squeaky brakes after replacing back tire

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

sean

squeaky brakes after replacing back tire

Post by sean »

I had my back tire replaced yesterday. Also, I had a 4000 mile service. They told me they had to clear a lot of dust out of the brakes. They warned me that the brakes were now squeaking as a result of the dust but the performance would not be effected. I noticed right away the bike was squeaking even pushing the bike with the engine off. Riding it slowly the bike squeaks fairly loudly. Riding fast, I don't notice it. Has anyone experienced this? Is there something I can do? Is this something the dealer should fix? I won't contact them until Monday. I'm hoping the squeak will go away on its own.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: squeaky brakes after replacing back tire

Post by Alibally »

Hello. The brakes shouldn't really squeak until they are applied. If they are noisy just pushing the bike then they may be over adjusted. Or it's something else that's making the noise.
When the wheel is removed to do the tyre the brake adjuster probably would have been adjusted. What you could try is to back off the adjuster a turn or two and try it. If it makes no difference then screw it back to were it was.

Let us know how you get on.

By the way the adjuster is at the back wheel with the cable attached to it if you didn't know..:)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife's PCX brakes squeak when she applies them now also. Maybe that is standard. Mine don't squeak though I just had the rear tire changed, although I only have 1400 miles on my bike while she is pushing 9,500 mile. It would be worthwhile to find out if this is really normal. If backing off of the brake doesn't solve the problem, please let us know what the dealer says.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks Alibally. The brake adjuster does make a difference in the sound level. I have the squeak down to almost nothing. I think if I play around with it a little I can completely eliminate it. I'm concerned with the service I got now knowing what a simple fix it is. How could they send it out knowing it still needed to be tweaked?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

You just need to make sure it's not adjusted too far back. If I get a minute I will look out the adjustment instructions. If you search the forum I'm sure it's on here somewhere.
sean

Post by sean »

How do I know it's not too far back? If it's loose enough to adjust by hand won't the vibrations of riding constantly change the position of the adjuster?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

There is a notch in it so it doesn't wind back . The spring pressure on the cable keeps it in the notch.

See. http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=1862
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks for all the help.