more fuel capacity

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Cosmic_Jumper

Re: more fuel capacity

Post by Cosmic_Jumper »

We have been "re-engineering" my buddy Hammy's 2014 NSS300 for Iron Butt long distance riding. We added a 2.5 gal Coyote Gear Tour Tank on a 1/4" aluminum plate mounted to the top case mounts. The TT fuel line connects to the main tank vent hose (disconnected from the evap canister). When empty the main tank is filled first then the TT. When running, the TT gradually replenishes the fuel used in the main tank. The entire fuel system (main & TT) works as one closed system and ultimately vents to the atmosphere via the TT vent. We could have run another line from the TT vent down to the evap canister to make it "legit", but...

He claims a range of 300+ miles a 80+ mph.

A Shad top case was reversed and the mount bolted thru the pillion area of the saddle after removing the butt stop. The butt stop holes were plugged using black plastic push in "rivet" used on automobile panels.

He is currently tweaking the variator with various combinations on rollers & sliders to gain better fuel economy (i.e. lower RPMs) at freeway speeds.

All in all, quite a piece of work. Hopefully he or I will post a photo soon. http://www.coyote-gear.com/

Tim
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think that it is great that you can fit everything so well. Did it come with instructions so that you would know what you needed in order to set it up correctly? There was a thread somewhere on this forum quite a while back in which someone with a PCX wanted to set up an extra tank. Do you think one could be set up above the muffler? I know that a bracket would have to be manufactured but that seems like the only place it could be set up fairly easily. I guess that you would have to level it there but I believe that the upper frame runs under the plastics there. Since the Forza is set up the same as the PCX in this manner, wouldn't it have been easier for you to set yours up there as well? I am just trying to figure out where else the tank could have been fitted. I use my top box all the time, so I wouldn't want to have to move it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

It'll just be a gravity feed to the standard fuel tank won't it?

Sent from my iPad
Cosmic_Jumper

Post by Cosmic_Jumper »

Well, as evidenced below, I am completely "challenged" when it comes to posting photos --in spite of coaching by Fearless Leader, Maddiedog. Anyway here are two links to photos of Hammy's Forza 300 "in full battle dress" showing the 2.5 gal Tour Tank and the Shad case mounted to the seat pillion.

C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\20160507_175502.jpg
C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\20160507_175421.jpg

The hose which appears (top photo) along the right side beneath the seat is the hydration hose from the camelback which can be seen peeking out from beneath the sheep skin seat cover.

Yes, the Tour Tank (TT) is gravity fed. Again, the TT fuel line is attached to the main tank vent line which was disconnected from the Evap Canister and rerouted along the left side frame where an automotive fuel filter was used to connect the TT and main tank vent lines.

Sorry to say but there were no "instructions" anywhere about How to..." It did take a lot of bodging before we got things right. IIRC this was our 3rd or 4th TT installation, with the previous installations being done on Silverwing 600 scooters for IBA rallies and long distance rides.

I hope this clears up some questions. If anyone would care to take the initiative to post the photo's here in this thread, please do so. I'm waay too confused by all this :?

Tim
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

C:\ relates to a file location on your personal computer.
You need to upload (transfer copies) of the pictures from your computer to the forum site or other hosting site and link to that location.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cosmic_Jumper

Post by Cosmic_Jumper »

Thank you both for your suggestion. But you have no idea just how incompetent and/or dick fingered I can be when it comes to tasks like this.

So I suppose that given they are "C:\" locations you all are unable to open those links.

Tim
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:Thank you both for your suggestion. But you have no idea just how incompetent and/or dick fingered I can be when it comes to tasks like this.

So I suppose that given they are "C:\" locations you all are unable to open those links.

Tim
We do and no we can't

Persevere
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

C:\ indicates that it is on your personal computer still. What you will need to do first of all is to make sure that the photo is small enough to fit. There are sizing limits for uploaded pictures. Once you have resized it, then make sure you are in the FULL Editor. It will give you additional boxes to use for photo uploading.
1) choose the photo
2) add the file
3) attach file
4) submit
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Stuck on a small muddy ice ridge
Attachments
IMG_7939 copy.jpg (657.52 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My first try at posting pictures at this site. Too much fuel is good until you are on fire.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, you did a good job of posting. I would have to say that the bike is a bit stuck, and Forzas are not light in weight. I am guessing that you got it out. Did you get help or did you have to wrestle it one inch at a time? (Thinking about that hurts my back.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mel46 wrote:Well, you did a good job of posting. I would have to say that the bike is a bit stuck, and Forzas are not light in weight. I am guessing that you got it out. Did you get help or did you have to wrestle it one inch at a time? (Thinking about that hurts my back.)
The heat of the engine melted some of the ice and I attacked the rest with a 17 mm open end wrench to make a way through. It was not that bad really. One guy stopped but I had it almost free at that time and his 900 lb big bike was in danger of tipping so I told him to go.

Why is the Forza so heavy?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:Why is the Forza so heavy?

Its a similar weight as other 300 maxi scooters.
They're heavier because there's more bodywork and more frame.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:

It would interesting to see someone like KTM make a scooter. It would probably be about half weight and twice the power, twice the costs.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

davenowherejones wrote:
gn2 wrote:

It would interesting to see someone like KTM make a scooter. It would probably be about half weight and twice the power, twice the costs.
And overheat. :lol:
Cosmic_Jumper

Post by Cosmic_Jumper »

Here are links to Hammy's Forza NSS300, "Aurora", as set up for his ride (from Philly) to San Francisco then turning round and leaving Memorial Day on the IBA's inaugural "George A Wyman Memorial Grand Tour" retracing Wyman's 1903 "motor bicycle" ride from SF to NYC. Sorry no actual photos. But I do hope these links will work and help.

Tim

Left side https://www.dropbox.com/s/65kw5dlglf94q ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Right side https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1mxjxfaovx06 ... 2.jpg?dl=0

Front https://www.dropbox.com/s/3smbwauyw61nc ... 2.jpg?dl=0

Lights https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy34b7gohcv8t ... 6.jpg?dl=0

Instruments https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnzr5qauo4vgq ... 1.jpg?dl=0