Honda Forza Slightly Bent Rim (outer lip)

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

cerbres_child
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Honda Forza Slightly Bent Rim (outer lip)

Post by cerbres_child »

I drove over a pot hole the other day and apparently it Bent my rim a bit. Just wanted to ask you guys if its going to affect my driving or make the bike dangerous to drive. Then the other day I replaced a tire and got a hole in it. I patched up the tire which apparently you're not supposed to do that, anyways I drove about 22 miles and the tire burst. I don't think that it was the dents in in the rim that caused the tire to give, I talked to the people at Honda and they didn't think so either. Honda says that the slight dents dont affect anything but I'd appreciate if someone can give me their thoughts on this. Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/ETyREsn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fZWvdHP.jpg
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Re: Honda Forza Slightly Bent Rim (outer lip)

Post by dergav »

I am no expert or mechanic but I would just not take any risk with that. Tyres/wheels and brakes?..the most important things to keep you safe riding so no risks with them for me.If in any doubt with those parts then just renew. IMO.
Must have been some "pot hole"...but as I say I am no expert.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I have done the same thing with my Forza front wheel. It has poor suspension in my opinion. I agree with replacing the wheel although I have not done so yet. I took some fine sandpaper and removed any knicks in the aluminum. That helps cracks from forming. It is really dangerous to use a bent wheel. I am a bit suicidal so I don't care.

I had a plug for a few thousand kilometres until my local guy could get a replacement rear tire. I had a rear Scootsmart and replaced it with a Michelin CityGrip. I ran over a large staple and rode down from the 4000 foot summit of the Coquihalla Highway with a deflating tire. It was a bit squirrelly at 100 kmph. I did not discover the flat rear tire until the next day. The first plug did not work but the second plug held the air until I could get the new rear tire.

My factory original ScootSmart on the front has developed a bad wear pattern after 18,000 kilometres of use. I haven't decide if I am going to put a new CityGrip on the bent rim or to try and buy a new wheel. I don't know how long it would take to get a new wheel or where I would get it from.

I am waiting for Honda to have a recall on the front forks or wheel. In my opinion the front forks are inadequately attached to the rest of the scooter. Most motorcycles have two attachment points per fork. The Forza only has one. One would be enough for a low speed 49cc scooter but the Forza is advertised as fast enough for the highway. One good pothole with a big accident and an ambitious lawyer will give Honda a major problem. The whole front of the scooter would have to be redesigned. It would probably be cheaper for them to buy back all of the Forza's. We could take the settlement money and buy Suzuki Burgman 400's.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

Most fully comp insurance will cover that.

Not worth messing about.

Get a new wheel on it, insurance might pay out for the burst tyre too.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:IMost motorcycles have two attachment points per fork.
Most scooters don't..
Nothing wrong with the Forza front end, its perfectly ok.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:IMost motorcycles have two attachment points per fork.
Most scooters don't..
Nothing wrong with the Forza front end, its perfectly ok.
At 30 kmph two attachment points is probably OK but at 130 kmph four would be better. And so would bigger wheels also handle imperfect roads. And the next thing you know we are riding a Gold Wing.

If a Forza was safe I would not ride one.

I find it thrilling when my ass leaves the seat and only my orange gloves are touching the rubber hand grips.

Crazy Dave
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I say we get a class action suit going and get Honda to buy all of our scooters back at full retail.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:I say we get a class action suit going and get Honda to buy all of our scooters back at full retail.
I say you need to go back to your doctor and get your meds reviewed, they ain't working. :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Aw remember all the bs Toyota went thru a while back. It is a crazy world.

I actually had Canadian Tire buy back my battery powered reel lawnmower after a year of use. The mowers had so many problems that it was cheaper to refund the money than to fix the mowers. That surprised me.

I had an awesome ride on the Forza today. I went to the dealer to show them where all the missing screws were supposed to be. I then had chinese food at the mall. Cheap but good!!! I bought oranges and Dr Pepper. I rode up to the 4000 ft level of the Coquihalla Highway. Oranges & Dr Pepper taste better at altitude. I hit a nasty sinkhole at 120 kmph again. I haven't looked to see if I bent the rim some more. A fun day.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Now on a serious note. I would like everyone to take a good look at your wheels. Run your fingers around the rims on both sides front and back.

Are the wheels ok? Or is there a bigger problem than we individually realize.