Variator Milling

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Cosmic_Jumper

Variator Milling

Post by Cosmic_Jumper »

Hello, Noob here, so sorry if this question has been addressed before.

I've seen several threads on this PCX/Forza forum regarding Variator mods. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with the working of this forum to locate those particular variator mods threads again once I've passed them.

One of the threads (a BRed thread?) goes on about milling (filing) the movable variator face by .5mm so that the pulley sheaves mate closer together at high rpms allowing the drive belt to ride higher on the Drive Pulley. That thread gave a couple of examples & photos showing "galling" marks (my term) on the milled face of the variator sheave (where the two pulley faces had been kind of chattering against each other) indicating that the pulley sheaves were not fully closing and that there was potentially more room for milling. I have noticed similar galling marks on the variator faces on my Honda FSC600 Silverwing variator (using stock weight Dr Pulley sliders).

So my question is this; If the variator faces have gall marks present does that indicate that the movable face is a candidate for milling?

Can anyone point me to a source where I can find "a history" of variator mods and milling? I have been searching for years for information regarding variator milling (filing, shaving, etc) but those tricks only appear briefly, sporadically and never in one place.

Thanks so much for such a great and informative forum

Tim