belt case air cleaner (filter)

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

belt case air cleaner (filter)

Post by fish »

The book says to "wash the element in non-flammable or high flash point solvent."
Dawn dish detergent fits this description, yes?
I'm not in there yet but it looks like it is a foam filter....so wanting to get the proper solvent in hand - beforehand. ?
So far, haven't screwed up any servicing on this scooter.....but, "early days, yet"
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: belt case air cleaner (filter)

Post by SECoda »

Soap isn't strong enough - get a spray cleaner made for foam air filters. I used K&N's cleaner for my airplane filters but any of them are better than soap and water.

http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools ... er-cleaner
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:The book says to "wash the element in non-flammable or high flash point solvent."
Dawn dish detergent fits this description, yes?
I'm not in there yet but it looks like it is a foam filter....so wanting to get the proper solvent in hand - beforehand. ?
So far, haven't screwed up any servicing on this scooter.....but, "early days, yet"
Fish

Fairy liquid isn't a high flash point solvent.

Unless your visiting Honda technician says it is I suppose...
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

High flash point is good in this case. :P Actually, odorless mineral oil has a high flash point but I would still use a commercial foam air filter cleaner they sell at any auto parts store.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Many of the videos I just looked at said don't clean it (any foam filter) - always replace it with new. o_O It's not following the manual but I think it will be OK.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

keep in mind the air flowing through this foam element is just for cooling the drive belt and is not for combustion...
you'll find it to be one of the most flimsy, porous pieces of foam to ever be described as a "filter".
It's mostly for catching leaves, twigs and insects, etc., and that's what you find in there every time you open it.

So, yeah.....a dip in soapy water, a quick rinse and a good squeeze and you're good to go! :)

you don't want to over prep this "filter" unless you really like replacing the drive belt.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

BRed wrote:keep in mind the air flowing through this foam element is just for cooling the drive belt and is not for combustion...
you'll find it to be one of the most flimsy, porous pieces of foam to ever be described as a "filter".
It's mostly for catching leaves, twigs and insects, etc., and that's what you find in there every time you open it.

So, yeah.....a dip in soapy water, a quick rinse and a good squeeze and you're good to go! :)

you don't want to over prep this "filter" unless you really like replacing the drive belt.

Thanks BRed,
Yeah, I saw what you meant. It's in the rinse cycle (of the pancake mix bowl) while I renew the drive line oil. When weather is stopping me from riding this scooter - I like to be doing something good to it. Fortunately my Kymco is a lot more accessable, if not necessarily more needy.
(we need to keep you on a retainer ~!)
Again, thanks
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:When weather is stopping me from riding this scooter - I like to be doing something good to it.
Best to leave it alone and don't fiddle with it.
The reason it has an 8,000 mile service interval is because it doesn't need to be fiddled with.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

1. Clear any obvious debri from it
2. Remove it and take it into the bath with you
3. Ignore it and get on with your life