Tapping the battery terminals for accessory access

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: Red

Tapping the battery terminals for accessory access

Post by asolof »

I removed the battery cover and examined the battery and its location.

I want to connect a Gerbing 15 amp fused line with its connecter to it. This is for Gerbing heated gloves/vest and a Battery Tender. The connection to the battery terminals is straightforward. However, the cable needs to be run somewhere. The under seat storage area seems like the most logical place, but I am concerned about leaving a live coiled cable in that space as it might get damaged by cargo or get short circuited.

I'd like to hear from others about how they did it.
Attachments
IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2310.jpg (156.96 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Tapping the battery terminals for accessory access

Post by davenowherejones »

I am careful what I put in that area. I guess I should look to see where my cable is because I have not used it since last winter. I wonder if I have blown the fuse. Gotta look tomorrow now.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If it were mine I would buy a Battery Tender and attach those leads permanently to the battery. Then I would buy one of those leads that you can buy on Amazon or elsewhere that connects to the leads, cut the wire in half (since those spare leads come in a loop affair with a connector on both ends) and attach one of those lead ends to the Gerbing, replacing its ends with that type of end. That way you could disconnect it any time you wanted to, and connect something else, such as connecting a USB adapter, or you can cap the leads with the protective cap that comes with them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
asolof

Post by asolof »

Mel46 wrote:If it were mine I would buy a Battery Tender and attach those leads permanently to the battery. Then I would buy one of those leads that you can buy on Amazon or elsewhere that connects to the leads, cut the wire in half (since those spare leads come in a loop affair with a connector on both ends) and attach one of those lead ends to the Gerbing, replacing its ends with that type of end. That way you could disconnect it any time you wanted to, and connect something else, such as connecting a USB adapter, or you can cap the leads with the protective cap that comes with them.
There is already a cap on the gerbing connector end of the cable. You can see the strap to the cap in the photo. I already have the Gerbing to Battery Tender adapter, so I can already use it for both without modification. My question focuses on the placement and protection of the wire and its connector and its non-interference with the use of the that compartment for luggage/storage. Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but once things are setup, one tends to become less aware of them. The 15 amp fuse would at least prevent the bike from going up in flames should a short occur, but I'd like to locate things in such a way to minimize to possibility of a short (blown fuse). Sometimes the protective connector cap slips off. Also, if the short occurred (due to wire damage) proximal to the fuse there would be no fuse protection.
2016 Forza 300
asolof

Post by asolof »

So after thinking about this some more I think I'll drill a hole on the left side of the battery cover and place a grommet around the hole. Then I'll run the connector/wire up through the hole and through a section of wire conduit to a little bag end to hold/store the coiled wire with capped connector. I will then velcrow the bag in an out of the way position. I'll use a bag thick enough to provide protection.

This arrangement should protect it, not interfere with the storage area, and be convenient to access.
2016 Forza 300
asolof

Post by asolof »

Update:

I connected the Gerbing harness to the battery and ran the harness wire out through a notch in the battery cover.

I taped the harness fuse box onto the battery to position it under the raised portion in the back center of the battery cover. (strip of 3M clear duct tape).

I plan to get some latchable box to put the wire & connector in to protect it within the forward compartment of the under seat storage. The wire can run out of the seat (front left) and still allow the seat to close. From there I can connect it to my Gerbing heated gear, or via an adapter, a battery tender.
2016 Forza 300
asolof

Post by asolof »

Photos of the above.
Attachments
battery4.jpg
battery4.jpg (113.26 KiB) Viewed 1415 times