Honda forza 300 fuel pump recall leaks gas after recall

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Honda forza 300 fuel pump recall leaks gas after recall

Post by Forza 300 »

UPDATE scooter sat in garage all night with a full tank of fuel ,NO LEAKS , bone dry I guess I will put the panels back on later today. This is going to be a night mare problem for this fuel pump recall to all techs working on them and to all forza owners .

Don
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Forza 300 wrote:UPDATE scooter sat in garage all night with a full tank of fuel ,NO LEAKS , bone dry I guess I will put the panels back on later today. This is going to be a night mare problem for this fuel pump recall to all techs working on them and to all forza owners . Don
Don't know about a nghtmare, just get some tech's that know how to do the job they are paid for - they are supposed to be trained mechanics and not putting vehicles on the road with fuel leaks.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

iceman wrote:
Forza 300 wrote:UPDATE scooter sat in garage all night with a full tank of fuel ,NO LEAKS , bone dry I guess I will put the panels back on later today. This is going to be a night mare problem for this fuel pump recall to all techs working on them and to all forza owners . Don
Don't know about a nghtmare, just get some tech's that know how to do the job they are paid for - they are supposed to be trained mechanics and not putting vehicles on the road with fuel leaks.

As a retired honda tech for 34 years ,I have seen many things ,the way I look at it ,you have to do the job to get a real feel for it , and like I said it's going to be a nightmare for all techs and forza owners as when you do this job you cannot see if the seal is going in correctly due to the dust seal on top hiding the o ring and with the tank on the bike it makes it harder then at the factory,the techs have to be really carefull as the tank taper is not wide egnough for the o ring size ,margin of error is very small, if the pump is not 100% strait the seal will pop out on one side, this is why I installed the pump without the dust seal on so I can see its 100% square and in place , then I installed the dust seal after pump was in tank ,the dust seal is rubber and can go on after with about 3 minutes of playing around using a pick tool and working the dust seal around the fuel pump locating tabs ,it looks imposible but I had nothing to loose as my dust seal and o ring are on back order for maybe 2 months here in Canada.

Don
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Forza 300 wrote:UPDATE scooter sat in garage all night with a full tank of fuel ,NO LEAKS , bone dry I guess I will put the panels back on later today. This is going to be a night mare problem for this fuel pump recall to all techs working on them and to all forza owners .

Don
Success?

Supposedly mine will be ready to pickup (again!) tomorrow. Dealer sad it's been sitting full of fuel for over two days now without any leaks. They're going to put it all back together tomorrow and I can pick it up then. I hope!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Forza 300 wrote:
iceman wrote:
Forza 300 wrote:UPDATE scooter sat in garage all night with a full tank of ,it looks imposible but I had nothing to loose as my dust seal and o ring are on back order for maybe 2 months here in Canada.

Don
Thanks for your work on this Don - or rather for sharing your findings with us.
Think you were going in there - with or without us!
Got lucky, I guess, they did my pump with no leaks (broke a couple of panels - but hey! I rode 30 miles in a cold driving rain to get to a Honda mega shop because I didn't trust my local guys. Forget how many hours I sat reading mags while they did the work.)
Man, there has got to be a slew of that size 0 ring on a parts shelf some place.
OK, I agree - this is a fairly simple job IF you've done it before and know what to watch for.....the manual needs some bold print to caution the techs about this leak issue. The manual does seem to hint htat care should be taken - and specifies the tightening sequence, etc.
Any advice on pulling the batch of panels you removed - that is where I'll be going when I do the valves in the future. (already have my full shim kit - matches the one my Honda dealer has in his service bay. $35 off of an eBay seller.)
I'm a bit of a nut on valves and oil changes (final drive & engine) - but I make no excuses for myself. I enjoy tinkering with my scooters almost as much as riding them. I do my Kymco's valves 3 or 4 times a year (a 1/2 hr job - bit longer if I'm having coffee and spit shining everything while I'm under the seat.
Again, thanks for your report - sure hope you don't leak!
Fish
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Got a call from the honda dealer saying my parts are in ,the fuel pump o ring and dust seal after telling me the night before there on back order until mid May , not sure how they got them but I have them now ! Well three days and no leaks ,also drove 40 kilometers and parked it overnight still no leaks .
For panel remouval ,they must be warm as cold panels become brittle, a shop manual helps or better a picture of panel showing backside so you can see how the clips work, a panel remouval tool sold as a kit at princess auto in canada or harbour freight tools in usa if you want you can make your own panel tool using a Popsicle stick and filing the ends to a point to make wedge make two or three it helps as you push one between panels you can leave it there to stop clips from reattaching and use second to pry next clip , patience and prying a little at a time ,
Oh thanks Fish a gas leak blowing all over a hot engine and exaust is a little scary !
Don
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Forza 300 wrote:Got a call from the honda dealer saying my parts are in ,the fuel pump o ring and dust seal after telling me the night before there on back order until mid May , not sure how they got them but I have them now !
Don
Is there a part number on the oring you can read? If so,that might lead to a source for it besides Honda, and tell the material it's made from.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

I checked on the seals themself nothing on them on the bag it says for the o ring made in China 17572-GGL-J00 and the fuel pump dust seal says made in Thailand and the part number is 17518-GGL-J00.

Don
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Forza 300 wrote:I checked on the seals themself nothing on them on the bag it says for the o ring made in China 17572-GGL-J00 and the fuel pump dust seal says made in Thailand and the part number is 17518-GGL-J00.

Don
Ya, those are the Honda numbers. Picked up my scoot today (it was at dealer 12 days for this last attempt to stop fuel leak)....rode it home without problems...and no leaks on the drive after several hours! Crossing my fingers!

