YSS shocks adjustment question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

YSS shocks adjustment question

Post by montliz44 »

Hi all,

I've put a few miles on my new YSS reservoir rear shocks and I thought I might play with their adjustment a little, but now I see that I don't have any idea how to do that. The shocks came with no printed instructions at all, and the nice illustrations on the side of the box don't seem to relate to any parts or adjustors on the actual shocks themselves. I can see how you could compress or relax the springs by using the little pin tool to turn the top aluminum collar, but other than that I don't see any adjustors at all, and nothing that looks like the illustrations on the box.

Has anyone tried adjusting these? How would you do that? My main plan was to reduce the compression a little, since I only weigh 150lbs/68kg and they seem pretty stiff to me. For example, I can't compress them at all by just sitting on the seat, and I probably should be able to do that.

Thanks for your help,

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: YSS shocks adjustment question

Post by Jge64 »

you should have received a small bronze rod that fits in the cam at the bottom of the spring, twist until you are happy...
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014

Post by Robert R »

Google 'YSS shock adjustment' then troll through the results till you find your shock.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Just a note.
I have not seen any shock for the Forza or pcx below 500 usd what would have more adjustability than spring preload.
That said with preload settings one can set loaden sag - in case of the usual yss shocks with a rotating threaded mechanism just like JGE has mentioned earlier. Damping characteristics are preset and not adjustable without completely dismantling and rebuilding the shock.
In case you'd have a more expensive special shock just check the yss product code on the box of the shock (in case you have kept it) or on the invoice and look up the specifics of the device on yss website.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Got it!

Thanks, all. I did the research on the YSS website and found the answers. Until now I didn't know they were such a big company and that they made all these different types and applications of shocks... DOH!

Anyway it turns out the ones they make for the Forza are from the lower-priced end of the G series and are only adjustable for preload, by tightening or loosening the spring collar with the little pin tool. The nice illustrations on the box are for the top lines of shocks, which explains why I couldn't find anything on mine that look like that.

So I may just leave them alone. The scooter handles really great through the curves and I don't mind a little stiffness if it produces such good handling. Huge improvement over stock just the way they are, and YSS says that they are set at the factory for the average rider, whoever that is.

I'll let you know if I play with them later on down the road.

Thanks again,

Johnny
Sasso
Year: 2015

Post by Sasso »

I've got the PCX shocks with the reservoir (G Series something) I figured out the preload ok, and I believe compression/rebound damping control are the two little bolt/screws on the base and top ridge of the reservoir.

Totally agree regarding the handling of the bike post shock upgrade... I definitely want to somehow make the front forks more in line how now how the rear feels... But overall it feels like a new bike now, combine that with experimenting with slightly higher tire pressures and my scoot feels like a very agile and stable machine.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by Mister_Fube »

Has anyone got any experience of Bitubo's product range for the Forza. I found this online. The rear shocks are way more expensive than the YSS ones, but they do also offer fork springs for the front, which is the only place I've found to offer any alternative to the OEM forks on the Forza (so far).

http://www.bitubo.com/cerca-moto-modell ... ORZA%20300

It's in Italian, mind.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Bump And Mini Update

Hey all,

I was playing around today and decided to try adjusting the preload on these YSSs for the first time since I installed them. I've put a few hundred miles on them in the factory setting and decided that, though they were fine on the highway, they were probably unnecessarily stiff in town over the little pavement irregularities.

So I put the Forza up on the centerstand and, as a baseline, measured the distance between the adjusting collar and the upper shock mount casting. On mine the factory setting was about 1/2 inches (13 mm), so I rotated the collar until I had loosened it by half to about 1/4 inch (6 mm). I noticed that before I made any adjustments the springs were tight and hard to rotate while the scoot was on the centerstand, but after a very few mms of adjustment they became loose and had clearance. I decided to stop at the halfway point for the time being and put the scoot back down on the sidestand. That little bit of preload eliminated the sloppiness and the springs went back to being tight while on the sidestand.

I didn't really expect any dramatic difference in the ride, having only adjusted the shocks such a small amount, but as a test I went back over my daily commute and rode through all the places I've learned to avoid and found that the ride was noticeably softer and smoother. Of course this is all seat-of-the-pants science, but I'm pretty impressed by the difference that little bit of adjustment made. I may just go ballistic one day soon and loosen them all the way. (!)

Has anyone else played with the preload on these shocks? What have you found?

Lovin' my YSSs,

Johnny
alex01
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Post by alex01 »

Hi Johnny

You have the same model as me. There's no rebound or height adjustment. Just the preload base on the adjustable coil spring tension. The bike shouldn't sag too much when you sit on it, adjust till i doesn't. That should give you a the preload setting.

Otherwise upgrade the YSS G-range, see pics.

Regards
Alex
montliz44 wrote:Hi all,

I've put a few miles on my new YSS reservoir rear shocks and I thought I might play with their adjustment a little, but now I see that I don't have any idea how to do that. The shocks came with no printed instructions at all, and the nice illustrations on the side of the box don't seem to relate to any parts or adjustors on the actual shocks themselves. I can see how you could compress or relax the springs by using the little pin tool to turn the top aluminum collar, but other than that I don't see any adjustors at all, and nothing that looks like the illustrations on the box.

Has anyone tried adjusting these? How would you do that? My main plan was to reduce the compression a little, since I only weigh 150lbs/68kg and they seem pretty stiff to me. For example, I can't compress them at all by just sitting on the seat, and I probably should be able to do that.

Thanks for your help,

Johnny
Attachments
S__2932765-1.jpg
S__2932765-1.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

Are these the new YSS shocks just put out this fall for the Forza? I was told YSS would have a new offering in late Sept? Not sure how accurate that info would be? Does anyone know?
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

markcap wrote:Are these the new YSS shocks just put out this fall for the Forza? I was told YSS would have a new offering in late Sept? Not sure how accurate that info would be? Does anyone know?
I shall answer my own question!

Yes they are the new product from YSS. I purchased a set and installed last week just in time for the first snowfall of this winter. So the scoot sits waiting to be tested. Could be till April 2018 till I can test this new shock. But sure does look good sitting in the garage!
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Congrats, Markcap.

You won't regret it , and meanwhile you'll have the pleasure all winter of looking at those beautiful new shocks instead of the cheap P.O.S. ones that came on it.

Money and effort well spent!

Johnny
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

When I first got my Forza I played around with the stock shock settings. I ended up with a full soft setting for my 200 pound self. The full hard was cruel.
Attachments
IMG_2388.jpeg
IMG_2388.jpeg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 2947 times