Running wire from accessory outlet to outside for GPS

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: Red

Running wire from accessory outlet to outside for GPS

Post by asolof »

For those who have done this, how did you do it?

On my Burgman 400 & 650 bikes I ground a groove to allow the wire to pass without pinching when the glovebox door is shut. I could do the same on the Forza 300, but before I do it I'd like to hear the experience of others and how they did it.
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Re: Running wire from accessory outlet to outside for GPS

Post by dergav »

drilled a hole at bottom of the glovebox and an extra long accessory connection down through the hole and back up through the space at centre of handlebars...fairly easy to do...needs a long drill bit ( I used a long masonry drill bit) ...and need to drill a hole large enough to allow the end of the accessory connection to feed through....and a straightened wire coat hanger to feed the wire through.worked for me.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

One possible idea is to get a slim USB charger to plug in, and then one of these ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Samsun ... B00GC7FF8W

Which can bend around the closing seal of the door, least that's my idea :)
aka DrewJW
asolof

Post by asolof »

dergav wrote:drilled a hole at bottom of the glovebox and an extra long accessory connection down through the hole and back up through the space at centre of handlebars...fairly easy to do...needs a long drill bit ( I used a long masonry drill bit) ...and need to drill a hole large enough to allow the end of the accessory connection to feed through....and a straightened wire coat hanger to feed the wire through.worked for me.
Dergav,

Doesn't the glove box sit inside another layer/shell or is it just one layer? In other words, did you need to drill through 2 layers? Is it water tight? Did you place a grommet or anything to provide a seal around the hole? Is your accessory connection outside the glovebox another standard round 12V outlet?
2016 Forza 300
asolof

Post by asolof »

DrewJW wrote:One possible idea is to get a slim USB charger to plug in, and then one of these ;

I might be wrong but even though those cables are flat, the tongue & groove design of the door seal would still create a pinching problem. I have some flat CAT6 cable I could use to test the pinching effect on a flat cable.
2016 Forza 300
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

asolof wrote:
DrewJW wrote:One possible idea is to get a slim USB charger to plug in, and then one of these ;

I might be wrong but even though those cables are flat, the tongue & groove design of the door seal would still create a pinching problem. I have some flat CAT6 cable I could use to test the pinching effect on a flat cable.
It is possible, but given the price I'm tempted to try.
aka DrewJW
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't have a Forza. Nor do I have one of the new PCXs that have the accessory outlet in the glove box. However, I do have one PCX (my wife's bike) that has no accessory outlet, but a need to have some way for her to charge her phone. She has the Battery Tender leads attached to her battery, so I purchased a USB adapter that plugs into it, and I ran a USB cable through the seat hinge and up to where I had the phone in a RAM mount. I kept the cable out of the way by putting a piece of tape on it to use as a tab, and closed the tab in the glove box, after running the cable through the handle bar to allow it to move around when the handle bar moved.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
asolof

Post by asolof »

Mel46 wrote:I don't have a Forza. Nor do I have one of the new PCXs that have the accessory outlet in the glove box. However, I do have one PCX (my wife's bike) that has no accessory outlet, but a need to have some way for her to charge her phone. She has the Battery Tender leads attached to her battery, so I purchased a USB adapter that plugs into it, and I ran a USB cable through the seat hinge and up to where I had the phone in a RAM mount. I kept the cable out of the way by putting a piece of tape on it to use as a tab, and closed the tab in the glove box, after running the cable through the handle bar to allow it to move around when the handle bar moved.
Mel46,

I also plan on running a cable from the battery for access to a Battery Tender & Gerbing heated gloves & vest. I suppose that connection could be tapped, but the existing socket in the glovebox is already in the general location of where the GPS will be mounted.
2016 Forza 300
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

IMGP0563.jpg
IMGP0563.jpg (463.02 KiB) Viewed 5008 times
Install socket ?
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