I asked them if they had the oring in stock....they checked and said "yes!...but, wait, there's no bin # shown, so....?". Maybe one of them is now in my Forza!
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

Ever since I bought my Forza, I've been somewhat underwhelmed with the guy running the service department where I purchased it. He may be a fine mechanic, but he seemed awfully disorganized. Heck, when I called and asked how much my initial oil change would cost, he didn't know... Gave me a "somewhere around... $$, but just bring it in". Same with the recall stuff. I asked him about scheduling a time I can bring it in so they'd have time to get the part(s) needed. Again, I got the "just bring it in and we'll call you when it's done". I kind of would like to know when that might be. So I've delayed taking it there. There's another Honda place that I think I'm going to check on. Since it's not the place I bought it from, is that cool? Wasn't sure if I'm breaking any weird cross-town code if I did this. If they work out, thats probably where I'd take it for future servicing.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Here in Canada if it's under warranty or if there is a recall to be done ,you can bring it to any honda motorcycle dealer. And they have to do the work for free ,it's the law, I brought mine to a different dealer then I bought it from, but after the dealer scratched my seat ,left 2 screws out , and not doing the the fuel pump recall properly and I ended with a major fuel leak , that's the last time I get any work from that dealer! ( 3 strikes there out)

Don
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Vesper2112 wrote:Since it's not the place I bought it from, is that cool? Wasn't sure if I'm breaking any weird cross-town code if I did this. If they work out, thats probably where I'd take it for future servicing.
My dealer sells all kinds of mostly motorcycles, but seems to know very little about scooters - wanting to charge me $362 for the 600 mile service on my $3000 Kymco. ("1 & 1/2 hours through all that plastice to get to the valves" - I have never seen the guts of a scooter in my life - but I had the valve cover off in 20 mins) So, I took the Forza 30 miles further down the road to one of those mega/power all-Honda stores to let the Honda experts do my fuel pump recall. They did the pump with no probs but broke 2 panels - and have replaced them since.
But, yes any Honda dealer will do your warranty work.....but dad-gum I wish they had more experience with scooters in the USA - but that ain't n e v e r going to happen. Middle of Ohio is not the scooterin' capital of the world. Sadly.
Scooters are weird, scooter riders even weirder-0. Or, is it weird0-er?
Fish
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Your right fish your not in the middle of scooter heaven but your pretty close to them airstream trailers in jackson center ohio ,that's what I think every time I see ohio as I was there last year getting my airstream trailer warrantee work done ,I must say they did do good work on my trailer .

Don
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

Looks like the dealer finally got the fuel leak cured after changing the fuel pump on my Forza...3rd times the charm I guess. It's been almost a week with no leak showing up. I asked the dealer what they did different this time and he said this time they let the fuel filter, which is attached to the bottom of the pump, dry completely before they slipped the oring over it and onto the pump. The oring swells when gasoline contacts it (apparently it's suppose to BUT only after the pump is installed and fuel added). Then they installed it "dry"...no oil on the oring. He also said mine was the first Forza they did the fuel pump recall on that came in with fuel in the tank...the others were brand new, off the showroom. They must have not pumped all the fuel out of the tank on previous tries...???
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Thanks Steve for the info on the O ring swelling up once it touches fuel , I never heard of this before but I guess its posible ,maybe that's why I had a bit of trouble trying to fit a oring that's was already used when the dealer messed it up and pinched the o ring , I had no choice due to the oring was suppose to be on back order , I gave it a try and I tried like the shop manual says to install ,but the o ring would always pop out of place that's when I decided to try it my way , I cleaned the o ring then used dish soap instead of motor oil , I also remouved the dust seal so I could see that the oring was lined up and going into the fuel tank evenly, I screwed in the fuel pump nuts two turns at a time in a crisis cross patern so the pump was being pushed into tank evenly once in ,I put a film of dish soap on the dust seal and wiggled and played around with it to get it on the fuel pump that was already installed in the tank I had to use a pick tool to do this , the hardess part was to get the dust seal around the fuel pump locating tabs it looked imposible but the rubber dust seal is very stretchable. It's been a week and 250 kilometers and no leaks ! Thanks again Steve for the info I guess honda has to update there service bulletins on this fuel pump recall.

Don
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

Forza 300 wrote:Thanks Steve for the info on the O ring swelling up once it touches fuel , I never heard of this before but I guess its posible ,maybe that's why I had a bit of trouble trying to fit a oring that's was already used when the dealer messed it up and pinched the o ring , I had no choice due to the oring was suppose to be on back order , I gave it a try and I tried like the shop manual says to install ,but the o ring would always pop out of place that's when I decided to try it my way , I cleaned the o ring then used dish soap instead of motor oil , I also remouved the dust seal so I could see that the oring was lined up and going into the fuel tank evenly, I screwed in the fuel pump nuts two turns at a time in a crisis cross patern so the pump was being pushed into tank evenly once in ,I put a film of dish soap on the dust seal and wiggled and played around with it to get it on the fuel pump that was already installed in the tank I had to use a pick tool to do this , the hardess part was to get the dust seal around the fuel pump locating tabs it looked imposible but the rubber dust seal is very stretchable. It's been a week and 250 kilometers and no leaks ! Thanks again Steve for the info I guess honda has to update there service bulletins on this fuel pump recall.

Don
Don, thank you very much for the way you practiced.
It seems impossible for a Chinese forza owner to buy a new o-ring within a shorter time like you.
I have to try the old one. And, you did it! You gave me a example and you stimulated me.
I will teach the local technician by your words and try to reinstall the pump two days later.
I'll keep updating....
Thank you again....
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

Don, today my forza finally fixed. the oil lead problem was solved! thank you again.
I told the mechanic your experience. He didn't do all by your words. He just be very careful and put some black sealant on the O-ring. Succeed in the second try. There is no leak anymore.