Brakes/Front Grill/Bleeder

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

bpmch02

Brakes/Front Grill/Bleeder

Post by bpmch02 »

Hello all...a few more technical questions here just to set my mind at ease.

I have been running the bike up to 600 miles for the last week and am now ready for my first oil change, but I have noticed a few things I am wondering about.

First, there is a TON of brake dust coming off both my front and rear rotors and I am wondering if this is normal? It looks like the disc itself is starting to show signs of wear in the area that the pad is gripping so I assume this is normal as the disc is being broke in, but has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know how long it is going to last?

Second, the front grill (looks like a radiator) behind the tire has a few bent coils after riding (I am thinking maybe a rock hit it or something)...is this normal? will this effect the operation of the bike?

Next, the bleeder valve (rubber hose coming from gear box) has a little bit of oily fluid collecting....I hear this is normal after riding at high speeds but it seems a bit early since there are only 600 miles on the bike?

Finally, after the first few hundred miles there was some black oily residue on the metal part of the gearbox itself, but I wiped that down and it does not appear to have come back...I wonder if this was a normal break in thing??

Any help would be appreciated...I am taking it in for the 600 mile oil change this week, but I want to get some information before hand so I know the right questions to ask.

Thanks!!
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Brakes/Front Grill/Bleeder

Post by willajabir »

Sounds like a lot of brake wear. Let the dealer look and see if abnormal. I have a lot, but a ton?
I put a mud flap on my skudder and a wire screen behind the shroud to protect the radiator. Easy and cheap fix for a potential expensive repair.
This is a potential problem on any bike with radiator facing the front without some form of protection.
Straighten out the fins on the radiator with a flat blade screw driver.
Drain the fluid each time you have oil change unless it is filling up quicker than that.
Haven't experienced the oil residue...no ideas...
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o