Need help replacing the entire Headlight cluster

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Need help replacing the entire Headlight cluster

Post by Mister_Fube »

Hello lovely people,

It's been a good few years since I've been on this forum. You might remember me from such classic threads as HID/LED bulb replacement, etc. :D

Since my last post, I have emigrated from the UK to Germany. I rode the Forza 300 with my son on the back, from London to Munich, 2 years ago. Now I'm looking to sell it because it's sitting in the garden under a tarp, unused. I cycle everywhere in Munich because it's not a suicidal prospect, like it is on the roads of London.

Now my question: In order to make the UK spec Forza road legal in Germany, in order to be able to sell it at it's proper value, I have bought an EU spec headlight cluster (€500!!!) because the light needs to be thrown to the right hand side of the scooter, now that I'm driving on the left of the road, instead of the right. Has anyone had to replace the entire (sealed) headlight unit, before? If there are any relevant youtube videos out there, I haven't been able to find them (at least, not in English... which was the limit on my search).

Help, diagrams, photos, links etc. all very much appreciated.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Re: Need help replacing the entire Headlight cluster

Post by davenowherejones »

Is your Forza even worth 500 Euro?

Mine isn't but I live in Canada.
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

One of the cultural differences I've experienced in Germany is the seemingly higher value of 2nd hand vehicles across the board. In the UK, I might have thought twice about it, but in Germany, it's still worth around €2000 based on the other examples I've seen for sale on the websites. Obviously I took that into consideration before spending €500 on a new headlight cluster. But it is depreciating, the longer I leave it in the garden, which is why I would like to get this job done before winter sets in, again.

For the same reason, I dismissed the idea of buying a second hand car in Germany - everything in my price range (which in the UK would have fetched an older, decent quality family sized workhorse with no extraordinary flaws) had huge mileage on the clock or had openly rusting bodywork, or accident damage, or all 3 of the above. Plus the emissions rating would have prevented me from even driving it in the centre of Munich, which would have made it completely pointless. So I had to buy a brand new car (first time I've ever done that in my life) with a long loan and small repayments.

Maybe its even worth up to €3000!! These prices seem crazy to me.. I got a good deal for mine, as old showroom stock, that's under £1000 difference from what I paid for it, new, in the UK, back in 2015!!

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sear ... =Motorbike

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nss300a_forza_abs/2014/mrfube/330690]Image
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am not familiar with European specs but I am confused about having to purchase a whole headlight assembly just so the beam will be aimed correctly. Don't the headlight beams have an adjustment for aiming them correctly??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Mel46 wrote:........Don't the headlight beams have an adjustment for aiming them correctly??
No, there is a difference between the shape of headlight beams in country's that drive on the right side of the road [most country's in the world] and country's that drive on the left side of the road [Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, South Africa just to name a few]
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

This help? The Front Cover page (6) tells you to remove the Lower Cover then the Center Cover then the Front Meter Panel and then the Floor Skirt. THEN you can remove the Front Cover which includes the headlight assembly.
1and2.jpg
1and2.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 961 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 961 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 961 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 961 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 961 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Not to get you drooling or anything but I just read an article in which Honda states that in October they plan on unveiling a much more powerful Forza...a 750 version. Fix the headlight and trade it in for one of those! Now THAT is a scooter! The article hinted that it might be following the lines of the X-ADV. An adventure cruiser scooter?? Well, we shall see.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... and-autumn
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Mel46 wrote:Not to get you drooling or anything but I just read an article in which Honda states that in October they plan on unveiling a much more powerful Forza...a 750 version. Fix the headlight and trade it in for one of those! Now THAT is a scooter! The article hinted that it might be following the lines of the X-ADV. An adventure cruiser scooter?? Well, we shall see.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... and-autumn
:o I wish they brought this out a half year earlier then I would have waited and bought the 750 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

This is all very good and exciting, but if the new , bigger, Forza is going to be priced like X-Adv or Integra and in the same league as NC750, then the story ends there..., here in Thailand those are very very expensive and way out of most people's budget..., not that but more than price someone is prepared to spend on two wheels...!

Forza 350 here is priced very near old 300, and I think most new Forza buyers will be aiming for that. I just wish they had gone for 400 to make it a more solid upgrade option and kept offering 300 alongside....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mister_Fube wrote:In order to make the UK spec Forza road legal in Germany, in order to be able to sell it at it's proper value, I have bought an EU spec headlight cluster (€500!!!) because the light needs to be thrown to the right hand side of the scooter, now that I'm driving on the left of the road, instead of the right.
Someone has been misleading you.
The headlamp unit on the Forza is exactly the same in the UK as on mainland Europe.
The low beam pattern is symmetrical.
This has been standard practice for years so that manufacturers don't have to tool up for two different headlamp units.

UK model part number: 33102K04931
EU model part number: 33102K04931

Spot the difference?
Correct, there isn't one.
Look at the models it fits by scrolling down this page.
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 3102K04931

I would take the headlamp back and ask for a refund.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Mister_Fube wrote:In order to make the UK spec Forza road legal in Germany, in order to be able to sell it at it's proper value, I have bought an EU spec headlight cluster (€500!!!) because the light needs to be thrown to the right hand side of the scooter, now that I'm driving on the left of the road, instead of the right.
The headlamp unit on the Forza is exactly the same in the UK as on mainland Europe.
This has been standard practice for years so that manufacturers don't have to tool up for two different headlamp units.

Spot the difference?

Oof!
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

gn2 wrote:

Spot the difference?

Probably doesn't need my instructions then!! :geek: :geek:
Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

Limey wrote:This help? The Front Cover page (6) tells you to remove the Lower Cover then the Center Cover then the Front Meter Panel and then the Floor Skirt. THEN you can remove the Front Cover which includes the headlight assembly.
Wow! Yes! I think that's exactly what I was looking for. Where did you find this? Is there a higher resolution version I can download for myself, somewhere? Thank you so much!

Mister_Fube
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister_Fube »

Limey wrote:
gn2 wrote:

Spot the difference?

Hmm. Yes, this is a problem. I blew €500 on a new one. I'll check with my bike mechanic friend and see if he can corroborate this. The original purchase was months ago now.. not sure if they will accept it back again, although it's just been sitting in its box in my shed. I opened it just to inspect the contents.

Probably doesn't need my instructions then!! :geek: :geek: