Broken Box Button

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Shanesan
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Broken Box Button

Post by Shanesan »

hey all,

Special situation I thought you guys might be interested in. My box button on the dash of the Forza doesn't work anymore. When the key is in lock, the button doesn't move like it's supposed to. When the key is on accessory, the button moves like it's supposed to.

The issue is that when you push the button when it's on accessory, yes the button moves, but the box doesn't open.

So now it's at the dealership, and the dealership says they have to break open the box to fix it, I don't know why. But they have to break open the box to fix it, and they don't know if it's covered under warranty. How is this not covered under warranty? The button doesn't budge when it's locked, and moves when it's unlocked. There's nothing else that you can do as a user, or as a criminal, to break the button.

Stuffs ridiculous.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Broken Box Button

Post by gn2 »

The opener can stick, you need to make sure the button comes fully up (press the top half) and the lock is in exactly the right place before pressing it down, a wiggle with the key helps, as does WD40 in the lock.
It can be a bit fiddly sometimes.
The button activates a bowden cable and it is an extremely simple mechanism, but to get at it involves a fair bit of dismantling and nothing has to be "broken" during the repair.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Shanesan

Post by Shanesan »

Hmm. Perhaps this dealership should get a review.
Cozmicdave

Post by Cozmicdave »

I've read about the box problem before. Seems the cable in some of them actually becomes not connected to whatever kind of caliper they used. It should be under warranty. I mentioned the issue to the dealer and they simply said they tested it and it worked. Everyone who had the problem of course had it working when they bought it, then it failed later. Because of this I don't put valuables inside of it, and put my house keys and wallet under the seat instead. In addition, if a dealership claims they have to break something they're mechanically incompetent. And if they do break something, they should be held liable for replacement. They should have access to detailed schematics. Try to have patience as these are a new model and it's likely the first time they've dealt with it.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Hi Shanesan, We know you have red 2014 Forza with a broken button, but we may be able to give further assistance if you told us where you are in this big bad world.

If you go back to User Control Panel/Options, then on the left hit Profile. There is a "Location" box where you can put your general location. You don't have to be really specific if you're worried about security. It simply helps the other forum members to supply advice.