more fuel capacity

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Re: more fuel capacity

Post by waybar »

Mister_Fube wrote:
gn2 wrote:Its enough for about 200 miles.
If you need more put a fuel container under the seat.
Wow. How are you managing to get 200 miles out of a tank? Even when I'm trying to hypermile, I can't get more than about 135 miles out of my tank.
Is you tank empty or is the guage just saying it is empty? When the fuel guage first reads empty, there is still about a gallon of fuel left in the tank. You should be able to get around 200 miles on a full tank.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

waybar wrote:
Mister_Fube wrote:
gn2 wrote:Its enough for about 200 miles.
If you need more put a fuel container under the seat.
Wow. How are you managing to get 200 miles out of a tank? Even when I'm trying to hypermile, I can't get more than about 135 miles out of my tank.
Is you tank empty or is the guage just saying it is empty? When the fuel guage first reads empty, there is still about a gallon of fuel left in the tank. You should be able to get around 200 miles on a full tank.
I ran my 2014 Forza 300 completely empty on purpose when it was relatively new. I got 329 km or 204 miles of hard riding.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

I ignore the fuel gauge it's so unreliable.

According to the fuel meter it's full for 60 miles, drains over the next 70 and says it's empty for the remaining 70

Reset the odometer each fill and refuel up just before 200miles.
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

I drive 130 miles (208 km) every 2 days and when I fill the tank mostly it is full again with 8,5 liters. So theoretical I can drive 175 miles (280 km).
90% is on the highway @ 80 mph (128 kmh)

When I drive 60 mph (96 kmh) I can drive almost 30% more on one tank.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I've theorised that if i needed more fuel capacity I'd simply carry a fuel can on the back of the bike. Being in the UK i've not seen it happen where I've been too far from a station.
aka DrewJW
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

DrewJW wrote:I've theorised that if i needed more fuel capacity I'd simply carry a fuel can on the back of the bike. Being in the UK i've not seen it happen where I've been too far from a station.
Yeah, that little tiny island does keep everything close together says the guy from Western Canada.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

davenowherejones wrote:
DrewJW wrote:I've theorised that if i needed more fuel capacity I'd simply carry a fuel can on the back of the bike. Being in the UK i've not seen it happen where I've been too far from a station.
Yeah, that little tiny island does keep everything close together says the guy from Western Canada.
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

That is not aloud here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dadragon wrote:
That is not aloud here.

Where?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Does it make noise? (Aloud vs allowed???)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

Mel46 wrote:Does it make noise? (Aloud vs allowed???)
Allowed is mean :)
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

Buy a small can of petrol, ride it until your bike is empty, runs out of fuel and stops.

See how far you have gone.

Then put the can of fuel in and stop at a petrol station.
The fuel meter on the dash is garbage.

I do notice from your fuelly page you are only getting 60-65mpg That may just be a result of London traffic or agressive riding.

Official Fuel capacity is 3 Gallons.
at 65mpg you wil get 65mpg x 3 miles from a tank = 195miles
I'm getting about 80mpg x 3 = 240miles

The maths is easy and far more accurate than the fuel guage.
Each fill up reset your odometer and mpg and use that.

Give yourself 10-20 miles as a margin for error.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by Mister_Fube »

Ok, I've only ever gone by the fuel gauge, and yes, I stop to refuel when the needle hits the middle of the red square at the bottom of the gauge - I've never gone over 138 miles on a tank before refuelling. I have a small green plastic jerry can, so I might put this to the test. I am aware of the fact that the fuel gauge doesn't shift from full for the first 30 - 40 miles or so, then seems to accelerate as it reads less and less fuel. That would be rather liberating if I could leave it closer to 200 miles before fill ups.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

The fuel gauge on the Forza does seem more decorative than anything else. Like you, I seem to get around 60 mpusg, and figure with a three gallon(ish) tank I should be good for 180. I use the odometer and refuel somewhere above 150 miles, but definitely before 170. Unlike western Canada, there is a gas station within 10 miles of pretty much anywhere I would be scooting. If stations were that few and far between, having a couple of liters in a SS bottle strapped somewhere makes a fair bit of sense.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

beegmouse wrote: I do notice from your fuelly page you are only getting 60-65mpg That may just be a result of London traffic or agressive riding.
Possibly a combination of these two factors and a third additional factor: I am a fat bastard.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I average around 76mpg without making any effort.
This gives me a useful range of 180 miles before the fuel state gets too desperate.
If I try really hard and there's no wind or traffic, I can get the mpg up in the 90s and have had it up over 100 on a few occasions.
To assess fuel consumption its important to ignore the fuel gauge and use the fuel computer and trip meter instead.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

Pushed it to the limit last Sunday. 307km (trip A) when i got in the petrol station. Filled it up, 11,1l (400ml in the tank). I guess Honda is right about consumption (~30,8 km/l). Never doubted it anyway.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

I want to thank everyone on this thread for raising my awareness of the true tank range of the Forza 300. I carried a jerry can with me as a precautionary measure and managed to get 168 miles out of the tank before I lost my nerve and pulled in for a fill - up. I could have squeezed a bit more out on my commute, but I was about to get on a fast stretch of motorway (4 lanes across in some places) and decided I didn't want to run out of horses somewhere awkward/dangerous.

So my commute has been greatly improved by being able to select which petrol station I use along the route, rather than having to pull in to the closest one, when the needle shows empty. Cheers everyone.

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Just to give a slight example of our distances in Canada. I left Merritt this afternoon and the next gas station was 120 km (75 miles) away. And that is a short distance around here. But people run out of gas every day because they are not paying attention.
leoper

Post by leoper »

fuel gauge is an ornament....

you can use this rule :

if consumption is 26 km / l : you can do 260 with 10 litres and you have 1,5 l in your bike