seat damper/lift...or lack thereof

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

seat damper/lift...or lack thereof

Post by SteveP »

There's been previous discussions here about the Forza seat, that it won't stay up, which is irritating when try to load something. My seat will stay up IF it's warm outside (60f+), the scoots on the center stand and there's no wind trying to blow it closed. otherwise, it falls closed. Under warrantee Honda is apparently willing to replace the damper. Has anyone out there had the damper replaced and had the problem solved?

I disconnected the damper from the seat and removed the seat, in hopes of finding I could install a compression spring around the damper and give it more "umoof" to hold the seat up. Unfortunately it doesn't appear doable due to lack of room....the damper contacts the luggage box when seat is up and the frame when seat is down. And no place to add a spring somewhere else. Looks like a stick might be the best solution :-( . For what it's worth, my damper has a lot of strength...I can't depress it by hand...have to use a long screwdriver as a lever. Is this a gas cylinder/damper or is there a spring inside? It doesn't compress much when going from seat open to closed.
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Re: seat damper/lift...or lack thereof

Post by Richard »

Mine is rubbish to...so far only real fault with bike.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Mine is also useless. The seat hinge needs a spring? I keep stuff I hope I don't need in the very front of the seat. I have almost crushed my phone a few times putting it under the middle of the seat. Very poor design. Honda Thailand is crap. Poor quality control also it seems.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I've found that the damper is OK when the weather is warm but useless when it is cold.
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

Mine's like that as well... I'm about to just find an appropriately sized stick.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you put your head in the luggage box the seat will not close. :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

gn2 wrote:If you put your head in the luggage box the seat will not close. :D
That's good you'll still be able to breathe :D :D
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

It's a design fault.

replacing the damper doesn't fix it.

Honda should do a recall with an up-rated damper/spring but It's not something anyone will return the bike for and it's not safety critical, so they won't.
Road-Dog
Year: 2015

Post by Road-Dog »

SteveP wrote:There's been previous discussions here about the Forza seat, that it won't stay up, which is irritating when try to load something. My seat will stay up IF it's warm outside (60f+), the scoots on the center stand and there's no wind trying to blow it closed. otherwise, it falls closed. Under warrantee Honda is apparently willing to replace the damper. Has anyone out there had the damper replaced and had the problem solved?

I disconnected the damper from the seat and removed the seat, in hopes of finding I could install a compression spring around the damper and give it more "umoof" to hold the seat up. Unfortunately it doesn't appear doable due to lack of room....the damper contacts the luggage box when seat is up and the frame when seat is down. And no place to add a spring somewhere else. Looks like a stick might be the best solution :-( . For what it's worth, my damper has a lot of strength...I can't depress it by hand...have to use a long screwdriver as a lever. Is this a gas cylinder/damper or is there a spring inside? It doesn't compress much when going from seat open to closed.
When I installed my drivers backrest (see pictures) the damper became totally useless so I fabricated an aluminum rod that now holds it open and is 100% reliable. Why bother Honda for a remedy that is easily fixed. My thoughts.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The seat smacked me on the head. I should sue Honda for pain and suffering. Also for lost wages. I have to find a good but short stick.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I was thinking about adding something like this:

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Hatch-Li ... _id.485102

They are used to hold up desk lids at nav stations. You lift the lid and the spring snaps rigid. You push the middle of the spring sideways and it allows the lid to come down, collapsing out of the way.

OTOH, the stick approach is very cost effective, and is currently what I am using. Although now that the weather is warming up, the seat does occasionally stay open.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

Mine used to work until I added the airhawk seat pad last year, damper is worthless now.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

The local shop agreed that my 2014 Forza's seat shock / seat damper needed to be replaced under warranty several months ago, but the part was OOS all over the country. This, to me, was clear sign that Honda was at least changing the manufacture if not the design of the doohickee. Mine was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago. It works as expected now. I keep finding myself repeating old muscle-memory moves to keep the seat from dropping, then remind myself I don't have to, then am pleasantly surprised to find that I actually *don't* have to prop the seat up now.

We will see what time tells.

BTW, the Shop Manual calls it a "seat damper," but the warranty ticket from the OEM shop calls it a "seat shock." I don't know what to make of this, but the info may prove useful to other Forza riders in the US.

SteveP wrote:There's been previous discussions here about the Forza seat, that it won't stay up, which is irritating when try to load something. My seat will stay up IF it's warm outside (60f+), the scoots on the center stand and there's no wind trying to blow it closed. otherwise, it falls closed. Under warrantee Honda is apparently willing to replace the damper. Has anyone out there had the damper replaced and had the problem solved?

Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
mjoa68
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: Grey/Silver

Post by mjoa68 »

I was at my dealer yesterday and the service manager told me Honda does have an updated piston available now which apparently solves this problem for good. Only issue is that this also requires new mounts (his guess was they are probably bigger/beefier in order to hold what he assumes is a bigger/beefier piston) in order to install, and the mounts themselves are not not available yet (at least in Canada).

Once the new mounts are available he's promised to let me know so we can place the order. All will be covered under warranty he says. Now it's just a matter of waiting to see if they actually become available before the warranty runs out... Maybe they'll issue a rain cheque (yes, that's how we spell it heah).

Any who, I'll follow up once this all comes to fruition, in case anyone is interested.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thailand is warm so it stays up there. Here in Canada I risk my life every time I stick my head under the seat to get something.