NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

robisc

NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Post by robisc »

Hello,
i'm the administrator of italian forum about Honda Forza (versions 2005,2008 and 2013). The URL of our forum is: http://hondaforza.forumcommunity.net.

Some users, owners of a NSS300 have reported a problem in Fuel Pump. After different distances (from 2000 to 6000 km) he pump is broken while the scooter was going. They are very angry because Honda Italia said the replacement pump was not available neither in Italy, neither in European logistic centre. Some of them are still waiting the replacement, maybe for first week of August.

In our forum 7 (seven) users had the problem. Thinking thay in Italy there are not more 3000 NSS300, it means a considerable percentage.

We would like to know if someone, outside Italy, have had the same problem. For what we know all NSS300 in the world are built in Thailand, so we think are perfectly equal.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Post by gn2 »

Yours is the first report of a Forza fuel pump problem on this forum.
Have you been able to find out which fuel pump Honda use, is it used in other vehicles, have they had similar failures?
Could it be a fuel quality problem?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
robisc

Post by robisc »

We thought also a fuel quality problem, but the pumps breaks occurred in different cities of Italy, with different distances traveled, in scooters sold from June 2013 to April 2014.

If u see in this site: http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... /fuel-tank you can see the pump no. 16700-K04-931 was replaced with the one no. 16700-K04-305: this sounds a little strange: maybe the first one was suffering by the problem.

However, we are happy nobody in your country seems to be suffering by this issue.

Greetings.

Robert
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Although the cities are distant the fuel stations could be served from the same refinery?
e.g. nearly every fuel station in Scotland is served from Grangemouth.

The Forza launch in the UK and the US was delayed, hopefully we all got the new pump.
There have been a few other fuel pump failures, Vespas had a spate of it and new Yamaha Tmax pumps are routinely replaced free even after the warranty has expired.

Not good that your Italian forum members have to wait for pumps, maybe you could do a group order from the USA or Thailand?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
robisc

Post by robisc »

About fuel i think is not possible all stations are served from same refinery, but i cannot exclude.. I also thought the problem was confined in scooters sold in the first (1st half of 2013), but two of our members bought the NSS300 in first quarter of 2014.

About the possibility to buy pump fuel abroad, is not possible, because all scooters are under warranty (4 years of warranty in Italy), so Honda Italia must repair without any expense.

What we suspect is that Honda has made a different fuel pump and wait the delivery in Europe.
We have informed the magazines of motorcycles and scooters about the issue and we are waiting news from Honda Italia.

Robert.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

<two of our members bought the NSS300 in first quarter of 2014> could these have been old stock?
robisc

Post by robisc »

iceman wrote:<two of our members bought the NSS300 in first quarter of 2014> could these have been old stock?
This can be possible. But who knows ?

Here a report of issues: (date of purchase, date of issue, tot. km )

user1: 09/2013 30/06/2014 9000
user2: 09/2013 07/2014 unknow
user3: 10/2013 14/06/2014 9000
user4: 12/2013 10/06/2014 3820
user5: 04/2014 30/06/2014 1500
user6: 04/2014 22/07/2014 3000

All used the scooter in mix mode (highway, roads, city), but none with high speeds.

We'll inform you if Honda Italia will answer to our questions (but i doubt a bit....)

Greetings from Italy

Robert
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Although the cities are distant the fuel stations could be served from the same refinery?
e.g. nearly every fuel station in Scotland is served from Grangemouth.

The Forza launch in the UK and the US was delayed, hopefully we all got the new pump.
There have been a few other fuel pump failures, Vespas had a spate of it and new Yamaha Tmax pumps are routinely replaced free even after the warranty has expired.

Not good that your Italian forum members have to wait for pumps, maybe you could do a group order from the USA or Thailand?

Grangemouth? Due to be closed in October :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You better let David Cameron know about that before he signs a big cheque....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/business/b ... 0m-3873177
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You better let David Cameron know about that before he signs a big cheque....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/business/b ... 0m-3873177

What's the difference between a politicians guarantee and a cheque? Wouldn't trust either :D
DaveNSS

Post by DaveNSS »

My fuel pump failed about 25 minutes ago.

My bike is 2 weeks old today. Not happy.

Waiting for AA recovery now. (Honda Assist)
DaveNSS

Post by DaveNSS »

AA report 'fuel program fault", whatever that may mean....

It's being recovered to Chiswick Honda now. Not impressed.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

Sorry to hear that Dave...good luck and I hope you get your scoot back soon.

that puts this thread in a whole new demographic?

And reading Khan's DEAD FORZA thread.....
the shop said spark plug failure, but that incident sounded suspiciously like a fuel delivery problem to me.

A fuel injection system should not foul a spark plug in 2 minutes of idling.....
maybe a fat jetted carb on an air-cooled engine might.

This will all be playing out in the back of my mind while I'm rolling 75mph down the Interstate with a pack of 18 wheelers all around.
DaveNSS

Post by DaveNSS »

Mine was idling for no longer than 20 seconds at most. I'd literally just started the engine, closed the seat, put my first glove on and it died.
Then it would turn over, so that battery wasn't flat, but there was no 'whirr' of the fuel pump being primed when the ignition was switched on.

The AA recovery guy came up with "Fuel Program Failure", but that could be anything, even related to the HISS imobiliser.

The most annoying part - Honda Chiswick called me around 2pm and said "the workshop is full, the earliest we'll be able to look at your bike will be around the 20th"

That's unacceptable for a brand new bike with less than 80 miles on the clock. Their attitude wasn't great either.

The scooter has now gone back to Doble Motorcycles, the supplying Honda dealer. They're looking at it tomorrow.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Looking at reviews of dealers in or around London, Honda Chiswick don't do well! i.e. http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews124319.html
Other dealers sometimes are not much better, but HC seem fairly bad compared to most on review sites.
Honda Chiswick and others were not great in answering questions pre-purchase of my PCX and never got back to me about a service manual, whilst Doble are the only ones who replied and advised me it's on the books at £36 but waiting to come out at present. Ian has always been very helpful via email even when I was not a direct customer.
DaveNSS

Post by DaveNSS »

Ian is my salesman too. Can't fault the guy, he works hard for his money. They're a very, very good dealer. So far.
DaveNSS

Post by DaveNSS »

Dealer reports a definite fuel pump failure; new one due in stock next week Wednesday.

Not too impressed right now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DaveNSS wrote:Dealer reports a definite fuel pump failure; new one due in stock next week Wednesday.

Get a PCX in the meantime?
DaveNSS

Post by DaveNSS »

you you wrote:
DaveNSS wrote:Dealer reports a definite fuel pump failure; new one due in stock next week Wednesday.

Get a PCX in the meantime?
Yeah...that's helpful!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Shit happens. Mechanical things fail sometimes. As long as it's a reliable fix then job done