Can switch housing be rotated?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Can switch housing be rotated?

Post by fish »

Have read a couple of complaints about the switch position on the Forza....I agree.
I keep getting the turn signal switch when I'm quickly after the horn button.
I tried to loosen the two phillips screws under the left switch housing to rotate the whole enchilada down - to get the horn button in a better ergonomic position for my thumb. I can loosen the screws, but the housing does not seem to want to rotate....and I don't want to force anything.
Has anyone been able to move the housing? Is the housing more than a clam-shell....clamped on the bar by the 2 screws?
Thanks,
Fish
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Re: Can switch housing be rotated?

Post by BRed »

On most Hondas, the switch housing has an alignment pin into the handlebars that limits rotation.
This is only apparent when you completely remove the housing.

The lever perch is usually easy to rotate, within the limits of the hydraulic lines.

In extreme cases of handlebar repositioning, I've used a dremel to slightly elongate the hole in the handlebars to allow the switch housing to rotate a few more degrees. If you plan on rotating it much, it might be better to drill a new hole.

Remember the right side also contains the throttle boss.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

BRed wrote:On most Hondas, the switch housing has an alignment pin into the handlebars that limits rotation.
This is only apparent when you completely remove the housing.

The lever perch is usually easy to rotate, within the limits of the hydraulic lines.

In extreme cases of handlebar repositioning, I've used a dremel to slightly elongate the hole in the handlebars to allow the switch housing to rotate a few more degrees. If you plan on rotating it much, it might be better to drill a new hole.

Remember the right side also contains the throttle boss.
Thanks, I thought there must be something like that going on.....when I did get the housing to move, could not get it right when trying to tighten the screws. So, put it back...and will start training myself to find the horn in a hurry!
Thanks, much.....could not spot anything in a photo of that bar end....still wondered if there was something there. Learned my lesson about completely opening scooter switches when I removed, opened and cleaned the kill switich on my Kymco. A LOT of little parts in those switches!
Yes, have re-set the levers with no issues - not straining the lines. But rolling the bar up also took that horn button up where it is awkaward for my thumb when I need it!
The right side is not an issue....nothing I need there (if I do a high side dismount at my age I'll be letting the EMS find and activate the kill switch. I'll have bigger worries.)
You remain a great source of info !!
Thanks again, ride safe.
Fish
Beboman
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by Beboman »

Anyone.... is the alignment hole for the housing threaded?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can't help you on this problem, but i wanted to comment that the pcx seems to have the same problem. Everytime i want to hit the horn i end up hitting the turn signal. I am use to the horn being on the bottom. That was also how my Burgman was set up....horn on the bottom.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Beboman wrote:Anyone.... is the alignment hole for the housing threaded?
not on any that I've seen...
there's a projection on the bottom of the housing that aligns with the hole in the handlebar to stop rotation or movement.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

BRed wrote:
Beboman wrote:Anyone.... is the alignment hole for the housing threaded?
not on any that I've seen...
there's a projection on the bottom of the housing that aligns with the hole in the handlebar to stop rotation or movement.

It's a pin that fits into a hole in the handlebar

File off the pin or elongate the hole if you feel it is necessary to rotate the housing
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:I keep getting the turn signal switch when I'm quickly after the horn button.
If you need to use the horn, brake instead.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Don't worry about it - the next bike or power sport will be different anyway. Going back and forth from manual 6 speed to CVT is a bigger deal. The clutch becomes a brake handle. At least the scooters aren't changing. :ugeek:

I know a guy who ferries used airplanes that are for sale. He goes there - reads the manual a few minutes - then takes off and flies it home. He said he has flown over 50 different kinds of aircraft like that. Sometimes he just has to hunt for stuff in the air because he is under the gun on time. He says the controls on some planes just don't make sense. o_O
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930