Forza Rear Brake Dragging?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Forza Rear Brake Dragging?

Post by fish »

Moving around my son's 500 bike and my other scooter is easy --- but the rear brakes on the Forza can be heard to be draggin a little - making it 'heavy' to roll. Not much, but some. The back tire can be spun by hand but it is certainly not a free spinner.
The parking brake is not dragging, and the disc does not get hot while riding.

Not sure the brake is an issue, but If the brake is dragging inappropriately - which of these parts might need to be renewed...or lubed?
Thanks, Fish

DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Forza Rear Brake Dragging?

Post by DAB »

Lube and clean item 7, with red rubber grease. this is the pin that the calliper slides on.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Ever use the parking brake?
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

tbln930 wrote:Ever use the parking brake?
Nearly every day.
Fish
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

On my Forza the pads touch the disc so it is not a free wheeler either and I can hear the pads rubbing. If I give it a soft spin it turns maybe 1/4 turn of the wheel before stopping. I probably could do a good push and it get it to go more than half a turn if I had it on a lift and shoved really hard. That is normal. I would check the parking brake just to make sure that isn't an issue.

Honda has had recalls on several bikes for dragging rear brakes but nothing much out there about the Forza having any problems. The PCX has more.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You've also got the drag of the final drive to think about, it isn't just the brake pads.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You've also got the drag of the final drive to think about, it isn't just the brake pads.
True. The pads are always skating over the discs. On any vehicle with them. It's not an issue
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

As (you you )said all disc brakes system do have drag , if all working normally the rubber seal in the calliper around the piston will deflect once brake handle is released this is the first step then as you drive wind between disc and pads is secondary release, some cars will have some helper springs on brake pads to push pads away from disc,but there not on the forza 300 , I would say keep and eye on the wheel and sping it now and then to see if it's harder to rotate and keep and eye on excessive heat from disc ,burning smell ,black coloured disc, it would be a good thing to service your brakes at least once a year ,or when you replace the tires, you must remouve the pads clean the rust were they mount in the caliper braket and under the pad spring clips. Clean sliders and lub , under pads use moly coat .

Don
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Thanks you guys! I could write a fat book about all the stuff I have no clue about.
This is the kind of info that puts make believe issues to bed.
I kinda hoped this was not a big problem - disc felt OK after a long ride - except Gn2 reported an issue, so, thought I'd ask.
(even though my 163cc, 265 lb. Kymco scooter moves quite easily - and of course my son's 400lb CB500X is a snap to roll)

Super...I will keep an eye on things and clean and lube the next time I go in there. Often I'll just replace with a new bolt, etc. to get back to 'as new' functioning.
Will add a couple parts to the mirrors order....but not a caliper.
El Segundo Avocado!
Fish
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Since the forza has a parking brake on usa built scooters and some other countries there will be more drag on the rear wheel as you have slight drag from parking brake plus a little more drag from rear disc brake pads , so pushing the forza around will be a little harder then a similar motorcycle with no parking brake ,also the forza has smaller wheels then a motorcycle so more rolling resistance and the forza is a heavy scooter a lot more then most motorcycles ,these are things to consider when pushing the forza around ,I have a canadian forza so no parking brake so easier to push around , I never considered it hard to push around.

Don
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

To assess if the caliper is sticking, put it on the centrestand and try to turn the wheel by hand.
You'll know immediately if it is because it will feel like the brakes are applied.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

If the caliper's sticking it may be worse after a run as the disc will expand slightly when it gets hot.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Fish, in another thread you mentioned a tire replacement....
are you saying the rear brakes are dragging more noticeably after the tire replacement/false swingarm removal?

If so (and only if SO).... I suggest you check the service manual for proper swingarm removal and reinstallation....
whether or not the specific instructions are for the Forza with parking brake and Euro Forza with spacer, I'm not sure.

When talking with them about a future fuel pump replacement, I asked the local Honda dealer about other Forza known issues.
Of course there were the complaints about the seat damper, but also some rear brake issues, always occurring after the first tire replacement, even if the dealership replaced the tire.

Read the service manual so you know what and how to ask the service department about this, should damage to the rear disc occur.

Like the fuel pump, there is a specific series of steps that need to be followed during removal and re-installation....
ignoring these steps can have consequences.
oxbowlarry
Year: 2006 forza
Color: pearl white

Post by oxbowlarry »

I had to 'unscrew' the emergency brake part that the adjuster bolt goes into and clean a bunch of greasy grimy dirt out of it of mine.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

BRed wrote:Fish, in another thread you mentioned a tire replacement....
are you saying the rear brakes are dragging more noticeably after the tire replacement/false swingarm removal

Read the service manual so you know what and how to ask the service department about this, should damage to the rear disc occur.

Like the fuel pump, there is a specific series of steps that need to be followed during removal and re-installation....
ignoring these steps can have consequences.
Thanks for the info BRed,
Nope - no extra brake drag after the recent tire replacement.
I hoped that my dealer could do this tire work with no issues.....otherwise the closest "Honda Powerhouse" dealer was an additional 30 mile tow from my flat tire. So, I went with the local motorcycle/scooter shop that sells new Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis,Kawasakis, Ducatis, Kymco, etc. I asked the fellow manning the service desk this question earlier in the day," Why does the 2013 CB500X specifiy a valve check at 600 miles, but in the 2014 manual the bike does not get a valve check after the first 600 miles?" He said it probably has to do with a different oil being used. ??

Still, he called forward the actual mechanic to discuss my tire change when I returned on a tow truck later that day.

I looked over the Forza with a flashlight when I got home, and I found no issues with their work --- though I am pretty certain they have not ever worked on a Forza before. If you remember, I rode the extra 30 miles past this dealer in a 45 degree driving rain to get my fuel pump replaced at the distant Powerhouse dealer to insure a good servicing -- only to have them break some panels (got the pump done OK, though).
You know, a fellow tries to do the right thing by his scoot - but too often it seems to be an adventure.
The senior parts tech and I were discussing the poor state of scootering in the USA.....He said it will be getting better - I said I cannot see any reason that scooters will ever be taking off in this country. I'm OK with that - but dang !....
Fish
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I just asked my wife yesterday if there a lot more scooters than there used to be or am I noticing them more? She said I am just noticing them more. :lol: Sales were pretty flat or even a bit down last year at just over 30,000 scooter sales in the US in total. My Honda dealer which is pretty large and sells a lot of scooters says that the number of automatic bikes including scooters and DCTs is growing rapidly. He also said the request for the Forza is up so they now have four instead of two in stock along with four PCX. They have over twenty new scooters in stock in total including some 2013 Silverwings and about twenty more in DCT bikes. The have a handful of used ones as well so maybe fifty in total (auto bikes) on the floor out of about 250 bikes they stock. He said that is quite a jump from just a few years ago.

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:" Why does the 2013 CB500X specifiy a valve check at 600 miles, but in the 2014 manual the bike does not get a valve check after the first 600 miles?"
Presumably because there were issues with the manufacturing which were subsequently resolved.