"Doesn't the glove box sit inside another layer/shell or is it just one layer? In other words, did you need to drill through 2 layers? Is it water tight? Did you place a grommet or anything to provide a seal around the hole? Is your accessory connection outside the glovebox another standard round 12V outlet?"
Asolof...there are two layers but the outer one is not closed completely so after going through the glovebox layer you can feed the cable down and round and up without any further drilling...bit fiddly but the straightened wire coathanger helped...and that non closed layer acts as a rain/weather barrier.
I intended to grommet seal the hole but have found I didnt need to do that as no rain or weather has got in. Probably better to seal the hole however.
My cable is just a normal but longer satnav connection cable bought on ebay with the normal cigarette lighter plug at one end into the fitting in glovebox and the satnav connection plug at other end directly into the motorbike satnav mounted centrally on handlebar.
asolof

Post by asolof »

dergav,

Which pieces of faring (if any) did you have to remove to do this?

Where in the bottom of the glove box did you drill the hole?

Any chance you could post pictures of the hole in the box & the wire coming up in the space between the handlebars?
2016 Forza 300
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

pictures!?... me...no chance! :lol:
not sure how I would get a picture inside the glove box.... and below the scooter the hole cannot be seen due to the non closed cover plastic..
didnt remove any faring...just opened the glovebox and with a "long" drill bit ( used my long masonry bit...at long last found a second use for that!!)... punched the hole through the bottom of the glove box...bit rough I know but never seen...then fed the straightened wire coathanger through the glovebox and hole and fiddled about under the scooter to find it behind the plastic layer not closed and pulled it through...attached the satnav connection end to the wire and carefully pushed/ pulled that through...hole needs to be large enough to allow that end bit and the attached wire to pass through...then did the same thing with the wire to feed up through the centre area of the handlebar...again a bit fiddly...lots of trial and error and torch light at the top end of handlebar to let me see where I was aiming when lying on the garage floor!!.......then clipped the satnav wire to various points below the faring just to secure...the satnav wire I bought was fairly long so I had loose wiring to secure....
not exactly professional ...but effective and the non professional bits are hidden....and it works perfectly....since then bought a garmin motorbike satnav and that has a wired in connection to the mount piece.
asolof

Post by asolof »

The picture is of the underside of glove box.

So dergav, I assume you drilled your hole on the left (outer) side of the bottom of the glove box. In that case, the hole would be above the underlying faring/fender. You then ran the wire between the glove box & the fender around & up to the opening at the center of the handlebar. The fender provides splash protection for the hole opening. Optionally the hole could be drilled into the "single layer" box from under the bike on the right side of the box bottom, but there is no fender there to provide splash protection.

I want to contemplate this some more. I'm not sure I want to leave the wire in place because I only use the GPS occasionally. I wasn't aware that the Garmin unit (I assume a Zumo), provided power at its mount connection. I might want to explore that option too.
Attachments
IMG_2309-25pc.jpg
IMG_2309-25pc.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
2016 Forza 300
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Correct...Google the garmin zumo 340LM and you will see the style of fitment...I only use the satnav occasionally but leave all the wiring and fitment in place...would be a bit of a faff to remove the wiring all the time..the ”weakness“ is that the fitment could be easily cut and nicked..unless you adapted with a joining piece at the handlebar. I had intended doing that but have not to date.
pullin_gs
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pullin_gs »

I drilled hole in top of plastic under the wind screen. I use this USB connection for dashcam and GPS.
Attachments
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG (35.74 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG (35.96 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

pullin...thats tidy,..didnt think of that option...does the lead come from the glovebox
asolof

Post by asolof »

I finally did this. (I was away on vacation for a couple of weeks).

I did it similarly to dergav except:

- instead of running an accessory outlet, I ran the Garmin 2597LMT OEM charger/cable from the glove box up through the hole in the center area of the handlebars.

- The hole location is more toward the center/rear/bottom of the box. That is because I couldn't angle my drill bit at the location specified by dergav and I wanted to keep the running of the wire away from the more forward moving parts.

- To weather protect the 1/2 inch hole I ran strips of duct tape across the hole, both inside and outside the glove box.

- I need to weather protect the usb connector which is exposed on the handlebar area. I'll use a small plastic bag until I can find something better.
Attachments
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG (59.17 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
IMG_2323.JPG
IMG_2323.JPG (59.59 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
IMG_2322.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG (61.43 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG (59.55 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG (62.79 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
IMG_2319.JPG