Fuel Pump recall replacemeent...caution

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Fuel Pump recall replacemeent...caution

Post by SteveP »

The weather finally warmed up enough that I could ride my Forza to the dealer to get the fuel pump recall taken care of. Got it back today and was about 1/4 the way home when I looked down and noticed the fuel gauge was indicating empty! I'd brought it in almost full, so they apparently forgot to refill my tank. No big deal, I stopped and put in a couple gallons. Rode the rest of the way home w/o any problems. Parked the scooter and was preparing to hang up my gear when I noticed the smell of gasoline! Sure enough, fuel was dripping from the bottom of the Forza! Didn't seem to be leaking when the motor was running, just when sitting there with it off. Returned it to dealer to correct the new problem.

The warning here is to be sure that the fuel tank is full before leaving the dealer after having the fuel pump replaced, to help insure no leak was created during the replacement. Had the dealer filled my tank back up after replacing the pump (with the fuel I had in it to begin with), they would likey have discovered the leak themselves.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Fuel Pump recall replacemeent...caution

Post by glencoeman »

When I had mine done, the mechanic said that he had a lot of trouble sealing the fuel tank.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

From a mechanics perspective, someone who brings a scooter in for areplaement fuel pump with a tank full of fuelisn't goingto be high up on their christmas card list.....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

gn2 wrote:From a mechanics perspective, someone who brings a scooter in for areplaement fuel pump with a tank full of fuelisn't goingto be high up on their christmas card list.....
That's ok...the mechanics not high on my list either....it would seem easy for him to use the pump (or a separate one) to first empty the tank into a container, then pour the fuel back into the tank once repair is done. Surely they must be set up for this. It's also hard to ride it very far with an empty tank.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

I had my fuel pump replaced under warranty last friday. Went in with half a tank and came home with a full tank. It did take them 4 hours. At least it was 4 hours when they called to tell me it was done.
I asked about the seat piston while I was there. They said they could replace it under warranty since my bike was new but it would be the same piston model as Honda has not yet issued a recall on them yet.
I will live with it till they get the problem figured out.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

I took the scooter back in...same day I picked it up and fond the leak when I got home. @ days later I got it back...no leak noticeable under it...they said problem was seal swelling from fuel contact before it was seated. ??? Okay...rode it home...no problem (this time they refilled the tank with fuel). Next day...no leak...and a nice 30+ mile ride. 2nd day (Sunday morning)...gasoline puddle under scooter!! So back to dealer this week. This all reminds me of the old saying..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". My original pump had been working fine for 4800 miles.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

SteveP - do you have another dealer near you? Doesn't sound like the one you are with are that good.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

iceman wrote:SteveP - do you have another dealer near you? Doesn't sound like the one you are with are that good.
There is another one, but this is the one I bought the Forza from. If they don't fix it this time I'll do it myself. I've got the service manual and it doesn't look like to bad a job to get to the pump and seal. On a positive note, this leak is a lot less then before.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

SteveP wrote:
iceman wrote:SteveP - do you have another dealer near you? Doesn't sound like the one you are with are that good.
There is another one, but this is the one I bought the Forza from. If they don't fix it this time I'll do it myself. I've got the service manual and it doesn't look like to bad a job to get to the pump and seal. On a positive note, this leak is a lot less then before.
Now it's also a safety concern with fuel blowing all over the hot exaust and engine (6" away ) when driving . That's what mine was doing ! So I took it apart ,I'm waiting for a new o ring and dust seal as the old one that the dealer put in wasn't install properly. I wouldn't drive it with a leaking gas tank.
Don