magnetic dipsticks

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

magnetic dipsticks

Post by homie »

Please assist me finding which one of these could fit PCX, I need more eyes searching the links. Maybe best guess and I will go first :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=magneti ... Co0QsAQITg
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Re: magnetic dipsticks

Post by homie »

Wow! you can get custom magnetic ones :o
Attachments
eagle-dipstick.jpg
eagle-dipstick.jpg (303.98 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Make sure you get one that's long enough to reach the oil.
If the oil level is very low there's no point getting one that's too short.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

What about putting a small but hi-power magnet in the screen of the oil strainer?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Trying to reinvent tyhe wheel? Why not using the well established method of magnetic drain plug?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Please assist me finding which one of these could fit PCX, I need more eyes searching the links. Maybe best guess and I will go first :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=magneti ... Co0QsAQITg

Why?

And

Why?
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Just stick a magnet on the drain bolt.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Boys and girls... I would like to pull metal shavings without a wrench or draining oil if at all possible and do it frequently. The dipstick is the logical answer. If there is one to be had... I'll take it.

Found one for my sport bike, there must be one to fit the little Honda somewhere.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Homie,
Don't want to rain on your parade, but there's a reason why normally a magnet attached to the drain bolt.
First of all in our engines there's not much chance to produce shavings which are attracted by a magnet after the break-in period.
Valve guides and piston are non-ferrous, valve tappets have rollers, bearings are rolling ball bearings or non-ferrous. Most shavings are pruduced by gears turning on each other, but those are separated in the reduction gear casing, and have to be dealt with there. What can produce small ferrous particles under normal operation in the engine are the piston rings against the cylinder wall. If anything major happens there it is a catastropgic failure and cannot be avoided with a magnet.
Metal particles have a lot higher specific weight than engine oil therefore gravitate to the bottom to be catched by the sump - not to the fluid surface. So I suggest to stay on the beaten track and buy a magnetic drain plug.
Otherwise if it gives you a sense of extra safety, and/or consider it as a bling item - go for it. There would be many ways to spend that money in even less useful ways.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Oyabun wrote:Homie,
Don't want to rain on your parade, but there's a reason why normally a magnet attached to the drain bolt.
First of all in our engines there's not much chance to produce shavings which are attracted by a magnet after the break-in period.
Valve guides and piston are non-ferrous, valve tappets have rollers, bearings are rolling ball bearings or non-ferrous. Most shavings are pruduced by gears turning on each other, but those are separated in the reduction gear casing, and have to be dealt with there. What can produce small ferrous particles under normal operation in the engine are the piston rings against the cylinder wall. If anything major happens there it is a catastropgic failure and cannot be avoided with a magnet.
Metal particles have a lot higher specific weight than engine oil therefore gravitate to the bottom to be catched by the sump - not to the fluid surface. So I suggest to stay on the beaten track and buy a magnetic drain plug.
Otherwise if it gives you a sense of extra safety, and/or consider it as a bling item - go for it. There would be many ways to spend that money in even less useful ways.

Exactly.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

You people have spoken, consider it rained on. As you wish, no magnets for PCX, I'll just keep tossing the oil and its about time to do it again :) I have an inspection camera and will go down and see whats at the bottom of the crankcase at 5k.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:You people have spoken, consider it rained on. As you wish, no magnets for PCX, I'll just keep tossing the oil and its about time to do it again :) I have an inspection camera and will go down and see whats at the bottom of the crankcase at 5k.

Do a video?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:I have an inspection camera and will go down and see whats at the bottom of the crankcase at 5k.
Do a video?
that might be tricky, a video of a video ;) let me see if that works

yep that works :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Why worry about it.. Its only a single piston engine..You could probably put a new piston and ring set in an hour or two.. and that's if it ever wears out..not likely it will before you sell it. Its easy to get carried away with something you really love! Go easy grasshopper ..youll be just fine with or without a magnet!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:Its easy to get carried away with something you really love! Go easy grasshopper ..youll be just fine with or without a magnet!
you are right... I'm a monk, that's me in the bad kitty video when the wife finally puts me out :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

bump........
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

easyrider wrote:Why worry about it.. Its only a single piston engine..You could probably put a new piston and ring set in an hour or two.. and that's if it ever wears out..not likely it will before you sell it. Its easy to get carried away with something you really love! Go easy grasshopper ..youll be just fine with or without a magnet!
Well, I don't know how far you've got into the engine of the PCX, but I'd.calculate at least with 7 hours for a simple ring change. Most of the time will be used for disassembly and assembly. To be able to start working on tbe engine, the whole ass3mbly has to be taken off. The bike.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Oyabun wrote:
easyrider wrote:Why worry about it.. Its only a single piston engine..You could probably put a new piston and ring set in an hour or two.. and that's if it ever wears out..not likely it will before you sell it. Its easy to get carried away with something you really love! Go easy grasshopper ..youll be just fine with or without a magnet!
Well, I don't know how far you've got into the engine of the PCX, but I'd.calculate at least with 7 hours for a simple ring change. Most of the time will be used for disassembly and assembly. To be able to start working on tbe engine, the whole ass3mbly has to be taken off. The bike.
Easy's not serious :lol:
Dang the magnetic dipstick would have been fun! Fun suckers you are.. come on you know you want something like this. Some widgets are more fun then practical and we buy them anyway. I want that custom eagle toad stabber just because I WANT IT! Does no one else think it would be satisfying to wipe the crud off that blade once in a while?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Oyabun wrote:
Easy's not serious :lol:
Dang the magnetic dipstick would have been fun! Fun suckers you are.. come on you know you want something like this. Some widgets are more fun then practical and we buy them anyway. I want that custom eagle toad stabber just because I WANT IT! Does no one else think it would be satisfying to wipe the crud off that blade once in a while?
Go for it, live a little.