Michelin CityGrip wear bars

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Michelin CityGrip wear bars

Post by davenowherejones »

Has anyone noticed any wear bars on the Michelin CityGrip tires for the Forza rear?

It has a solid strip around the centre. I have 14,000 km (8700 miles) on my current tire.

I am not sure how much more I should run this tire. I run the risk of a puncture or the cords showing.

I think it could last several thousand kilometres more but at what risk?

With the distances I travel in Western Canada I could be a hundred kilometres from anywhere and a new tire would take over a week to get. But hey, Spuzzum is a nice place to spend a week.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Michelin CityGrip wear bars

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:Has anyone noticed any wear bars on the Michelin CityGrip tires for the Forza rear?

It has a solid strip around the centre. I have 14,000 km (8700 miles) on my current tire.

I am not sure how much more I should run this tire. I run the risk of a puncture or the cords showing.

I think it could last several thousand kilometres more but at what risk?

With the distances I travel in Western Canada I could be a hundred kilometres from anywhere and a new tire would take over a week to get. But hey, Spuzzum is a nice place to spend a week.

Measure the min tread depth. 2mm is the safe limit.

Or a picture?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I think there is an arrow on the sidewall of the Michies that indicates wear but hasn't been properly explained to me.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

An arrow on the sidewall normally describes direction of rotation.
Wear bars in bike tyres are not usually in the centre groove.
The UK legal minimum tread depth is 1mm.
If the centre groove has completely disappeared, I reckon a new tyre is overdue.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yes, I'm familiar with the rotation arrow but I have seen tiny outward pointing arrows somewhere on the tires (might be dunflops) that indicate a location on the tires street contact that one must watch for wear (color) indication. Might not always be a obvious continuous white stripe that appears in the center of the tire.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think I am due but my Scottish ancestry says, "Hey they still hold air, lets go some more"

Here is before and after pictures.
Attachments
IMG_6129.jpg
IMG_6129.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
IMG_8487.jpg
IMG_8487.jpg (214.26 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If it wuz me, I probably wouldn't change that rear just yet, but I would order up a replacement.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The grandson of Isabelle Mackay agrees with GN2, one will be on order as soon as I sell my Suzuki DR650.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK sold the DR650 for next to nothing. I went to Chilliwack to put the cash into my Visa account. I got there too early so I bought a Starbucks and sat on the ground to have a good look at my tires. I found the wear bars. They are very small. There is a Michelin Man and directional arrow on the side of the tread (Not the sidewall). There are two very small wear bars in the groves near the centre line.

I am now due for a rear tire. I am going on a 600 km ride on Sunday to Lac La Hache. If I return alive I will get a new tire.
Attachments
IMG_8507.jpg
IMG_8507.jpg (70.07 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
IMG_8506.JPG
IMG_8506.JPG (134.92 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Thank You davenowherejones that's how we do it in PCX-4Z forum

Now we know where those wear bars are on Michelin and exactly what they look like... before they are gone.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK so now my wear bars are gone at 16248 km and the Forza is parked until I can get a CityGrip to the hinterland of Hope, BC.

I went on a short trip yesterday to Hell's Gate in the Fraser Canyon. I rode the tram down and noticed new rocks fallen from the cliff onto the fish ways. I could see where they came from on the cliff and it looked like a lot of rock had fallen down. When I rode the tram up I saw the cliff had actually been parallel drilled to remove the rock before it potentially fell down and taking a lot more rock with it including the upper tram station.

I went back to Hope and had a coffee at McDonalds (any size for $1.25 special). I sat on the pavement and spun the tire to look at the wear bars. They were almost all gone. There was a 3 mm stripe diagonally across the tread where I presume the two ends of the tread meet.

I rode home and here I sit on a rainy Sunday wondering where the hell my tire is.

ps It was windy riding up the Canyon and when I re-fuelled back in Hope I calculated my MPG at 96.4 Miles per bigger Canadian Gallon. I went slowly on purpose to bump up the MPG. I think the Forza fuel economy is limited by its true airspeed. A full racing tuck could save me a lot of money.