Rough engine

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Rough engine

Post by beegmouse »

Is it just me? Or does the Forza just rattle like a bag of old nails.

I came to a Forza from a PCX, I have a owned a bunch of bikes including a 1ltre Ducati and V-strom.
Nothing sounds "wrong" with the engine. It's not changed since new, been serviced regularly.

It's not loud, just buzzy. Between the resonance at 30mph/4.5k rpm, the foghorn at 65mph/7k rpm
it seems like the only time the engine's not annoying me is when I'm going so fast I can't hear it.

I know it's an old engine design shoehorned into a new bike. Anyone else think that this engines a bit of a dog? I don't think 70-80mpg I get is that great from a 300 when the PCX gets 130mpg and the NC750X gets 80mpg.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Rough engine

Post by gn2 »

beegmouse wrote:I know it's an old engine design shoehorned into a new bike
Absolutely wrong.
Its a new design.
The engine is mounted on a twin pivot antivibration swingarm.
There is a slight buzz around 65mph and light vibration at idle, but compared to most single cylinder two wheelers of similar capacity it is absolutely silky smooth.
Fuel consumption is as good as or better than an NC750.

If you think your Forza is a dog / bag of nails and are unhappy with it why do you keep it?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Just keep in mind that a single cylinder is noisy by its very nature. The more cylinders the quieter the motor.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

A slight buzzing, a vibration, squeaky, weird noise... I think we get a little spoiled with scooters sometimes they're so quiet. I hit the kill switch on my other bike while it was rolling down the block and it sounded like a bucket of bolts too. Get a louder muffler and all will seem normal.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You had a Ducati that didn't rattle? :D :D :) :D :D
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

One of my first observations about the Forza is how smooth it is. If yours sounds like a bag of nails I would take it back to the dealer ASAP.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

beegmouse wrote:Is it just me? Or does the Forza just rattle like a bag of old nails.

I came to a Forza from a PCX, I have a owned a bunch of bikes including a 1ltre Ducati and V-strom.
Nothing sounds "wrong" with the engine. It's not changed since new, been serviced regularly.

It's not loud, just buzzy. Between the resonance at 30mph/4.5k rpm, the foghorn at 65mph/7k rpm
it seems like the only time the engine's not annoying me is when I'm going so fast I can't hear it.

I know it's an old engine design shoehorned into a new bike. Anyone else think that this engines a bit of a dog? I don't think 70-80mpg I get is that great from a 300 when the PCX gets 130mpg and the NC750X gets 80mpg.
Something's wrong. I can't hear my engine at 7k revs on the motorway. When I bought it, with 1800 miles on, there was some noticeable vibration between 65 and 75mph, but that's completely gone now (I'm on 6k miles.)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mister Paul wrote:
beegmouse wrote:Is it just me? Or does the Forza just rattle like a bag of old nails.

Something's wrong. I can't hear my engine at 7k revs on the motorway. When I bought it, with 1800 miles on, there was some noticeable vibration between 65 and 75mph, but that's completely gone now (I'm on 6k miles.)

Sh1t. I'd get onto that straight away. My car is smooth as silk between 70 to 90, I hadn't realised it was a problem. WTF are those Mercedes engineers playing at. In cahoots with Honda. It's a conspiracy, thank God you pointed it out. Someone should complain
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I went from the Forza to a new Burgman 400. The Forza experience was much smoother.....the Forza engine seemed better isolated from the remainder of the scooter. I was thinking this just today as I was motoring along on my Burgman.
I like the Burgman - but the Forza was one smooth machine!

Perhaps it is the engine size - since my 163cc Kymco engine is even smoother when underway! Feels like a sewing machine by comparison.
Fish
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by kar120c »

It's not loud, just buzzy. Between the resonance at 30mph/4.5k rpm, .
I too have this resonance, very obvious when I accelerate slowly. I hear it between 4.2k and 4.4k rpm.
It seems almost like going from a smooth road to a rough one. I think it is not the engine but the cvt or clutch
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Could be the numberplate rattling.
Mine did.
Easily fixed with double sided tape.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gogobert
Color: White

Post by gogobert »

The numberplate...Yes...that was a BIG rattle-snake for me after like 200miles.
I fixed it with a bunch of "under-your-stool-don't-make-marks-on-the-floor-things", about 6 or 7 on top of each other, fitted between the plate and the rear wing.
Honda Nss300 Forza 2014 - White
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gogobert wrote:The numberplate...Yes...that was a BIG rattle-snake for me after like 200miles.
I fixed it with a bunch of "under-your-stool-don't-make-marks-on-the-floor-things", about 6 or 7 on top of each other, fitted between the plate and the rear wing.
Was the rattle snake unharmed after all of this?
TechFrog

Post by TechFrog »

I remember taking the Forza on its maiden "voyage" through Malibu Canyon and Pacific Coast Hwy. I left Hollywood at sunset and rode into the night (about a 60-mile loop. I was happy with my new purchase and started flirting with higher speeds on the freeway, despite only having about 200 miles on it, not fully broken in. I remember being a bit disappointed with the vibration somewhere around 70mph if I remember correctly. I think somewhere after about 2000 miles that vibration was gone. Not a license plate issue either. Seemed like belt resonance or something. Whatever it was, my vibrating issues were left back in the break-in period. That sounds wrong. Okay, my Forza vibrating issues. Yeah, that's better.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

Ran the engine without the belt on the other day, buzz still present. So definitely not the clutch or cvt.

I think the engine isn't so well balanced and something is loose and amplifying that frequency band.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Have you compared your Forza directly with another one?
That would identify whether its you or the scooter.

At 26,500 miles my original Mitsuboshi drive belt disintegrated and I replaced it with a Bando version and it seems a fair bit smoother in the 65-70 region.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

gn2 wrote:Have you compared your Forza directly with another one?

At 26,500 miles my original Mitsuboshi drive belt disintegrated and I replaced it with a Bando version and it seems a fair bit smoother in the 65-70 region.
I do not know what is in my 2014 Canadian Forza 300 but I got a spare belt yesterday from Honda Genuine Parts and it is a Bando. I will wait until I reach the 25,600 km (15,900 miles) odometer mark and then have it installed.

I am at 22,000 km now. I hope I make it to 25,600 km (Cancer scan in a week). I also hope the Forza makes it to 25,600 km.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

davenowherejones wrote:
gn2 wrote:Have you compared your Forza directly with another one?

I do not know what is in my 2014 Canadian Forza 300 but I got a spare belt yesterday from Honda Genuine Parts and it is a Bando. I will wait until I reach the 25,600 km (15,900 miles) odometer mark and then have it installed.

I am at 22,000 km now. I hope I make it to 25,600 km (Cancer scan in a week). I also hope the Forza makes it to 25,600 km.
You'll make it and so will the Forza, Dave, as long as you stay out from under those big trucks. BTW, don't forget you're supposed to tell us what the Doc says.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!