one?
The newbie is/will be the SV650AL7. I'm a bit surprised that you'll be riding a manual again. Always thought you enjoyed the ease of a scoot...twist n go. Just wondering if shifting would get tiring for you as a business commuter (not being used as a recreational "fun" bike?)

Jibber-Jabber. What the hell! Love it, ride it...anywhere (safely)
Good luck gn2 and please share a pic when you can of "your" SV650AL7 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The Forza was number 14, the new one is a red SV650AL7
Let's have a picture then
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I tried to look at my 2014 Forza 300 rear brake pads today. I still could not see them with a bright flashlight so I pulled the caliper off.

It is a stupid nuisance having to pull the muffler off first, bad design. The outer pad against the piston had less than 1 mm left and the inner pad has about 3 mm left.

This set of cheap pads lasted about 8990 km while the last set of pads were pulled at 12041 km but they were right down to steel (too late). This set was installed last September but I had a 3 month snow break (That hurts). They only lasted less than 5 months of riding (That hurts). The expensive pads did not last any longer. This is getting stupid!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

You're not looking at the right place, Mr. Jones.
I can see mine clearly, using a little Coast G20 cylindrical flashlight. Like, they are jumping in
my face.
Adjust your barnacles, maybe?

Life is so miserable around Spuzzim, isn't it...
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

aguim wrote:You're not looking at the right place, Mr. Jones.
I can see mine clearly, using a little Coast G20 cylindrical flashlight. Like, they are jumping in
my face.
Adjust your barnacles, maybe?

Life is so miserable around Spuzzim, isn't it...
I could not see any pad because there was no pad to see, it was almost all worn away.

That being said I need new glasses.

Which is the best angle to see the rear pads?

Hope, BC had sunshine yesterday.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:The Forza was number 14, the new one is a red SV650AL7
Let's have a picture then

It didn't happen then? Buss pass was it?
Dufus
Color: Red

Post by Dufus »

asolof wrote:I have noticed the parking brake doesn't hold that securely. You could ride away not realizing it was on quickly destroying the pads. I wonder if any of the events reported hear could have been due to that. You would only have to make the mistake once.
I'm surprised. When I set my parking brake and forget it's on, I go nowhere, which reminds me instantly.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

In Canada we do not have a parking brake, we use our intelligence to not park on a steep hill.

The parking brake actually has its very own pad I think.

In Canada we don't need no stinkin' parking brakee!!!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I recently had a new CityGrip put on the rear of my Forza. I asked that the brake pad be inspected while it was off for the tire change. I never heard about it needing replacement so either they did not look or it was good.

I looked at the pads while they were on the scooter. They looked good but I have 12,860 km on the pads. The previous pads were gone at 8990 km and 12,041 km. I was getting a bit nervous so I pulled the muffler and the pads off the scooter. The rear pads were almost new size. This is good.

I replaced a guide pin for this current set and it seems to have improved things a lot. A high temperature grease also seems to be making things good. I suspect Honda Thailand did not assemble the Forza correctly.

The exhaust seems to have gotten louder lately so I looked at the exhaust pipe gasket where it joins the muffler. It was badly worn out. I had asked the dealer to inspect this and I provided a replacement gasket. They did not think a new gasket was needed. I pulled the old one out tonight and it was completely shot. I carefully used a big socket to hammer a new one in to the pipe.

Sounds better. I think I need to go on a long test ride to find out, maybe Sunday.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Buy a new caliper, or rebuild the old one. Change the brake line and flush old fluid .You have to bite the bullet to resolve this. The caliper is evidently sticking on the guide pins and that's probably due to where you go and what muddy roads you are on. Start fresh with new , and go from there. Could be you are getting some material on the guide pins and the heat is baking them solid. The pads are not floating properly(retracting) and you are wearing by constant contact.You could have a defective master cylinder or a brake line that has deteriorated on the inside and checking any retracting flow or reverse flow inside the tube.I don't think this is about some do and some don't.. You have an abnormal situation one way or another.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

easyrider - you don't seem to notice I said the problem was fixed, partially due to your excellent advice.