Forza 300 Speedo inaccurate

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Forza 300 Speedo inaccurate

Post by SECoda »

I'll check mine tomorrow.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Mine is within 1 mph at 70 mph. I would say the speedometer is basically right on.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

SPRING SPEEDO UPDATE ok I put a new tire on the rear of my forza 300 it's a larger tire size (michelin city grip 150/70 -13) so far the ride is better then original tire, I haven't really tested for grip as its cold outside 2 degrees Celsius so traction and ride are not going to be as good as when it warms up , but had no traction or ride problems at 0-9 degrees Celsius so far, with the larger tire size there are no problems with the abs all is good,no lights on and works great , on original tire my speedo was reading about 6 kph to hight compared to my GPS and when the rear tire was worn down to just touching the wear indicators on the tire the speedo read 8 kph too high , now with the new michelin city grip 150/70-13 ( slightly larger then original140/70-13) the speedo now reads 4kph too high at 60 kph,80 kph, 100 kph, 120 kph,130kph, Much better! I think honda used a lot of parts from there Silverwing scooter to cut cost and I think the 150/70-13 is much better size of rear tire for the forza 300, its same size as on the honda Silverwing. End result there is no negative in using the 150/70-13 michelin city grip so far.

Don
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

Funny how you were the only one with your speedo reading inaccurately...

And yes, Honda is now one of the best as far as it relates to speedo accuracy.

A class action lawsuit will do that....

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/19/odo- ... lion-cars/
Honda has decided to settle a class-action lawsuit that alleges its odometers were racking up miles too fast. The automaker says odometers on some 6 million Hondas affected by the suit were accurate to within 3.75% on the high side. The NHTSA doesn't regulate odometer accuracy, and the only industry standard is a voluntary one set by the Society of Automotive Engineers that says odos should be within +/-4%. While the car's affected by the suit fall within that range, Honda recognized that its customers expected their odometers "would be based on zero," and they weren't.
The settlement will lengthen the warranty mileage of affected vehicles by 5% and Honda will pay lease-mileage penalties incurred by owners, which is expected to cost the automaker around $6 million. If you own a 2002 to 2006 Honda or Acura bought between April 12, 2002 and November 7, 2006, then you're eligible for the benefits of the settlement.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Surprised Honda settled if it's within the industry standard. It's thought most speedo's on UK cars read slightly high as it's safer than having them read slightly under and people going above the limit - which they do anyway.
Having any speedo read slightly higher makes sense, otherwise manufacturers would be open to being sued by people getting fined due to being a few mph over in a camera-controlled zone, which has happened in this country.
chucktuna
Year: 2013

Post by chucktuna »

Honda avoids lawsuits almost to a fault...
The Japanese are very leery of the US justice/ legal system.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

chucktuna wrote:Funny how you were the only one with your speedo reading inaccurately...

And yes, Honda is now one of the best as far as it relates to speedo accuracy.

A class action lawsuit will do that....

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/19/odo- ... lion-cars/
Honda has decided to settle a class-action lawsuit that alleges its odometers were racking up miles too fast. The automaker says odometers on some 6 million Hondas affected by the suit were accurate to within 3.75% on the high side. The NHTSA doesn't regulate odometer accuracy, and the only industry standard is a voluntary one set by the Society of Automotive Engineers that says odos should be within +/-4%. While the car's affected by the suit fall within that range, Honda recognized that its customers expected their odometers "would be based on zero," and they weren't.
The settlement will lengthen the warranty mileage of affected vehicles by 5% and Honda will pay lease-mileage penalties incurred by owners, which is expected to cost the automaker around $6 million. If you own a 2002 to 2006 Honda or Acura bought between April 12, 2002 and November 7, 2006, then you're eligible for the benefits of the settlement.
Yes I know all about honda I worked for them for a long time and retired two years ago , my speedo is within the guidelines with the correct tire size and here in canada with a one year unlimited mileage warranty no one is denied any warranty if they have a lot of mileage so there is no law suit against honda , on motorcycles or scooters here in canada,my point is I have owned many honda cars ,motorcycles ,scooters , and many other manufactures of vehicles and have worked on many manufacture of cars and motorcycles in my 33 years career , and this is the most a speedometer was out of accuracy of the vehicles I have owned, if honda has no complaints they will not make adjustments or modifications on any of there products, if they have one complaint they do nothing but if they have 10000.00 they get on it right away.i have checked my speedo with my GPS and my I- phone and are both agreeing that my Forzas speedo is off by the same amount , I am a perfectionalist so when I do my test I do several and using different equipement to verify my test equipement is acurate and check tire pressure with two seperate gauges and adjust to manufacture specs now that I have the 150/70-13 rear tire on and it's new ( no wear as when the tire wears its diameter gets smaller and speedo will show higher)my speedo is much more acurate 4 kph too high now,this is much better then with original 140/70-13 that read 8 kph when worn down to wear indicators and thought all other forza owners might be interested in this topic, and by swaping to a larger tire 150/70-13 the abs light doesn't come on and doesn't set any codes and works normal.
Don
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Couldn't it also be a case of the GPS under-reading your actual speed?

I used the GPS installed into my PCX, and a GPS app on my phone. The internal GPS was reading 69 mph while my GPS app was reading 71 mph. The speedo was indicating about 74 mph.

From what I've read, some map-based GPS won't factor in distance along the z-axis(altitude), which can cause under-reading when going up or down a hill. You'd also have to maintain a constant speed over some period before that speed actually registers.
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

If it was the case that my GPS was under reading then about twenty other vehicles I have tested are reading too low ,so my conclusion is the speedo on my forza reads too high as like what others have said the manufactures usually calibrate the speedo to read too high rather then too low , but what I'm saying is it's the first vehicle I own that reads to the maximum limit on the high side.
Don
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

No idea how to use my cell's GPS...(my daughter tried to teach me during my recent road-side flat tire) and I don't plan on riding and screwing around with a cell phone at the same time - or mounting a cell or GPS on my scooter to distract me...but my new 150/70-13 Bridgestone Hoop rear tire on my Forza gives me spot-on MPH readings via the 3 local radar signs. Not even 1 MPH off according to these signs.
When I can't find my way home - I'll park the scoot.
Fish
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

Fish I have a app on my i-phone called navmii I think it's for canada only as when I tried it in ogdensburg New York it didn't work, I also have a GPS mount on my forza for a garmin Montana 650 it works great .

Don
Attachments
GPS mount on forza
GPS mount on forza
image.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
GPS mount on forza
GPS mount on forza
image.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Try the Nokia "Here" navi app. It's available for iOS and android and can be used offline by downloading maps onto your phone. It seems to work ok when I've used it.