Clutch Pulley disassembly...?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Clutch Pulley disassembly...?

Post by gn2 »

Anyone got any tips on how to separate the two halves of the clutch pulley?
Mine has remnants of shredded drive belt cords trapped inside and I need to get them out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Clutch Pulley disassembly...?

Post by Alibally »

If it's anything like the pcx it's got a big nut on it once the clutch bell comes off. Then it's spring loaded when the big nut comes off. There's a collar that's then removed then pull out the pins that slide into the slots so the 2 parts of the pulley can be separated.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Taken from pcx manual
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1456674252.599835.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1456674252.599835.jpg (196.12 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1456674243.723749.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1456674243.723749.jpg (298.88 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cheers Alibally, those illustrations of the proper clutch holder are very useful.
I've managed to get the cords out by tying them onto a handle and pulling, but if I hold it up to the light I can see there's still a very tiny piece trapped deep between the halves.
Hopefully once the belt is in place and the pulleys open up the small piece of debris will fall out and be blown away.
Not sure whether to just risk it or go to the bother of disassembly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Can you not just pull the pulley open on the bike? It's possible on the pcx, but I don't know how strong the spring is on the forza.

I replaced the pulley on mine last year due to a noisy bearing and didn't need the holding tool. I just kept pressure on it when the big nut was being removed.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

not sure what clutch this fellow is showing us but separating the halves can be tricky without proper tools... be careful

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Alibally wrote:Can you not just pull the pulley open on the bike? It's possible on the pcx, but I don't know how strong the spring is on the forza.
The spring on the Forza is much stronger, there's no way I could open it up like a PCX one.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

There is an alternative disassembly method that doesn't require a compressor but it requires TWO sets of hands (actually, only 3 hands, now that I think of it!)

Once you've removed the bell and clutch assembly from the bike, mark the position of the large nut (23mm?) relative to the face.

Invert the clutch assembly and clamp the large nut in the jaws of a vice (not too tight, just enough to hold it loosely, like a wrench.) Now use a towel wrapped around it for good grip and turn the pulleys like you're opening a large water valve. (Use all 4 hands if needed!) :)

Once it breaks free turn it one or two turns...NO more.
Remove it and invert it so the nut is UP. Now lean on it with both hands (you're on your knees on the floor now!) and compress the contra spring.

NOW, use your 3rd hand to finish removing the large nut, then ....relax!

Assemble in reverse order.

This method works on the Forza.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

BRed wrote:There is an alternative disassembly method that doesn't require a compressor but it requires TWO sets of hands (actually, only 3 hands, now that I think of it!)

Once you've removed the bell and clutch assembly from the bike, mark the position of the large nut (23mm?) relative to the face.

Invert the clutch assembly and clamp the large nut in the jaws of a vice (not too tight, just enough to hold it loosely, like a wrench.) Now use a towel wrapped around it for good grip and turn the pulleys like you're opening a large water valve. (Use all 4 hands if needed!) :)

Once it breaks free turn it one or two turns...NO more.
Remove it and invert it so the nut is UP. Now lean on it with both hands (you're on your knees on the floor now!) and compress the contra spring.

NOW, use your 3rd hand to finish removing the large nut, then ....relax!

Assemble in reverse order.

This method works on the Forza.
Seen on youtube :
Large crescent wrench on that nut - pick up the whole thing by the clutch and tap the long wrench handle on the concrete floor while holding the clutch. It breaks loose the nut. Lay clutch on floor, nut up, sit with both feet holding down against the spring. Loosen nut and remove....slowly lift feet off of clutch. Reverse process to put it back together.
If you don't have a vise on a work bench this might work on a Forza.
Fish