Forward attachment points for pillion cargo?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Forward attachment points for pillion cargo?

Post by MBMyer »

Suppose you were picking up a 25 lb bag of pet food. Or a ginormous pack of toilet paper. Or a couple of bricks of soda. The natural place to put such things is on the pillion.

I got my trunk box with a luggage rack on top for the same reason I put a luggage rack on the top of my Goldwing's trunk box: attachment points for a cargo web to hold things in place on the pillion. On the Wing, I slid oversized carabiners between the saddle and the forward ends of the passenger grab bars. Those carabiners served as the forward attachment points for the cargo web.

Today on my ride home from Givi, I lifted the seat up, wrapped a strap around the forward end of the pillion, and used that strap at the forward attachment for my cargo web so I could bring home the stock windscreen. It worked, but it wasn't a thing I'd like to do regularly for fear of damaging the seal between the bottom of the saddle and the body.

What have other people done / used on their Forzas as a place to tie down cargo to the passenger seat?

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Forward attachment points for pillion cargo?

Post by Mel46 »

I don't have a Forza, but i do have a pcx, and I had a thread somewhere on this forum about how I solved this problem. I pulled up the passenger 'hand holds' or whatever they may be called and inserted some straps under the metal part, between the frame and metal part of the hand holds. When they are not in use I tie them back by the tail lights, out of the way.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Any big items that won't fit under the seat get carried rested on the tunnel and held in place with my legs.
Never used a bungee on a scooter yet.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... it=+solved

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned. I don't know if it will help you, but here it is anyway.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

I bought a twin pack "motorcycle adjustable strap from ROK on Amazon" at £14.75....may be slightly dearer now...works excellently by anchoring to the base of the Top box( ie to the short uprights of the topbox base...so works even if the topbox is removed. The "luggage" sits on the passenger seat and is rock solid once the straps are tightened..Only disadvantage I have found ( and from many miles of use on tours etc) is that the seat storage cannot be opened without removing the luggage on the passenger seat.
I am hopeless at copying web locations but if you google uk what I have written above it shows...I hope...
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Mel46, very nice solution on the PCX. I've been poking around the Forza for similar ideas, and there may be a minimally invasive solution that works via the hard "backrest" between saddle and pillion, but I think I want to try something else first.

gn2, I'm just a bit too nervous to head off down the road without all my cargo secure. At least once a week I have people pull out in front of me (yesterday, it was a semi!), and this happened even when I was on the Wing. I need to be able to respond with all of my limbs without worrying about leaving cargo on the road for the people behind me.

dergrav, I have a couple of ROK straps that were very useful in securing all manner of bizarre cargo to the pillion of the Wing. For normal grocery stops &c, I preferred the quick & easy convenience of a cargo web. I'm hoping to come up with a similary quick, easy, & secure solution for the Forza.

However, in reading through the responses here, I realized I may be limiting myself by thinking about strapping things down instead of strapping them back. I'm going to play with the idea of lower straps connecting under the back of the top case mounting plate, web holding the cargo back against the top case, and upper straps connected to the top case's luggage rack. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
6 other previous bikes
wilbur
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza ABS
Color: The fast color

Post by wilbur »

The uprights for the rack will work, but I'm looking at ideas for the passenger footrests (which I never use anyways)... Either to loop under them, or replace them altogether. Also considering them as a lower point for hard case frames.
Image, Image
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Well, I have the solution that seems to work for me. I have moved from a cargo web to a Chase Harper Bungee Buddy and have carried loads on the pillion both by hooking the lower hooks to the passenger grab rail and by pulling the lower hooks back & under the top box and hooking them to the posts under the mounting plate.

