A few questions on cleaning

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Forza208
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

A few questions on cleaning

Post by Forza208 »

Questions regarding cleaning:
  • Wax or no wax? Is using a product like Turtle Wax on the red painted plastic parts of the Forza necessary, advisable, or inadvisable?
    Dead bugs: The windscreen, headlights, and other parts on the front of the Forza have a tendency to collect dead bugs. What is the best way to remove them?
    General cleaning: Is wiping down the Forza with a damp cloth sufficient for keeping it clean or is some kind of soap / cleaner recommended?
Questions regarding preventative maintenance:
  • Fuel additives: Is using a product such as Sea Foam or STA-BIL necessary, advisable, or inadvisable?
    Checking oil and other fluids: How often (in miles and/or time) are such checks necessary?
    What else? What should I be doing on a weekly, monthly basis, etc. to keep my Forza in the best condition?
Owner of a red 2014 Honda Forza
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." — Oscar Wilde
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: A few questions on cleaning

Post by fish »

I use "Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish" all over the scoot (except tires & seat). Puts a very nice finish on the paint & windscreen - beads the water very well.
Dead bugs I get off after soaking with a warm wet cloth...to loosen the residue, not scrubbing.
I ride my Forza regularly so I use no additives to the fuel. Honda does not call for any to be added.
I check the oil every day and the coolant level window weekly along with the PSI in the tires.
The servicing (valves, air filter, brake fluid, spark plug, center & side stand lube, etc. ) can be performed as per the manual - but some of us do it much more often...which draws a lot of troll attention....but our scoots certainly don't mind.

It's a good scooter - ride safe.
Fish
Forza208
Color: Red

Post by Forza208 »

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the input from those with more experience than myself.
Owner of a red 2014 Honda Forza
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." — Oscar Wilde
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I wash the bodywork with plain water - using small paper-towels to do a wet-wip and dry ones to dry off - bodywork, side panels, rear plate, mirrors all do fine with this. The parts I would like to get clean are the engine area, filter and wheels - they look dire with Londons grim and wet weather.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I use a foam gun.( demon shine ) Spray it on, leave it 5 mins and hose it off. I polish it with autoglym resin polish. Brings it up a treat. Don't get the polish on the black bits as its a tw&t to come off.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Powerwasher
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

you you wrote:Powerwasher
Rebel.
mboni

Post by mboni »

The paint is pretty much standard automotive paint, without a clearcoat. So treating the finish like a car is probably your best option. I use the same protective polish on my scooters that I use on my car, and it keeps the finish looking nice. (Given the lack of a clearcoat, it's probably more important to wax/polish the scooters) For washing, you can use standard carwash soap and a hose, or the quick detailer sprays work well in-between washes. (I use Zaino polish, if you want to know)

Bugs on the windshield come off nicely with the world's universal solvent: water. Just soak for a few minutes to soften things up, then wipe with a soft cloth or even your hands. I like using Plexus on the windscreen to keep it looking good, but water is sufficient for bug removal. In the middle of a long ride, I often just get a cup of water from a gas station and pour it down the windshield.