Final Drive Oil

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Final Drive Oil

Post by DioTiAma »

Any idea which kind and how much? Is it the same like mechanics use in the SH300i (0.28L, API SG or higher, 10W-30 & JASO MA)?
Attachments
Final Drive Oil.png
Final Drive Oil.png (35.44 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Re: Final Drive Oil

Post by BRed »

Mine says HP4M 4-stroke motor oil or equivalent.....
same spec as your pic shows.

on how much, it says pour oil in the filler hole until it comes out the check hole.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Final Drive Oil

Post by DioTiAma »

Are you strict with that? Even with the engine oil? On the 1000km change, i used for 6000km the Valvoline SynPower Scooter 4T 5W40 (API SJ, JASO: MA, MA-2) and then changed it (planning to keep it this way) to Castrol Act>evo 4T 5W40 (API SJ, JASO: MA-2). Probably i'm going to use the same one for the final drive (the amount is 0,28L).
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

It seems unusual but it's really not....
the Big Ruckus manual specifies either HP4M (I think that means w/molybdenum?) OR #90W gear oil for it's final drive.

The URAL uses motor oil in its crankcase and separate 4-spd transmission (but it uses gear oil in it's final drive).
Go figure..... :roll:
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Final Drive Oil

Post by DioTiAma »

BRed, when you say "mine" you mean in the service manual of Honda Forza 300? The part of picture i've posted comes from SH300i service manual. Anyway, JASO: MA-2 for the engine (low friction) and JASO: MA (higher friction) for the final drive as i can tell...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Uses the same oil that goes in the engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Final Drive Oil

Post by DioTiAma »

GN2, the engine oil is has to be SAE 10W-30, API SG or higher & JASO T 903 MB. The final drive oil has to be SAE 10W-30, API SG or higher & JASO T 903 MA.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Isn't the clutch dry on the Forza (like the PCX) so MA oil will work for both?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Because the Forza and PCX have a dry centrifugal clutch it makes no odds whether you use MA or MB in either the engine or final drive.
Just use the cheapest 10w30 you can find.
Make sure its the slippy stuff, sticky is no good.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Two things I don't understand: 1) Why drain water spins a different way below the equator.
2) Why folks lose the plot when reading the oil specs in the scooter owner's manual.

IMHO, that dress is white with gold stripes....and you use PRO HONDA HP4M 10W-30 in the engine and the final drive. Are there places on this planet that sell this scooter, but not the companion oil?
Strange.....
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Two things I don't understand: 1) Why drain water spins a different way below the equator.
2) Why folks lose the plot when reading the oil specs in the scooter owner's manual.

IMHO, that dress is white with gold stripes....and you use PRO HONDA HP4M 10W-30 in the engine and the final drive. Are there places on this planet that sell this scooter, but not the companion oil?
Strange.....
Fish
For the first I presume you have googled but still can't understand, for the second it's just a 10-30 oil.

You're not that strange.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The water spinny thing is a myth, it can go either way either side of the equator.
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

The viscosity of 90 weight gear oil at Standard Temperature overlaps the viscosity of straight 40 weight motor oil.
Gear oil and motor oil use different scales. Straight 40 motor oil is very thick when cold.
multiweight oil appears thinner in the container, but the viscosity does not change as much when it rises to operating temp.
The 10-30 in that final drive is probably as thick as straight 90 gear oil, when both of them are 100-150 F.