Here are some pix:
Attachments
IMG_1005.jpg
IMG_1005.jpg (257.29 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_1004.jpg (255.47 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg (254.18 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
6 other previous bikes
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I've just seen this thread so I thought I'd add my view. In August I used the Eurotunnel to head over to Belgium for a few days. Most of the heave kit like locks and tools went under the seat (along with my helmet when parked up. I still had a little bit of room for other stuff if needed but the main stuff I needed for the trip like spare clothing went into a 30ltr Oxford Aqua dry bag (the also do them in 2 larger capacities - 70 and 90 litres I think) The Aqua comes with its own straps but I went with 2 Rok Straps simply passed under the seat and tightened. That bag didn't move once. I can't recommend Rok Straps highly enough. I emailed Givi to ask if there was another way of fitting their tunnel bags without the awful Velcro pads but seemingly there isn't so I tend not to use a tunnel bag unless I'm just wanting a small bag that I can tie on the pillion seat. I think manufacturers should think a little more about tie-down options on scooters. The Forza 300 and scooters of a larger engine capacity are by and large very capable of light touring. I went as far as Mons which is around 120 miles from the Channel Tunnel but having thought about it I wouldn't rule a trip to Germany,maybe even as far as Hamburg, as beyond my Honda's capabilities. I think Berlin, lovely city though it is, may be a bit too far given the time involved.
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Tunnel bags don't need the velcro pads or any other attachment, you just plop the bag on the tunnel and your legs hold it in place.
I regularly carry a rucksack this way and it works fine for me.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

I also put stuff on the tunnel (the 'clothes bag' fits just tight enough to hold its own. Sorry, no pic,
this forum wont accept the phone's high pixels)

I hate top boxes, and think the Honda rack kind of cumbersome, so decided to use the threads provided
by Honda (for rack install) to rig a simple cross-bar right over the top rear RED plastic cover. This, and
I drilled 1/2" holes (4 of those) into the LOWER ALUMINUM part of the rear end. I had my tent, mattress,
sleeping bag, plus a pack-sack all tied up there on a recent 2000km trip, no problem. Plus, it takes no
more than a few minutes to 'operate'.

I paid just a few $ for a copper tube, inox collars+M8x1.25 nuts/bolts, and a few rubber dampers/spacers.
500$ for a gyroscopic top box? No way.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MBMyer wrote:Well, I have the solution that seems to work for me. I have moved from a cargo web to a Chase Harper Bungee Buddy and have carried loads on the pillion both by hooking the lower hooks to the passenger grab rail and by pulling the lower hooks back & under the top box and hooking them to the posts under the mounting plate.

Here are some pix:

Looks thongtastic.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

And here it is delivering a new tire to be installed at the shop. (The local Honda shop said that the rear tire I wanted was on backorder and gave me a date to try again. Before that date arrived, the tire did from a different source. I honestly do try to shop local, but they don't make it easy.)
IMG_1706.JPG
IMG_1706.JPG (584.89 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
So far, I am quite happy with this particular set-up for strapping items to the pillion. I'm only sorry that I didn't think to take a picture of the huge take-n-bake pizza I brought home a couple of weeks ago, because if I ever need to do that again, I'll spend far too long scratching my head trying to remember what I did the first time.
6 other previous bikes
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Theboybilly wrote:...but I went with 2 Rok Straps simply passed under the seat and tightened. That bag didn't move once. I can't recommend Rok Straps highly enough....
I concur. I have a couple of Rok straps that I bought for use on the Wing, and they are great. For about a year, I kept them under the seat of the Forza, but I've yet to use them on this bike, so I've stored them in the basement for now. But I would be hard pressed to think of a better design for single straps.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
6 other previous bikes
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

MBMyer wrote:And here it is delivering a new tire to be installed at the shop. (The local Honda shop said that the rear tire I wanted was on backorder and gave me a date to try again. Before that date arrived, the tire did from a different source. I honestly do try to shop local, but they don't make it easy.)
IMG_1706.JPG
So far, I am quite happy with this particular set-up for strapping items to the pillion. I'm only sorry that I didn't think to take a picture of the huge take-n-bake pizza I brought home a couple of weeks ago, because if I ever need to do that again, I'll spend far too long scratching my head trying to remember what I did the first time.
I have to do a similar thing for my next tire. I have a similar case and I want to get that tie down rack on the top. What are those hand guards/mits? Where?
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

The handlebar muffs are from Tucano Urbano. Despite living here in North America, I bought them from an online store in the UK.

Last season, I used all stock parts, and so had to find some fender washers to keep the handlebar end weight bolt from simply pulling through the muffs. This year, I have added some longer end weight to the handlebars, and so have had to find longer bolts to attach the muffsv
6 other previous bikes