stuck brake reservoir screw

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

stuck brake reservoir screw

Post by fish »

Noticed that rear brake fluid reservoir was near lower mark...bought some Honda dot 4 fluid and topped up the reservoir......this also might mean rear pads are needing attention. Attempted to open the front reservoir to draw out fluid and add new (since you're not supposed to keep old/opened fluid for reuse, use it!)
One of the little reservoir screws would not budge.....even after using the proper JIS driver!
It took two different sized easy out cutting/grabbing bits to get the screw out. I waited for the new screws(and brake parts, since I need to go in there....replace the consumables while I'm in there)
I noted that the new Honda parts bags contained actual JIS screws ( with telltale dot marking)....slightly different than the factory used.
So, be aware....they shoot these little jammers pretty tight in Thailand.
Very happy to see that screw come loose, finally!(not much head remaining, when it did)
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: stuck brake reservoir screw

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Noticed that rear brake fluid reservoir was near lower mark...bought some Honda dot 4 fluid and topped up the reservoir......this also might mean rear pads are needing attention. Attempted to open the front reservoir to draw out fluid and add new (since you're not supposed to keep old/opened fluid for reuse, use it!)
One of the little reservoir screws would not budge.....even after using the proper JIS driver!
It took two different sized easy out cutting/grabbing bits to get the screw out. I waited for the new screws(and brake parts, since I need to go in there....replace the consumables while I'm in there)
I noted that the new Honda parts bags contained actual JIS screws ( with telltale dot marking)....slightly different than the factory used.
So, be aware....they shoot these little jammers pretty tight in Thailand.
Very happy to see that screw come loose, finally!(not much head remaining, when it did)
Fish

Was it corroded or just in tight?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

All four were tight. One was stupid tight.
New scoot......try your's.
Fish
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

I had the same thing happen to me with the last scooter I had before the Forza, a Hyosung MS3-250. Got three screws out but the fourth would not budge.
Had to get a GraBit to get it out, almost didn't think I was going to get it out with that at first.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

waybar wrote:I had the same thing happen to me with the last scooter I had before the Forza, a Hyosung MS3-250. Got three screws out but the fourth would not budge.
Had to get a GraBit to get it out, almost didn't think I was going to get it out with that at first.
Yep ....seemed touch and go.
Simplest thing can go sideways when doing auto/scoot mechanics.
Crazy.
Fish
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

For these small screws, I find that if you have to use a graBit it is better to use left hand drill bits. Often with the heat and friction the screws will back out.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When the level gets low its either because there's a leak or the pads are worn.
If the pads are worn down low, when you lever the piston back to accomodate the new pads the level resumes at the original higher level.
So if there isn't a leak you don't need new fluid and you don't need the caps off the reservoirs.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:When the level gets low its either because there's a leak or the pads are worn.
If the pads are worn down low, when you lever the piston back to accomodate the new pads the level resumes at the original higher level.
So if there isn't a leak you don't need new fluid and you don't need the caps off the reservoirs.
Unless you want to keep the fluid fresh? You're a man of the manual and can pontificate more than any mere mortal and I'm sure you would advise changing your brake fluid regularly?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

gn2 wrote:When the level gets low its either because there's a leak or the pads are worn.
Agree
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350