After upsizing rear tire - what sliders, BRed?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

After upsizing rear tire - what sliders, BRed?

Post by fish »

I live in the USA and after this experience I had to replace the 140/70-13 ScootSmart with a 150/70-13 Bridgestone Hoop...in order to get away from the HTF Smarties.

Both the smaller Dunlop and the larger Bridgestone are designed for a 4" rim. My new tire has a load rating of 617 lbs compared to 567lbs with the Dunlop, and a speed rating of 112 MPH vs 94MPH. There were no fitment issues with the new tire - and after 500 +miles I have no issues with it.
However the Bridgestone also has a 2.8% larger circumference, which I imagine has had an effect on the over-the-road performance.
I'm not a sport rider - I just poke around avoiding drama for the most part....but I figure the larger tire must have impacted something?

My question : is there be a slider/roller weight package that would mimic the stock behavior and RPM's off the line and down the road ? Image
Thanks, Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: After upsizing rear tire - what sliders, BRed?

Post by you you »

Has the behaviour changed?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Hi Fish - trying to understand what is meant by 'after this experience I had to replace the 140/70-13 ScootSmart with a 150/70-13 Bridgestone Hoop...in order to get away from the HTF Smarties' and the scoot on the truck. You say you had no issues after 500 miles - but did something go wrong after that?
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

fish wrote:However the Bridgestone also has a 2.8% larger circumference, which I imagine has had an effect on the over-the-road performance.
I'm not a sport rider - I just poke around avoiding drama for the most part....but I figure the larger tire must have impacted something?

My question : is there be a slider/roller weight package that would mimic the stock behavior and RPM's off the line and down the road ? Thanks, Fish
Tire size is where your final gearing meets the road, so to speak? :D

The main noticeable effect of tire size is on calculated mileage and fuel mileage.
most can't feel it the gearing change but there are some obvious effects....
the larger the circumference of the rear tire, the farther down the road your ass will move for each revolution of the engine, but....
the smaller diameter tire will spin up to speed faster because of its greater mechanical advantage.
one effect benefits the touring bike and the other benefits the drag bike

there's another effect....large tires have more mass than small tires so that adds to equation, but a tire's effect on overall gearing would probably only add up to a gram or so per roller. Hard to tune for, but possible with a graphing computer....
you can tune variator weights for belt wear very effectively.

Somewhere I have some graphs of several runs on one BR with an old worn out tire and then, a brand new tire....
the shape of the curves was the same, but the new tire lowered rpm by about 100revs, almost point for point right down the curve.