Headlight aim

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Headlight aim

Post by davenowherejones »

I bought some LED's for the headlights. BrightSourceLED.com H4 They look like these but are not https://www.amazon.ca/Headlight-Convers ... +headlight

I need to know how to aim them on a 2014 Honda Forza. I know where the adjuster is I think but need a way determine how high or low to point them. The Service manual says adjust them to local laws which tells me nothing.

I think they are too high but it is hard to tell with these LED's They are supposed to have the LED's in the same position as the halogens but I have my doubts.

They were relatively easy to install once I figured it out. Well the second one went in a lot faster, the first one was a bitch.

I don't ride at night very often. I was running 60/55w halogens but they do not last long but are only $5. I have no idea if these are any better. The colour is white rather than yellow of the originals.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Headlight aim

Post by gn2 »

Chances are the up/down adjuster may not work because the reflector is designed to work with the original halogen bulb.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It physically fits in exactly the same place.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

But the bit which produces the light is not the same so the focus is different.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So how do you aim a halogen Forza?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There is a vertical adjuster behind the headlamp unit.
There is no left/right adjuster.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

davenowherejones wrote:I need to know how to aim them on a 2014 Honda Forza. I know where the adjuster is I think but need a way determine how high or low to point them.
My normal seat-of-the-pants procedure is to find a nice, flat piece of ground that has a wall at the end of it. I pull the bike right up to the wall with the low beams on and mark the top cut-off with a strip of masking tape. I then back the bike up by 12 ft. At that distance, I'm looking for the top cut-off to be about 1-2" lower than it was when I was right up at the wall. This way, I know than my beams are pointed slightly down toward the road rather than up in other people's eyes.

There's probably a better procedure out there somewhere, and I'd love to hear about it from someone who knows.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I tried turning the adjusters late the other night with a 8mm? socket. They did not do anything. I might have another look tomorrow. Gotta work.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think my LED headlight bulbs might be in upside down. There is an adapter so that they fit the Forza style bulb. I am dyslexic so I do everything at least twice before I get it right. Sometimes I do things wrong 3 times in a row and wonder why its still wrong. I have to take the dog for a walk and then I will tear it apart once again.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The adjusters turn with a screwdriver.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The adjusters turn with a screwdriver.

Left or right handed screwdriver?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

You need both, one for each headlight.

I flipped the LED's over. I will try it later when it gets dark. The adjuster looks like a gear and you use the screwdriver to mesh with the teeth to turn it???

Someone should teach the Chinese how to write an install manual, you could make a fortune. I had a Chinese Geely scooter for a while. The manual was hilarious. To do an oil change you spill the oil.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK, I turned the LED adapter around or turned the LED 180 degrees. It seems to be a better light pattern. It is a very blue/white light rather than the yellow of the original halogens. The reflective traffic signs really pop out with the LED's. I think it might be a little improvement over the originals. I have virtually no milage at night to give it a good comparison. I don't intend to do much night milage if I can help it.

I tried going through pot holes to see the difference adjusting the height would make. It seemed to make very little difference so I will just leave things as they are.

I tried driving around with the hi-beams on. No one flashed their lights at me at all. The low beams give a nice view of the ditches.

I went for the LED's because I had burnt out a few halogens. Hopefully the LED's last longer. I like the blue/white colour. It might make me slightly more visible in the daytime. If nothing else I get to catch up in technology a little to the Harleys. Honda is getting left in the dust.