NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: NSS300 Fuel Pump problems

Post by iceman »

SECoda wrote:"This particular component is produced by Thai Summit Mtisuba, and it was actually the component producer who brought the potential problem to Honda’s attention in June of this year."
A few weeks before this thread started and probably the same time as some owners reported problems to their dealers.
Forza360
Year: 2014
Color: RED

Post by Forza360 »

Unfortunately this is my first post to report my near death experience with the fuel pump failure.
Model: ABS
VIN:MLHNF0418E5xxxx35
Mileage: 809 miles
State: California
I was on the freeway doing 85mph passing cars on a 4 lane freeway (US 101) south of San Jose, CA, the scooter lost power right when I passed a car from the car pool lane (fast lane). I nearly got clobbered from the car I just passed and the two other cars I cut off to limp off to the shoulder. I never received a recall notice about the fuel pump. I read about it on this forum the day the incident happened. I dropped it off to the dealership yesterday.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

I think most of us knew it would inevitably happen sooner or later....

We're glad you survived it!

can you confirm a 10/13 assembly date? (these are on the VIN sticker)

As far as we know, every Forza with a confirmed fuel pump failure came from that lot, even though the recall affects the total production run for 2013.

Riders of Forzas with a 10/13 assembly code should expedite their recall/warranty work for the pump ASAP....
those with other assembly dates should take the time to find a dealership that understands scooters or use those that have successfully completed the fuel pump replacement without drama or damage.
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by Daguang »

My forza's fuel pump failure happened half month ago, with approx. 4500 KM.
About 20 meters I just ride, the engine stopped suddenly. I felt very lucky for it was not happen on highway like Forza360 met.
I didn't know this problem before and it took long time to make sure the fuel pump is dead especially this happened I just change the machine oil filter...
furthermore, I can only buy a new one from internet in China. There is no dealer and no recall at all in Beijing.
again, the mechanics didn't reinstall the new pump properly. I found gas leak when riding on highway... hope the mechanics didn't lost any oil rings or other small parts....
Two days later I will go to see the mechanics again.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Branyers14 »

Just made a deal with my local dealer. They're trading me a 2014 Forza for $1000 with my PCX150 as a trade-in. Stellar deal I thought.

They are replacing the pump before they let it roll off the floor. Who knows if they would have even offered had I not said anything.
Bigboss242

Post by Bigboss242 »

Yea got to watch out for deals selling vehicles post recall that might not have the parts replaced. They don't care as long as they make a sale.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Bigboss242 wrote:Yea got to watch out for deals selling vehicles post recall that might not have the parts replaced. They don't care as long as they make a sale.
Honda tracks new owners of the scooter, and will contact re. the recall work
Honda can only do this if owners follow proper registration procedures.
Fish.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Branyers14 wrote:Just made a deal with my local dealer. They're trading me a 2014 Forza for $1000 with my PCX150 as a trade-in. Stellar deal I thought.

They are replacing the pump before they let it roll off the floor. Who knows if they would have even offered had I not said anything.

It's to their advantage, they get the warranty/recall work.
flavioguy

Post by flavioguy »

Do these problems affect the NON ABS model also?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Check your VIN on the Honda web site.
Fish
flavioguy

Post by flavioguy »

Thanks Fish!!
BigAlbi
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by BigAlbi »

Just received the recall for the Fuel Pump inlet cover swelling here in the UK. The dealer's are going to be busy as it affects not just the NSS 300 but also SH125,MSX125,and ANC125 of various year of manufacture.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Just had my recall letter from Honda uk.for my sh 125,and also for my last sh 125.thats 2 now,and yet my Honda vision 110i,just keeps rolling a long.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

The letter from Honda came last week (here in Canada). The dealer let me do the job myself, and bring
him back the old one (from the first recall). The scooter was still working as new with 12500km on
that pump, and there was no visual evidence of defect on it, compared to the new one. Some people
say ethanol is responsible for the damage done to the pumps...could that be the case in Europe ???
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

My local shop has the replacement pump in stock here in the Deep South of the US of A, so I dropped the Forza off today. They are closed on Sunday and Monday, so I probably won't have it back until Wednesday after work.

Here's hoping!
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My last recall for the brakes took all day for the mechanic to do. A lot of the day was spent gluing the plastics back together after breaking them while taking them off.

I changed a rear light bulb and broke off a tiny plastic tab. I changed the low windshield to a high windshield and broke off a tiny plastic tab. Plastic gets brittle as it gets older. The future is not good for my Honda Forza.

Good luck.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

The reason I wanted to do the job myself is exactly that: fear of having the f...ing plastics messed up.
Even a good mechanic (not familiar with the model) can screw them easily.

I have 'modified' mine so that the plastics are easier to remove/install (lots of grinding, filing implied).

Is Honda listening to the 'plastics' complaints? Not likely...

I can think of ten ways to make them simpler, sturdier...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

aguim wrote:Some people say ethanol is responsible for the damage done to the pumps...could that be the case in Europe ???
imo the root problem is the pump not being manufactured (by Chinese company?) to therequired specifications.

Honda claim their vehicles are designed for use with up to 10% ethanol, so in theory the pump components should not be affected by it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Well, I got the scooter back tonight. It now has its third fuel pump. But it hasn't failed me while I was riding it yet.

The wife's car (also a Honda) goes to a different shop in a week for three recalls. The auto shop for Honda has an employee who does nothing but manage recalls.

How the mighty have fallen.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
RonK
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by RonK »

Just had the letter today for the recall on my 65 plate Forza 300 ref the fuel pump. Ive never had a fuel problem and its on 5960 miles in less than a year.