How-To: Gear Oil Change & Belt Filter Clean

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your Forza. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

How-To: Gear Oil Change & Belt Filter Clean

Post by fish »

The Forza is different than my other scooter.
My LIKE200i has 2 plugs, a drain plug and a fill plug when changing the gear oil.(plus it uses heavy wt gear oil, not motor oil like the Forza)
This Forza has 3 plugs; a drain plug, a fill plug and a "check" plug.
I also removed the belt cover cleaner filter and the left crankcase outer cover. Manual says to remove the latter - but I've been at all 3 of those plugs without doing so.
I do not have a ratcheting 12mm box wrench to undo the fill plug - so I used a couple extensions to reach that plug - with the ratchet handle working above the tire. It is tight in there for that one plug.
I drained the old oil (280ml came out) oil and replaced with a like amount of the specified HP4M Honda oil, using a squeeze bottle and some small model airplane fuel line, until the oil dripped from the "check" hole. This takes some patience.

All the plastic parts and the filter went into the sink with some Dawn detergent - dried and used some Honda wax/cleaner on everything but the foam filter.

There was some crud on the tip of the "check" plug that I wiped on a paper towel - looked like a few small flecks of metal. This was the first gear oil change for this scooter. The foam filter showed clearly that I rarely ride through the underbrush - or squirrels.

@@**A caution - please note the 3 gear oil plugs on the Forza. DO NOT drain from the "Check" plug (thinking it is the drain plug) while filling to the brim of the fill plug! Make certain you have located all three plugs and understand their fuction. The drain plug is not visible unless you look way under the gear case.**@@

YOU'LL FIND PHOTOS FURTHER DOWN THIS PAGE
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: How-To: Gear Oil Change & Belt Filter Clean

Post by you you »

Quite a bit of swarf there

Same on the pcx

Better out than in?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Nice pictorial - I will definitely do this when I get a few more miles on the Forza. I will do the PCX now. A good winter item. Cooler weather is coming back soon according to the forecast. We got used to the warm temps for nearly a week.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Ok. Reviving an old thread.
Have a slight concern and would appreciate advice/comment.
Renewed my Forza 300 transmission/final drive oil all as per manual and indeed in accordance with this post. However when refilling to the point where the new oil flows out of the check bolt hole i have put in much more oil than mentioned in manual or in this post.!! I have read that a problem can arise if putting too much oil into a transmission...frothing etc which can cause damage to transmission parts.
Now I am assuming that by filling until running out of check bolt hole that it's not possible to overfill the Forza transmission....so my seemingly daft question is....am I correct?
And any ideas as to why my refill took more than stated in manual?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Several possibilities. The book is wrong? You read the book wrong (I am dyslexic). You measured wrong. You did the oil change on a really cold day and oil was still draining when you put the check plug back in.

It's a Honda scooter, don't worry about it. 96,000 km on mine.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Thanks...and ok..I will take out the check bolt and see if oil runs out
The service book says same as owners manual 're amount so no error there...and my measure was as from the oil bottle with measures on side...so I know I put more in than service book says..was very cold yesterday but oil was closing freely...will see after taking off check bolt
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Sorry...should say...flowing freely.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dergav wrote:Sorry...should say...flowing freely..
Hello,
I posted this DIY 4 years ago. After reading your concern I went back and checked the Honda service manual to see if I'd made an error.

Yes, that is the correct amount of oil to return to the proper level. .28L for a oil change / .30L after a rebuild.

Scooter on center stand - oil added until it flows from the over-flow hole - then you are finished. Full stop.

Fill until it starts draining. Brew a nice cup of coffee - maybe watch a little football. Go back to scooter and replace the two plugs.
(On some scooters the fill hole IS the check/level hole - NOT on this Honda)
A little Honda spray wax to pretty things up until spring time. I miss that Red scooter! (traded up to a Burgman 400 - a mistake!)
Fish
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Thanks for response...that's exactly as I read in manual...filling till flowing out check bolt I must have used just over 0.4 ltr ! From the measure on side of oil bottle
Anyway it would seem that if you fill till it stops running out check bolt you cannot have overfilled so just need to accept the position and move on.

This scoot is 4yrs old ...I have had from new...and I just cannot imagine a better bike for my purpose...Have looked at the new version and it is nice with some improvements but I have no wish to change mine.
Planning two Scottish trips to isles of Skye and Mull and Ardnamurchan peninsula when weather warms up
Thanks again
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice! Thank you fish! Your Four Year Old thread will be making a move over to the Forza How-To board where it will be easily found and mucho appreciated ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dembones
Year: 2015 Forza
Color: 2016 PCX

Post by dembones »

Unfortunately, pics are no longer showing. :|
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

I had no idea about the check plug, I wish we could see the photos again too...

When I took mine to a local mechanic (non-Honda) to change the gear oil, he had no idea either, just opened the drain, and put 2 x 120ml oil from those Motul 80w90 squeezable tube ones, I had to insist adding some more from a third one, but no idea how much went in. I still have the rest in third tube, he put a screw on it as a lid, so I can keep it - for 2 years ...!

That was a few months and 4000km ago, but I guess can open the check plug and adjust.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Uh ohhh
Shout out to member fish - what happened to your photos camera man?
This how-to went bust.
Tears will fall :ugeek: folks need help. Can you, will you? :D
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

WhiteNoise wrote:Uh ohhh
Shout out to member fish - what happened to your photos camera man?
This how-to went bust.
Tears will fall :ugeek: folks need help. Can you, will you? :D
Yeah, tinypic went belley-up and took a lot of my older pix.
I just looked at the factory service manual, which I kept.... the photos there are small.

Basically you locate the 3 plugs in the gear case after removing the big plastic cover.
Top plug is where you add the oil, middle plug is the proper level for the oil - in other words fill at top hole until it drains from this middle plug.
Very, very bottom plug is used to drain all the oil.....manual says to slowly rotate the wheel while doing this.

To Service The Gear Oil:
Use "Pro Honda HP4M" oil
Find the 3 oil plugs
Drain from bottom hole - replace this plug.
Fill at top hole until oil flows from middle hole
Don't get the plugs mixed up!
The drain plug is not visible unless you look way under the gear case
Fish
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

paint the tops of the bolts/drain plugs with different coloured paint then write this up in your owners manual...Makes life easier to remember which is which :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

I searched the web, funny enough not a single photo or video of these plugs I could find, maybe you guys have better luck....
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Found some of my original pix (on the web!) from the gear oil change of my 2014 NSS300 FORZA.

hope this helps
Fish

PS: IF I still owned a Forza - I'd buy the cyclepedia manual for it!
https://www.cyclepedia.com/amember4/car ... ?q=CPP-288
Austins
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Austins »

Thanks a lot Fish, that's very clear...

I'm surprised the check plug seems to be so low down, but I guess it has a long nut to make up for it.

The guy who did mine opened the bottom shock nut and moved it out of the way to get to the fill plug....
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Thank you fish! I tip my hat to you :P
Brava210
Year: 2016
Color: white

Post by Brava210 »

can you use any 10w30 oil?
It seems difficult to source the Honda stuff