tools for PCX valve adjustment...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

tools for PCX valve adjustment...

Post by homie »

Gathering the special tools and manual to tear down the PCX150. I see the link to a 2015 service manual thank you. Stopped in at Harbor Freight for a 5 piece plastic trim removal set and a new feeler gauge. So what other un-common tools will I need to have handy for this work?

I intend to bust loose the axel bolts and remove the wheels for powder coat and Michelins since I have to engage in this manual labor to satisfy my own neritic insecurities anyway. I assume a torque wrench and maybe an impact tool for my air compressor would come in to play messing with the rear wheel nut.

I will be happy to document the experience or photograph any widget you are curious about on the 2015 inner workings. If not then I will just get her done 8)
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Re: tools for PCX valve adjustment...

Post by MikeP »

Hi homie, I have done a fair bit of work on bikes and quads, and I can say on of the best tools I have used is a torque wrench. it has saved me from breaking lots of bolts. I use both inch pounds for small stuff and ft lbs for the bigger stuff. Would recommend buying mechanic grade. It will pay off years down the road.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

You will need some sort of appropriate medication to give you the Job-like patience to remove every piece of plastic off of your scooter ,and any nearby PCX of the same color, before you will even get a glimpse of the valve cover ....then you.will need to rent a small and cooperative Asian brown striped monkey named Bruce to do the actual wrenching for you. Honda uses these little guys to assemble these bits on the line. Everyone of them is named Bruce...go figure that one out.
Or, you could do what most PCX owners seem to do: convince each other that these scoots never need valve adjustment.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Gathering the special tools and manual to tear down the PCX150. I see the link to a 2015 service manual thank you. Stopped in at Harbor Freight for a 5 piece plastic trim removal set and a new feeler gauge. So what other un-common tools will I need to have handy for this work?

I intend to bust loose the axel bolts and remove the wheels for powder coat and Michelins since I have to engage in this manual labor to satisfy my own neritic insecurities anyway. I assume a torque wrench and maybe an impact tool for my air compressor would come in to play messing with the rear wheel nut.

I will be happy to document the experience or photograph any widget you are curious about on the 2015 inner workings. If not then I will just get her done 8)

I've bought the same tools but to be honest have never used them. The plastics nearly always come apart easily, but for me I always forget a screw or clip and break at least one thing. Generally unimportant or easily fixed. Are you going to post pictures?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:I've bought the same tools but to be honest have never used them. The plastics nearly always come apart easily, but for me I always forget a screw or clip and break at least one thing. Generally unimportant or easily fixed. Are you going to post pictures?
I will photograph each stage of the 2015 panel removal and make notes of anything particularly difficult along the way. I will make random vids and report actual out of tolerance measurements prior to the valve adjustment. This will be my first time doing anything like this and some can do this in hours, I will probably take days to be careful and meticulous.

I find it hard to believe every single plastic will need to be removed for a valve check but I haven't seen the 2015 service manual yet, there's a chance that my tear down images won't display a totally naked 2015 PCX.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to your pics and/or vids. At some point I will do the work myself, but it still feels so new that I don't want to screw it up. OTOH, the cost to have the man do the service every 2500 miles brings the cost per mile to well above my car despite the 100 mpg milage.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GeorgeSK wrote:Well, I'm certainly looking forward to your pics and/or vids. At some point I will do the work myself, but it still feels so new that I don't want to screw it up. OTOH, the cost to have the man do the service every 2500 miles brings the cost per mile to well above my car despite the 100 mpg milage.
George there are tutorials in this forum and on YouTube (I think) for 2013 already, you need not wait for this 2015 walk through. Thanks for the confidence, I don't want to screw it up either. I informed my dealer that I was going to make this happen for myself and it was nothing personal. He said he had my back at any point and thought anyone could do it... just not in 3 hours.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I'm looking forward to them too. I know people have contrbuted great tutorials and videos for past models, and I have a manual, but it's always good to learn from others with the same model. Actually, always great to see new posts of tech things on this site.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"Dim All The Lights"....
I booked a front row seat, ordered me favorite popcorn, tall Pepsi, milk duds and I'm ready for showtime! :P
Let us know when the curtain goes up, heh homie ;)
Will we be viewing the tear down from the Technical "How-To" side of town? That's what I'm thinking.
Cool, I'll be there!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Never liked the rear plastic on my PCX too wide
or the flat foot boards
going to try something similar to Dasshreddar- incorporating after market seat -PCX- with stock under storage
with bolt on foot pegs
if all works should be able to sit on my bike without splaying and have good access for service
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:"Dim All The Lights"....
I booked a front row seat, ordered me favorite popcorn, tall Pepsi, milk duds and I'm ready for showtime! :P
Let us know when the curtain goes up, heh homie ;)
Will we be viewing the tear down from the Technical "How-To" side of town? That's what I'm thinking.
Cool, I'll be there!

What are milk duds?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Haha...milk duds? Candy (see pic). Back in the day, when we went to the big screen theatre, our parents would buy us buttered popcorn. But then we needed something sweet. So favorite choices were Charleston Chews, Raisinets, or Milk Duds. Soda pop to wash it all down. Usually a Pepsi or Orange drink. Belly ache came later (ah...not "always" later :oops: ) Parents gave us away then :lol: :lol:

Below photo shows "trick or treat" portion :D Goblins are on their way (Clowns too :o )
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You